2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

On 11/17/2020 at 4:26 PM, Sizzle said:

No you don’t understand. Bo only got freshman of the year because he’s an Auburn legacy. It’s not like he set multiple freshman passing records at Auburn or anything like that 

Well, to be fair, I only remember one Auburn freshman starting at QB for the whole season before Bo last year, and that was Stan White in 1990, when we only played 11 regular season games...but yeah, no.

• Like 1

It is incredibly hard for a high school QB to come in without time in the system (even if they enroll in Jan) and unseat an accomplished QB in any program.   This is true even in bad or mediocre programs.

Yes you have examples like T Lawrence, but he did not start game one and if I recall he came in when the other guy got injured (game 2? Game 3?).   

Bo is just now learning what C Morris wants in certain situations.  And he has the nads to call out even Seth Williams when it warrants it.  

I don't think most people appreciate what Bo is accomplishing right now.  How quick we are to forget all the QBs since 2013 like J Johnson  who had all the tools, but couldn't make the jump to SEC caliber play.  In my opinion Bo cost us the UF game and although he threw 3 picks vs USC, I think USC had our number.

And for the record, I told my son just yesterday I think DD is better in HS that Bo was.   But I still doubt DD could unseat Bo given a fair chance.   Bo is  very, very good and getting better.  We need to appreciate that we have a QB that is getting better and not regressing (which is our pattern).  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Beaker said:

It is incredibly hard for a high school QB to come in without time in the system (even if they enroll in Jan) and unseat an accomplished QB in any program.   This is true even in bad or mediocre programs.

Yes you have examples like T Lawrence, but he did not start game one and if I recall he came in when the other guy got injured (game 2? Game 3?).   

Bo is just now learning what C Morris wants in certain situations.  And he has the nads to call out even Seth Williams when it warrants it.  

I don't think most people appreciate what Bo is accomplishing right now.  How quick we are to forget all the QBs since 2013 like J Johnson  who had all the tools, but couldn't make the jump to SEC caliber play.  In my opinion Bo cost us the UF game and although he threw 3 picks vs USC, I think USC had our number.

And for the record, I told my son just yesterday I think DD is better in HS that Bo was.   But I still doubt DD could unseat Bo given a fair chance.   Bo is  very, very good and getting better.  We need to appreciate that we have a QB that is getting better and not regressing (which is our pattern).  

I agree Bo is getting better which is a departure from the past I also agree Davis looked better in HS but like you said we will have a 2 year starter competing against a freshman so I expect BO to win.  That said part of the progression Bo has made is by running more and Davis will be even better in that part of the game. Bo will win next year but Davis will be breathing down his neck as season progresses which should make Bo better and also give us a legitimate backup if Bo gets hurt.  

Having Davis will also affect the fan base. If Bo has a bad game you will hear a huge call for Davis as fans always seem to think the backup will do better especially if the backup is highly acclaimed out of HS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized who this kid is. I know,  I know just call me fashionable late. Lol. Anyways, watched this kid his soph and jr year in the title game. I know it’s been said here before, but it should be reiterated. WINNER!!  Do yourselves a favor and watch the state championship game when he was a soph.  It was one of the best football games I’ve ever watched. It’s been a while and I definitely was not watching it looking for a future  Tigers. TBH, I was more keenly watching the other teams QB (who was a JR that I believe went on to sign with Texas),  but he had all the tangibles you look for in a QB...back to Davis, The one thing that I do remember vividly was the fight in this kid. Height seemed to be a concern, but at the time he was only a Soph. and I figured that would change. Good arm strength for a kid of his size. Heck, I think I may go back and watch that game myself!!  Regardless glad this kid is going to Auburn, and playoffs start next weekend here in Texas. So I will definitely be watching through a different lens this year, and am excited about that!!!

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 4

On 11/18/2020 at 10:05 PM, Rednilla said:

Well, to be fair, I only remember one Auburn freshman starting at QB for the whole season before Bo last year, and that was Stan White in 1990, when we only played 11 regular season games...but yeah, no.

Stan was a redshirt freshman.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

New coach, means open competition.

How I wish Bo jg and Willis could've competed in this situation with a new coach

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2020 at 8:33 PM, PUB78 said:

Stan was a redshirt freshman.

Yes, he was. I didn't say anything about whether the freshman had a redshirt or not, I just said freshman.

Just been watching film on Davis recently and his pocket presence and footwork are elite he’s so damn athletic and keeps his eyes downfield at all times, his short area quickness is reminiscent of Nick Marshall. As many flashes of greatness bo nix has shown davis looks special to me. With a new coach coming in I think we’ll have a serious battle for QB1 come Spring.

Edited by Jaxr29
I don’t know how to type coherently
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

War Eagle Welcome to Auburn.

Dynamic Dual Threat QB who is a winner. He is a huge pickup that we can build around. 

• Love 1

Isn't the TX playoffs finishing after Auburn classes begin?

DD is going to be incredible with Harsin.

I watched him play yesterday. I was very surprised at his mechanics, which are much more what they should be than the mechanics of Bo. His feet always seemed to be in the proper position and his throwing motion is just so much like D. Craigs was. He arrives next month and don't be surprised if he puts the heat on Bo. His downside is height. 5'10" is going to be hard to overcome, but he is dynamic enough to be able to make plays in spite of his lack of height. He thoroughly outclassed the bama QB

Edited by chizhead
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

This guy will be competing day 1. No doubt in my mind.

No doubt he'll lock down QB2

Poor Chayil got brought here for no reason