2 Receivers May Move to Defense

toddc

2 Auburn receivers might move to defense

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 38 minutes ago 

Share2 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama — Two Auburn receiver could be on the move to defense.

Coaches were contemplating moving receivers Jashawn Sheffield and Matthew Hill to defense, where they would play defensive back, before the coronavirus pandemic canceled spring practices in March. Both may still move to defense, Auburn coach Gus Malzahnconfirmed Friday during a teleconference with local beat reporters.

Auburn loses two big contributors in the secondary from the 2019 season: cornerbacks Noah Igbinoghene and Javaris Davis. Igbinoghene left Auburn early to enter the NFL Draft and is expected to be selected in the middle rounds later this month.

2COMMENTS

"We're still kind of talking through that," Malzahn said. "That is a possibility. Matthew Hill is also a possibility. So we have not made any final decisions, but those are two guys that, you know, have the flexibility to do both. We were really wanting to go into spring and be able to iron all that out. But that's two question marks still out there that we feel like both those guys could help us, you know, in a lot of different ways.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/2-Auburn-receivers-might-move-to-defense-145673869/

Interesting. A lot of people have wondered why Hill hasn’t been on the field more. This suggests that he may be struggling with some aspect of the offense. 

Hill can still get his hands on the ball as a kick returner....

12 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Interesting. A lot of people have wondered why Hill hasn’t been on the field more. This suggests that he may be struggling with some aspect of the offense. 

My guess is the playbook. Gus wanted to skin his hide once earlier last year. 
I like his athleticism. I actually hope he stays on offense. 

24 minutes ago, alexava said:

My guess is the playbook. Gus wanted to skin his hide once earlier last year. 
I like his athleticism. I actually hope he stays on offense. 

That’s what I think as well. I remember him being out of position several times last year. 

I really like Hill and had him as my crush for two years. I think he was our highest rated receiver recruit-even over Seth-two years ago. I’m still hoping he can stay at receiver, but maybe he’ll make a great db if this happens.

Well we have traditionally been successful with transitioning players to the defensive side of the ball.

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

Well we have traditionally been successful with transitioning players to the defensive side of the ball.

To wit, our best CB since Carlton Davis- and who might eventually be better than CD- came here as a WR.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:45 PM, toddc said:

I really like Hill and had him as my crush for two years. I think he was our highest rated receiver recruit-even over Seth-two years ago. I’m still hoping he can stay at receiver, but maybe he’ll make a great db if this happens.

One reason Hill is at Auburn is because we wanted him at WR. Clemson, among other notables, wanted Hill to play safety. Apparently he's agreeable to making the switch now.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

To wit, our best CB since Carlton Davis- and who might eventually be better than CD- came here as a WR.

Rudy Ford is still playing in the NFL IIRC

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

One reason Hill is at Auburn is because we wanted him at WR. Clemson, among other notables, wanted Hill to play safety. Apparently he's agreeable to making the switch now.

Better than continually riding the bench 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Personal experience - the master teacher.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, CameronCrazy said:

Hill should have been on defense from Day 1. I think he’ll give us quality depth at safety. I’m not sure about Sheffield...

Had to get him at Auburn someway! 

If my memory serves me correctly, his decision was Auburn as a WR or Clemson as a DB. 

Seems like with his gangly range and incredible balance, he could be running some picks upfield for Auburn and Coach Steele.  Better running some interceptions back than never seeing the field on O.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

He did have some big special teams plays, so maybe defense would suit him well!

Archived