2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

@ellitor has it been decided about having a better summer season with players, assuming the virus allows a June start, being most didn't have a spring practice? I am referring to rules allowing coached practices. 

Edited by AUBwins

13 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

has it been decided about having a better summer season with players

huh?

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

huh?

Are coaches allowed to have monitored practice this year in the summer, more like a spring practice or have the rules remained the same? 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Are coaches allowed to have monitored practice this year in the summer, more like a spring practice or have the rules remained the same? 

Not sure the NCAA has made a decision on that yet. That being said I assume that with the unique situation we are in they will be able to have normal practice Time for whenever the NCAA decides to allow players to get back on campus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@aubiefifty These are definitely some good questions but probably about a month early. Given the entire team but Zierer is off campus & won't get back together til June 1 at the earliest I wouldn't expect good sources to have answers to those type questions til a week or 2 after the team gets back together.

i have thought about suiting up in my cheerleader skirt and pom poms and watch for myself but i refuse to shave my beard or my legs. but can you imagine how epic it would be for the team to run out on the field and me over there cheering em on? i am gonna need someone  to pick me up and twirl me around and stuff tho ell. can you handle it? and i am old and fat so do not dare drop me cus it would hurt when i quit bouncing...............winks

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Not trying to have a QB controversy here, but jw. A lot of twitter reactions have been "why should you go there since they have nix?" Is there any indication that if Bo struggles this kid will get a viable chance early on? I really hope our mindset has changed in that practice and we don't fall in love with one guy. I want every position to be a battle no matter what the classification of the players may be.

If that didn’t happen last year when there was supposedly a 1a, 1b situation, and Bo was stinky at times (not trying to do any arguing either), I don’t see why it would when you have a guy as heralded as Bo is currently by everyone with an opinion. 

not trying to insinuate anything, no arguments desired, nothing like that, but i don’t see anyway we have a QB other than Bo starting next year. And that’s probably for the best for Garnet with how tough that schedule will be, and in 2 years, probably in Davis’s best intentions 

The board knows my general thoughts about Bo, but I think we are forgetting something very important when discussing who Chad may or may not recruit...his career didn’t stop at Clemson. He was recruiting and/or developing guys that were more like Bo than DD or Garnett (two different style of guys themselves). Chandler being related MAY have been a factor, but his son was supposed to be Arkansas’s main guy and he was likely the first QB Chad talked to when he came over here. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

9 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

People are dumb. Nix will be a JR when Davis gets on campus. Sit a year or maybe two behind Nix, redshirt and learn the offense. Take over a a RS freshman or RS sophomore. Win win win for all involved.

Agreed. I do think Garnett will challenge though, as I don't think he was brought in just to be a backup. He's very athletic and has a cannon of an arm. We've got some very good options moving forward.

27 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Agreed. I do think Garnett will challenge though, as I don't think he was brought in just to be a backup. He's very athletic and has a cannon of an arm. We've got some very good options moving forward.

Garnett is just a warm body to fill the QB room. He is not close to the level of talent that DD has or displays on screen OR the type of QB talent we will attract with Chad running the show on offense. If we hit on one of our top targets for 2022 like I expect to *knock on wood* he will fall even further behind.

• Like 3

Someone please give me some hope this guy will be different than the last high but not sure cant miss dual threat qb recruit...ala Kiehl Frazier, Woody Barrett, or Joey Gatewood? I want to get excited, but you know what they say about fool me twice. Well, except this time its fool me like 5 times. Objectively, is this guy that good?

Edited by twilli13

31-1 so far playing in Texas's toughest division. Guy is a stone cold winner. Yes, he's that good.

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Someone please give me some hope this guy will be different than the last high but not sure cant miss dual threat qb recruit...ala Kiehl Frazier, Woody Barrett, or Joey Gatewood? I want to get excited, but you know what they say about fool me twice. Well, except this time its fool me like 5 times. Objectively, is this guy that good?

It's always one. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, twilli13 said:

This kid is 31-1 in big time Texas HS football, some of if not the best high school football in the country. None of the other 3 you named can claim that. I like this dude a lot. I also like the idea of getting talent from Texas. GA is getting harder to recruit every year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, twilli13 said:

You want hope? All signs right now point to this being the Chad Morris show in terms of dealing with and developing our quarterbacks and not the Gus Malzahn show. That’s the big difference.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

And that means?

It means there's always one who craps on a big time commitment. That being said, I understand your concern. If Gus meddles I have less hope for DD's development. If it's the Chad Show like Gus promised Morris when he was hired as OC then I am more hopeful with DD. FWIW Morris was not taking the job without assurances from Gus it was going to be his show unlike with previous OCs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You want hope? All signs right now point to this being the Chad Morris show in terms of dealing with and developing our quarterbacks and not the Gus Malzahn show. That’s the big difference.

Please! Please! Please! Be right for once in your life E!

2 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

This kid is 31-1 in big time Texas HS football, some of if not the best high school football in the country. None of the other 3 you named can claim that. I like this dude a lot. I also like the idea of getting talent from Texas. GA is getting harder to recruit every year.

I’m in agreement with the majority of what’s been said here but Woody Barrett played in 8A Florida football and went 13-1 as a starter and Joey went 11-4 in 7A. Those two classifications are pretty good football. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’m in agreement with the majority of what’s been said here but Woody Barrett played in 8A Florida football and went 13-1 as a starter and Joey went 11-4 in 7A. Those two classifications are pretty good football. 

I had a more detailed response typed out comparing DD’s production to theirs but decided against it. If I remember correctly Woody Barrett played in a single wing type offense where his running ability was utilized more than his passing, could be mistaken though. Joey was an elite athlete and a freak of nature... that still didn’t receive the lion’s share of snaps at QB for his HS. I do agree that they both played against upper level competition in HS. Talent is probably comparable to large school Texas HS football, coaching is the main difference between TX and FL football IMO. DD seems to be ahead of both those 2 guys in terms of football IQ.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

can you give us any tidbits of how things are going during the shutdown? is bo improving? is he bigger and faster? which running back is showing out the best for the moment? who is the surprise out of this last class that will shock folks? man i wish you would do a small thread now and again. i understand and think most folks understand on here that things are always changing so i for one would appreciate any insights or talk you might hear without nailing you to the floor if anything changes. you could be our secret weapon for board info with pass the bisquits. just a thought but thanks for what you do share with us as it means a lot to me......

I have no idea. Don't even think the coaches could tell you. Crazy times. Do believe that Chad is running the offense. So that is one positive. 

18 hours ago, AUBwins said:

@ellitor has it been decided about having a better summer season with players, assuming the virus allows a June start, being most didn't have a spring practice? I am referring to rules allowing coached practices. 

I was told that they were going to have a couple of weeks during the summer, late June or July, like spring ball then start back in August. We shall see what happens.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure the NCAA has made a decision on that yet. That being said I assume that with the unique situation we are in they will be able to have normal practice Time for whenever the NCAA decides to allow players to get back on campus.

Won't be a NCAA decision. Will be a SEC decision with the other conferences following the SEC's lead. IMO. Will really be the SEC's schools Presidents decisions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If that didn’t happen last year when there was supposedly a 1a, 1b situation, and Bo was stinky at times (not trying to do any arguing either), I don’t see why it would when you have a guy as heralded as Bo is currently by everyone with an opinion. 

not trying to insinuate anything, no arguments desired, nothing like that, but i don’t see anyway we have a QB other than Bo starting next year. And that’s probably for the best for Garnet with how tough that schedule will be, and in 2 years, probably in Davis’s best intentions 

Davis is the better QB than Garnet the day Davis steps on campus. Davis is real real good. IMO. And it isn't even close.

9 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Let's see here:

-Completely different staff than Frazier. Gus was his OC but now Gus is his HC and Morris is his OC. You'd be justified to remain skeptical about how much control Morris will have over the offense, but the fact that we just landed a big time QB recruit out of a big time Texas high school- along with the two OLs and the speedy WR, all in one weekend- shows you that things are already going much differently on offense than they have since Gus became head coach.

-For Barrett and Gatewood, most of the above remains true. We still have the same WR and RB coaches that Gatewood had, and Gus was the head coach for both. Otherwise, it's a lot of new new. 

-Gatewood didn't flame out at Auburn. He got beat out by a 5* franchise QB. And now he's the presumptive starter for a mid-tier SEC East program. 

-Chad Morris coached Tajh Boyd and Deshaun Watson.

-Probably the best answer to your question as asked is to watch film on each guy and come to your own conclusions.

-Objectively, if you have these concerns about this guy, then you have them about literally every high school QB prospect. And that is totally understandable. Believe me, I see where you're coming from. But, personally, I don't see value in voicing those concerns in his recruitment thread so soon after he committed. There's plenty of time for that. He won't even be on campus for another 7-8 months at least. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

I had a more detailed response typed out comparing DD’s production to theirs but decided against it. If I remember correctly Woody Barrett played in a single wing type offense where his running ability was utilized more than his passing, could be mistaken though. Joey was an elite athlete and a freak of nature... that still didn’t receive the lion’s share of snaps at QB for his HS. I do agree that they both played against upper level competition in HS. Talent is probably comparable to large school Texas HS football, coaching is the main difference between TX and FL football IMO. DD seems to be ahead of both those 2 guys in terms of football IQ.

I’m agreeing with you. Just saying those two classifications are comparable. Coaching is significantly better in TX.

(CC @bigbird)

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1