2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

27 offers including AU, VT, Baylor, FSU, LSU, Miami, & Texas A&M
AU has turned things up here
Emerging as top QB target per Rivals
One Rivals reporter would make an official pick for AU if he could

Next to the Salter  he would be my second choice, but I think our chances are higher with this kid.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This kid has a similar wrist flip to Nick Marshall

Yes that is what made NM release and spiral so beautiful.  

• Love 1

This guy should be Chad Morris #1 target. He’s accurate and surveys the field. He‘s a pocket passer who just so happens to have good speed and agility to make guys miss

For those wondering Keith said DD had over 1000 yards rushing & 21 rush TDs last year.

7 hours ago, Sizzle said:

This guy should be Chad Morris #1 target. He’s accurate and surveys the field. He‘s a pocket passer who just so happens to have good speed and agility to make guys miss

INDEED - #1 target.   Please

Wouldn't a QB who is only 6-0 have problems throwing behind linemen who are 6-5 to 6-7? meaning he would need to roll out most times to see downfield. Just asking, would like to know someone's opinion who knows .

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Wouldn't a QB who is only 6-0 have problems throwing behind linemen who are 6-5 to 6-7? meaning he would need to roll out most times to see downfield. Just asking, would like to know someone's opinion who knows .

It's never been a dramatic issues for most QBs that height.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

No that height thing is overblown. I mean Kyler Murray is like 5’9 and he sees just fine. So does Drew Brees and Russell Wilson

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 10:56 AM, ellitor said:

For those wondering Keith said DD had over 1000 yards rushing & 21 rush TDs last year.

Sounds like “true “ dual-threat numbers right there baby!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

He’s got the ability to move around quite well and can extend plays by moving out of the pocket to make up for it. See the qbs Sizzler named.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, Timeslider 6 said:

Speaking of Marshall, he seemed to bounce a few passes off of helmets, but I wonder if that was more about his release than his height. He was able to generate so much velocity on his passes that he didn't have to put any arc on them. He could sling it 30 yards on a rope. And field vision might've been the most prominent of his considerable super powers. 

Sean White was 6'0, and he saw the field well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Speaking of Marshall, he seemed to bounce a few passes off of helmets, but I wonder if that was more about his release than his height. He was able to generate so much velocity on his passes that he didn't have to put any arc on them. He could sling it 30 yards on a rope. And field vision might've been the most prominent of his considerable super powers. 

Nick Marshall in what NCAA Football 2009 @Maverick.AU, would have been deadly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

meh....uhhhh; I would argue Sean White could not see the middle of the field well at all.  Not to be argumentative, but we had some middle of the field crossing routes and he could not see them unless he rolled out.  I think he was definitely limited by his height.  

Doesn't mean we can't set the next QB up a lot better - because give Nix a TE, more options, and a scheme that builds upon itself, we may be looking at 35+ points per game next year.   

18 hours ago, Beaker said:

meh....uhhhh; I would argue Sean White could not see the middle of the field well at all.  Not to be argumentative, but we had some middle of the field crossing routes and he could not see them unless he rolled out.  I think he was definitely limited by his height.  

Doesn't mean we can't set the next QB up a lot better - because give Nix a TE, more options, and a scheme that builds upon itself, we may be looking at 35+ points per game next year.   

Considering he will be behind a new O-line with only one returning starter and two of our top  3 OT candidates are recovering from Knee surgery that is a bold prediction. 

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Considering he will be behind a new O-line with only one returning starter and two of our top  3 OT candidates are recovering from Knee surgery that is a bold prediction. 

I don't think it's that bold of a prediction. That's only a 2 pt per game improvement.

We're not replacing much elite talent at OL, we have a new OL coach, a new play caller (hopefully), Nix has a year under his belt, he gets his top 2 WRs back (one of whom dealt with injuries last year and sometimes didn't touch the ball even when he was healthy), we should have more overall depth and talent at RB (maybe by a significant margin)... And in addition to that and the enhanced talent at TE, the new play caller (if he is indeed allowed to work) likes throwing to both of those positions a lot more than the previous play caller. 

Now, that is dependent upon some good luck with the health of the OTs as you point out, but it's looking more and more likely that they'll get a little more time to heal up. And almost every good season is dependent upon that kind of luck, anyway. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think it's that bold of a prediction. That's only a 2 pt per game improvement.

We're not replacing much elite talent at OL, we have a new OL coach, a new play caller (hopefully), Nix has a year under his belt, he gets his top 2 WRs back (one of whom dealt with injuries last year and sometimes didn't touch the ball even when he was healthy), we should have more overall depth and talent at RB (maybe by a significant margin)... And in addition to that and the enhanced talent at TE, the new play caller (if he is indeed allowed to work) likes throwing to both of those positions a lot more than the previous play caller. 

Now, that is dependent upon some good luck with the health of the OTs as you point out, but it's looking more and more likely that they'll get a little more time to heal up. And almost every good season is dependent upon that kind of luck, anyway. 

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I do expect Nix and receivers to be better and I hope we use the TE properly. While last year O-Line was not great one of them Prince will play at the next level and another Driscoll might play at the next level we have one solid prospect at OT and then we have two guys returning from Knee injuries one from multiple knee injuries the other a Juco OT fro Germany who has not played the game for a lot of years then we have guys who could not beat out the guys from last years team. I am hoping the reason the guards did start last year is because they opted for experience over talent but if that is not the case we won't be strong at what I consider the heart of any offense (The O-Line). 

The last two years I tried to convince myself we could still be a great team with barely adequate O-Lines it didn't work out now I need to see at least a slightly above average O-line before I will feel good.  Again I hope I am wrong and you are right.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

we have guys who could not beat out the guys from last years team. I am hoping the reason the guards did start last year is because they opted for experience over talent

I think Kaleb Kim might've proven that we weren't playing our best players for much of the season. I could be wrong. 

And I hate crapping on Kim. I really pulled for him for his entire career. 

On 4/6/2020 at 8:06 AM, McLoofus said:

Nick Marshall was at least 6-'1 1/2.

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nick Marshall was at least 6-'1 1/2.

Oh. Well. Thanks for making me look like a dumbass. Jeez.

Good to see you posting, dude. Hope all is well.

(Marshall was the only QB I could think of who ever seemed to possibly have trouble throwing over his OLs.)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

(Marshall was the only QB I could think of who ever seemed to possibly have trouble throwing over his OLs.)

We all dumbasses.

All is well. Really not much to say. Not much interaction going on right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He could bounce a pass off his own players and then make a reception of his own pass too. At least I think it was his own teammate???

• Love 1

Auburn hoping to flip 4-star Hokies QB commit

by Keith Niebuhr

14 minutes ago

Auburn appears to be making Dematrius Davis, a 4-star quarterback from Houston (Texas) North Shore, a priority target and it looks as though that effort will pay off with an official visit.

“I talk to (offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Chad) Morris like three times week,” Davis told 247Sports on Thursday. “He’s just letting me know everything about Auburn. Him and Coach (Gus) Malzahn. They tell me something new about it every time we talk.”

Davis, who committed to Virginia Tech last November, is the No. 6 dual-threat quarterback in the country and No. 134 overall recruit in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. Last December, he helped lead North Shore to a state title. In fact, he has only lost two games total as a varsity] starter.

As for his interest level in Auburn?

“It’s medium,” Davis said. “It’s a great school. There’s really nothing wrong with it. It’s a great place to go. I went there last summer.”

Davis had hoped to visit the Tigers this spring, but noted, “We didn’t have a date or anything.” With recruiting visits now suspended at the moment through at least June 1, Davis now hopes to take some official visits this summer if possible.

“I’ve been talking to (Auburn) about that,” he said. “There’s a good chance.”

In 2019, Davis put up terrific dual-threat stats: He completed 139 of 228 passes for 2,393 yards, 30 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions — and added 1,171 rushing yards on 132 attempts.

When asked what Morris has said he likes about his ability, Davis replied, “Just my whole playing style. He said I remind him of Deshaun (Watson) because of how I can move and how I keep my eyes down field. And plus, he said the key factor for him and Coach Malzahn that they love and preach is that I’m a winner.”

According to Davis, his success at quarterback isn’t just the result of his arm and his legs.

“I feel like it’s about trust,” Davis said. “Trust in my teammates. You can’t beat a team by yourself. You have to rely on your receivers and offensive linemen to make blocks and catch passes. Then, your defense has to make the stops. Every year, I’m pretty sure they’re going to do that. Our (defensive coordinator) is amazing. I trust them all. I like being around them. I’m friends with players on both sides of the ball.”

As of now, Davis feels good about his pledge to the Hokies, he said. But he wants to see what is out there.

“I feel like I’m pretty locked in to Virginia Tech, but I still want to take two or three official visits,” Davis said. “Just to see how it is. You just take an official visit to one school and decide where you want to spend your next three or four years. It’s really a lifetime decision.”