2021 4* S Kamren Kinchens (Miami)

ellitor

28 offers including AU, LSU, Bama, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Miami, Ohio St, Oregon, Vols, Texas A&M
Keith thinks AU is in a good spot here.
Kinchens said he will for sure OV AU

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

10 INT’s and he plays ball in south Florida? That’s all I need to see

The difference is he is playing a MOF, CV 1 safety. Not trying to minimize his accomplishment, but all he is having to do is play center field. It's much easier to rack up INTs at that position in that coverage.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The difference is he is playing a MOF, CV 1 safety. Not trying to minimize his accomplishment, but all he is having to do is play center field. It's much easier to rack up INTs at that position in that coverage.

Well maybe we need to do that coverage a little more because we struggle to get interceptions 

14 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Well maybe we need to do that coverage a little more because we struggle to get interceptions 

Until Steele goes away from his prominent man scheme that will remain the case.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He might have to be a little more versatile in his calls now. Can’t depend on Derrick and Marlon to make most of the plays anymore 

On 4/3/2020 at 2:57 PM, Sizzle said:

He might have to be a little more versatile in his calls now. Can’t depend on Derrick and Marlon to make most of the plays anymore 

I've wondered how much the evolving combinations of talent and experience in the front 7 has influenced his philosophy for the secondary. His linebackers have been extremely talented and/or experienced the last 3 years. When we've been lacking in athleticism or decision making, we've mostly made up for with what we're not lacking in. And lots of really sound tackling. Rushing the QB has been our only weakness at any point, and that's been mostly good until this last year.

So yeah... maybe he's been conservative because he could afford to be? 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I've wondered how much the evolving combinations of talent and experience in the front 7 has influenced his philosophy for the secondary. His linebackers have been extremely talented and/or experienced the last 3 years. When we've been lacking in athleticism or decision making, we've mostly made up for with what we're not lacking in. And lots of really sound tackling. Rushing the QB has been our only weakness at any point, and that's been mostly good until this last year.

So yeah... maybe he's been conservative because he could afford to be? 

Yeah I think he’s definitely been a little conservative. He put most of the pressure on the front 7 and basically told the DB’s “don’t f*** up”. I don’t think pass rushing was our problem, we get back their just fine, our problem was finishing the play with a sack imo.

That was the main reason Marlon came back for his senior year. I hope our whole line can fix that problem like Marlon did his senior year

Yeah, Tampa 2 to me is about as conservative as it gets from a DB perspective and people weren’t thrilled with those results 8-10 years ago

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, Tampa 2 to me is about as conservative as it gets from a DB perspective and people weren’t thrilled with those results 8-10 years ago

The swiss cheese D to today's college offenses.

An ineffective, swiss cheese defense doesn't sound very conservative to me.

Also, we were 17th in scoring defense, 28th in total defense, 47th in passing yards given up per game, and somewhere around 40th in interceptions in 2019. That suggests to me an approach that is content to give up yards between the 20s and not chase turnovers in favor of limiting touchdowns. And while press man by the corners is definitely aggressive, it also has our CBs playing the man and not the ball. And they get help from the safeties. There are a lot of conservative elements in that. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

An ineffective, swiss cheese defense doesn't sound very conservative to me.

Also, we were 17th in scoring defense, 28th in total defense, 47th in passing yards given up per game, and somewhere around 40th in interceptions in 2019. That suggests to me an approach that is content to give up yards between the 20s and not chase turnovers in favor of limiting touchdowns. And while press man by the corners is definitely aggressive, it also has our CBs playing the man and not the ball. And they get help from the safeties. There are a lot of conservative elements in that. 

Based on principles man D schemes are not as conservative as zone schemes unless the zones are zone blitz. Being conservative does not always equate better numbers or performance. For example, in basketball zones are more conservative, safer defenses but they also leave holes for good passing & good player movement offenses.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Based on principles man D schemes are not as conservative as zone schemes unless the zones are zone blitz. Being conservative does not always equate better numbers or performance. For example, in basketball zones are more conservative, safer defenses but they also leave holes for good passing & good player movement offenses.

Yes, I already understand all these things. 

Wasn't looking to start a semantic debate.

It will be interesting to see if anything changes with the schemes in the secondary in a post-DB+Narlob world. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, I already understand all these things. 

My bad. The post came across otherwise.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wasn't looking to start a semantic debate.

Not semantics nor a debate at all. Zones, by nature, are more conservative.

Was just trying to be informative since I incorrectly interpreted your post.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:23 AM, McLoofus said:

It will be interesting to see if anything changes with the schemes in the secondary in a post-DB+Narlob world. 

The scheme has been the same before them and will, most likely, continue to be the same.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, bigbird said:

I don’t think that old of a dog will be changing

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Exactly

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Exactly

TBH I think having a top 10 defense consistently is enough to not care if he does either lol.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

TBH I think having a top 10 defense consistently is enough to not care if he does either lol.

Recruit for the system and not for the player and you'll routinely have a good defense

Just now, bigbird said:

Recruit for the system and not for the player and you'll routinely have a good defense

I think DDavis will be fun at quarterback.

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

With the success he has had with his defense why should he?

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping to update. Kinchens plans to commit July 11th. Miami is still the presumed favorite but AU is very much in it & there are a couple of sources close to the recruitment per Keith who think AU would be the pick.

Archived