2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

Dematrius Davis stats this season through six games:

-86-of-111 passing (77.5%), 1,475 yards, 15 touchdowns, 1 interception.

-44 carries, 298 yards, 7 touchdowns.

Music Video Wow GIF by Epitaph Records - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Dematrius Davis stats this season through six games:

-86-of-111 passing (77.5%), 1,475 yards, 15 touchdowns, 1 interception.

-44 carries, 298 yards, 7 touchdowns.

Music Video Wow GIF by Epitaph Records - Find & Share on GIPHY

Almost 78% completion percentage % *chef kiss* that’s the main number I’m looking at now for QB’s we recruit

We need to do everything to keep this man. I know Gus would never do this but I want a for real open QB competition next year 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

We need to do everything to keep this man. I know Gus would never do this but I want a for real open QB competition next year 

Not gonna happen. 

On 10/30/2020 at 7:55 PM, DAG said:

I say wait until the end of the season to decide if there needs to be a competition. I know Bo has been struggling this year behind that paper thin OL, but he is improving along with the OL (for the most part, still some very bad plays especially in pass blocking). If he looks lost the rest of the year, yeah maybe give DD a first string shot and see what happens but it’s very unlikely that he can beat out a 2 year starter. Can’t waste too much time on a competition when your career is on the line. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I say wait until the end of the season to decide if there needs to be a competition. I know Bo has been struggling this year behind that paper thin OL, but he is improving along with the OL (for the most part, still some very bad plays especially in pass blocking). If he looks lost the rest of the year, yeah maybe give DD a first string shot and see what happens but it’s very unlikely that he can beat out a 2 year starter. Can’t waste too much time on a competition when your career is on the line. 

You are right . I was frustrated when I posted this but if Bo can show consistency it would be the best of both worlds for DD to wait and learn 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 8:03 PM, WarTim said:

Not gonna happen. 

I think this kid is the kind of QB we need. But if there is a competition Bo would probably honestly win initially because of his knowledge of the system and having played for 2 years in the SEC so is more familiar with the speed of the game. I like Bo but I think he was overly- hyped because of his lineage he is a good QB but until I see him be able to play well on the road and not panic in the pocket I have to say he is ok at this time. I think Davis will be a better QB for our offense. That said Davis while playing in Texas against some really good teams has not played at the college level himself. It is easy to get enamored with a HS QB. 

As fans we tend to see what we want to see.  We all want another Nick Marshall and so we compare Davis to him. Maybe it will happen and maybe not. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think this kid is the kind of QB we need. But if there is a competition Bo would probably honestly win initially because of his knowledge of the system and having played for 2 years in the SEC so is more familiar with the speed of the game. I like Bo but I think he was overly- hyped because of his lineage he is a good QB but until I see him be able to play well on the road and not panic in the pocket I have to say he is ok at this time. I think Davis will be a better QB for our offense. That said Davis while playing in Texas against some really good teams has not played at the college level himself. It is easy to get enamored with a HS QB. 

As fans we tend to see what we want to see.  We all want another Nick Marshall and so we compare Davis to him. Maybe it will happen and maybe not. 

He's definitely the type of QB who makes this offense run the best, but I'll wait on making too much of the Nick Marshall comparison until I see him run the zone read in college. He does evoke memories of Marshall with his quickness, but he doesn't have the top end speed Nick had. In any case, I'm excited to see what he does at Auburn. He has a great deal of potential.

Marshall's greatest assets weren't physical in nature. Yes, he had to be very athletic to play the way he did, but he simply saw the field better than possibly any QB we've ever had. The game was so slow for him that it was like he knew what the other 21 guys were going to do before they did. He had a ridiculously strong arm but that honestly didn't factor into his success all that much. He was just a very smart, calm quarterback. 

Is Dee Davis going to be quite as quick or have as strong an arm? Probably not on the former and almost definitely not on the latter. But can he read the field the same way Nick did? Can he sell a fake and hold the mesh point on handoffs in the option game as well? Can he make equally good or even better decisions? Can he be a more accurate passer? Will he be in a more pass-friendly offense that will open up the run option more? 

Marshall was just a very unique quarterback in the perfect situation for his talents. We won't be getting another quite like him. But we can get a guy that can do some of the same things almost as well and some of the other things a little better. But it all starts between the ears IMO. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I love NM, but I want Russ Wilson instead.

• Like 1

He did have ice water running through his veins. I’ve never seen a qb with the calmness he showed in even the worst circumstances. Might have been his greatest traits.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3

Nick M is probably the most under appreciated QB in Auburn history. 

And  I hope Chad Morris,  Bo and DD  work and develop to the point Auburn becomes a QB destination. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dude just wins games! Can’t wait to see what CCM can do with him.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 8:55 PM, DAG said:

Sorry man, Bo's daddy was a QB at Auburn.

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Lol indeed. That's maybe the most efficient stat line I've ever seen. 25+ yards per *attempt* and 10.3 per carry... a touchdown every third time he touched the ball... pretty sure he could be brought up on obscenity charges in 13 states and one US territory. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 11:02 AM, Sizzle said:

Even if Bicknell does turn out to be a home run hire as OL coach, I rather doubt Davis will have that kind of time to throw the ball when he gets his shot in a couple of years. Still, was a nice strike, and hit the receiver in stride (smidgen high, but well within the easy catch zone), so great play.

On 11/15/2020 at 9:28 AM, woodford said:

Sorry man, Bo's daddy was a QB at Auburn.

If you think that's why there won't be an open QB competition, then I don't know what to say to you. Bo was 9-3 and SEC Freshman of the Year last year, is 4-2 this year, and has looked spectacular the last two games. Gus isn't going to hold a QB competition because he'll have a 2 year returning starter coming back, not because that returning starter is an Auburn legacy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

If you think that's why there won't be an open QB competition, then I don't know what to say to you. Bo was 9-3 and SEC Freshman of the Year last year, is 4-2 this year, and has looked spectacular the last two games. Gus isn't going to hold a QB competition because he'll have a 2 year returning starter coming back, not because that returning starter is an Auburn legacy.

No you don’t understand. Bo only got freshman of the year because he’s an Auburn legacy. It’s not like he set multiple freshman passing records at Auburn or anything like that 

• Haha 3