2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

You and I both! 

Now we just need to hit up Katy, Westlake, and South Lake -Carroll.

Seriously, if we can start pulling some key players from TX, not only is that great because it expands our base, but it will impact TAMU and LSU in recruiting.  

We don't need 7-8, just 3-5 very  select kids each year to make an impact.  

To help Big Bird make his point:

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2020/03/22/southlake-carroll-qb-quinn-ewers-tabbed-as-no-2-recruit-in-nation-for-class-of-2022-other-locals-make-ranked-list/ 

Edited by Beaker

3 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I wonder how much Jeff Blake was involved in connecting dots.   Could be a major cog for us now in a new pipeline. 

Emory is quoted in the article mentioned a few pages back, for what it’s worth 

im sure that factors in a little

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

What is it about SEC Freshman of the Year Bo Nix that makes you think he's not a fit?

Mikey did you watch sec ball last season ? I know Nix did his best , but stingley was the best freshman in America . I get it we are not debating that. I hope Nix does better with Morris , but in my opinion Davis is going to be a better fit . That’s all. Watching this kid reminds me of Nick Marshall . He gave DCs nightmares .  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Mikey did you watch sec ball last season ? I know Nix did his best , but stingley was the best freshman in America . I get it we are not debating that. I hope Nix does better with Morris , but in my opinion Davis is going to be a better fit . That’s all. Watching this kid reminds me of Nick Marshall . He gave DCs nightmares .  

Why yes, yes I did watch SEC ball last season. I saw Bo Nix do a lot of things in many games that only a winner would or could do. Nix has the football savvy that only a few possess. He's already given college DC's nightmares. Quoting Pat Dye: "In Bo Nix we have a national championship quality QB  on the team."

Davis can help us if he's willing to do his redshirt year and then be Nix's understudy for a year or two. If he's not willing to wait his turn he'll ease into the transfer portal but he won't be taking the job away from a healthy Nix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Emory is quoted in the article mentioned a few pages back, for what it’s worth 

im sure that factors in a little

As was Jeff on Twitter as a guy who is training DD right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Tahj Boyd thrived in Chad's offense at Clemson and he was a pocket passer. They lit it up threw the air. Chad can have great success and has had great success with pocket passers and true dial threat QBs. Davis is a stud. He is going to get a lot of players wanting to commit to AU because of him.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They lit it up threw the air.

Don't you mean they threw it through the lit up air? :)

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Another sign that Chad is gonna be running the show.  Every month I am believing more and more that we are gonna have a more dynamic, less predictable offense!!!!!   Besides all the physical tools this kid seems to have the right mindset and football IQ to make himself one of the greats.  War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure seems that way.

If this kid was 2 inches taller everyone in the country would be fighting over him. Legit stud QB. Props to Chad.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

@JDUBB4AU @Mikey Drop the debate or take it somewhere else. This thread right now should be celebrating Davis committing to Auburn.

Nix isn't the type of QB that Chad is going after or the direction he will take in the next few years. Not a knock on anyone but this is true. From all I see, Chad is running the show. He will work his offense around Bo but will see the Davis's of the world from here on out.

• Like 1

Not trying to have a QB controversy here, but jw. A lot of twitter reactions have been "why should you go there since they have nix?" Is there any indication that if Bo struggles this kid will get a viable chance early on? I really hope our mindset has changed in that practice and we don't fall in love with one guy. I want every position to be a battle no matter what the classification of the players may be.

18 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

E, you were doing so well with sarcasm there for a few months! Gotta get you back on ur game. We’ve gotta get you some more at bats 

I thought that was a layup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not trying to have a QB controversy here, but jw. A lot of twitter reactions have been "why should you go there since they have nix?" Is there any indication that if Bo struggles this kid will get a viable chance early on? I really hope our mindset has changed in that practice and we don't fall in love with one guy. I want every position to be a battle no matter what the classification of the players may be.

People are dumb. Nix will be a JR when Davis gets on campus. Sit a year or maybe two behind Nix, redshirt and learn the offense. Take over a a RS freshman or RS sophomore. Win win win for all involved.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

People are dumb. Nix will be a JR when Davis gets on campus. Sit a year or maybe two behind Nix, redshirt and learn the offense. Take over a a RS freshman or RS sophomore. Win win win for all involved.

It really is the perfect situation especially with chad running the show. I have always been a proponent fit matters. Chad at Arkansas nor Auburn were getting these prospects out of Texas. This honestly has the potential to be the perfect storm. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

why should you go there since they have nix?

They are saying that because they assume Nix will be the starting QB the two years after Davis arrives. 

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is there any indication that if Bo struggles this kid will get a viable chance early on?

No. In my opinion Bo would have to be horrendous or injured for Davis to get an early shot. The best thing for Auburn is Bo have two great years then turn pro after his junior year. Then Davis compete for QB1 as a red shirt freshman if he has developed well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I thought that was a layup.

As I said earlier it would’ve been had I noticed people complaining that Auburn were only getting players that other schools didn’t want like you feel you did. I noticed with them complaining about us not getting anybody period.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The best thing for Auburn is Bo have two great years then turn pro after his junior year.

Maaaaaaan, if we could get into a cycle of 2-yr starters leaving after their 3rd years, we'd be sitting very pretty. Even if that was ever a realistic hope, I know it isn't anymore. And I know that would make Bo a 3-yr starter. But if he left after his junior year and then Davis stepped in as a JR/RS SO and then we kept that rolling, that would say a lot about recruiting, development, stability and offensive philosophy. 

I really need football to start. I'm losing my grip on reality. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But if he left after his junior year and then Davis stepped in as a JR/RS SO and

If Nix left after his junior year, Davis would have to take over as a RS Frosh.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Sure seems that way.

If this kid was 2 inches taller everyone in the country would be fighting over him. Legit stud QB. Props to Chad.

can you give us any tidbits of how things are going during the shutdown? is bo improving? is he bigger and faster? which running back is showing out the best for the moment? who is the surprise out of this last class that will shock folks? man i wish you would do a small thread now and again. i understand and think most folks understand on here that things are always changing so i for one would appreciate any insights or talk you might hear without nailing you to the floor if anything changes. you could be our secret weapon for board info with pass the bisquits. just a thought but thanks for what you do share with us as it means a lot to me......

• Like 3

Man this guy look amazing in those video clips. Effortless on his deep passes, great vision when scrambling, and breakaway speed even when playing in 6A Texas football. And 2 time state champ in that division tells you the kid is a competitor and knows how to win! 

I'm not QB coach but to me his throwing motion seemed very over the top to an extreme. I'm curious if others noticed that and if that is considered "proper" throwing motion or not? I imagine it is great for getting the ball over the OL/DL and it doesn't seem to cause to much of a delay for him getting the ball out....just looked a little funny to me. 

Welcome to AU Dematrius! Love getting these big time QBs on early. Usually a great sign for things to come in the recruiting class!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

can you give us any tidbits of how things are going during the shutdown? is bo improving? is he bigger and faster? which running back is showing out the best for the moment? who is the surprise out of this last class that will shock folks?

@aubiefifty These are definitely some good questions but probably about a month early. Given the entire team but Zierer is off campus & won't get back together til June 1 at the earliest I wouldn't expect good sources to have answers to those type questions til a week or 2 after the team gets back together.

• Like 1