Mike Leach

auburn4ever

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a weird hill to die on when people are trying to justify a coach who coaches in the state of Mississippi posting a meme with a noose. We get the joke but it’s still really tone deaf.
This has nothing to do with being “snowflakes” or whatever lame words y’all use. This was just bad

Black guy here. Honestly, When I first seen the meme a noose  was not the first thing that went to my mind. Maybe the older generation for sure. Either way I don’t think he meant it in that manner whatsoever. I am sure people will hold on to it though. 

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Because the noose represented the scarf that Gertrude was knitting for her husband. It was the focal point of the joke. Without it, then it wouldn't have been a joke...Just an old woman sitting in a chair with a strange caption that made absolutely no sense.

Obviously if you posted the same thing verbatim, I didn't think I had to explain that. However, if there are similar memes with the same sentiment, as the post I quoted said, then why not post those? 

29 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s a weird hill to die on when people are trying to justify a coach who coaches in the state of Mississippi posting a meme with a noose. We get the joke but it’s still really tone deaf.
This has nothing to do with being “snowflakes” or whatever lame words y’all use. This was just bad

I don't think I've seen anything that shouts "Im truly the one emotional here" more than when someone cracks open a cold "snowflake!!" 

Also players deciding to transfer have seen and heard way worse in Mississippi. They can deny it all they want but from both races. If you are using this tweet as a way to get a transfer without sitting out, you honestly wanted to transfer from the get go. I have seen people share rap lyrics , things about women , etc. All which can be interpreted as offensive. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Also players deciding to transfer have seen and heard way worse in Mississippi. They can deny it all they want but from both races. If you are using this tweet as a way to get a transfer without sitting out, you honestly wanted to transfer from the get go. I have seen people share rap lyrics , things about women , etc. All which can be interpreted as offensive. 

This is my last post in here about it, but I doubt they care about hearing it from people in Mississippi, they probably hear from their families 1000 times to be the bigger man if something like that occurred. I would guess... just an assumption..that this is entirely about the fact their coach did this. If players can have a disconnect with coaches over lesser s*** like how many minutes they're getting or a bad playcall, then a topic like this could make a relationship a nonstarter. Look at the Beilein situation with Cleveland

24 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This is my last post in here about it, but I doubt they care about hearing it from people in Mississippi, they probably hear from their families 1000 times to be the bigger man if something like that occurred. I would guess... just an assumption..that this is entirely about the fact their coach did this. If players can have a disconnect with coaches over lesser s*** like how many minutes they're getting or a bad playcall, then a topic like this could make a relationship a nonstarter. Look at the Beilein situation with Cleveland

And I am saying their coach from his past history has always been a goofball, been a little out there and has never ever had an instance of some sort of racism. Again, I bet some of these same players family members say way more offensive stuff or do way more offensive stuff than that meme. That meme was not meant to be racist. It was legit responding to the epidemic . What kills me is there is legit discriminatory and racist crap to be mad about in society , yet we can’t get people to respond. Oh but this terrible meme. He apologized. At least give him the benefit of a doubt.  You are comparing a meme to someone who personally describe individuals as thugs ? In what world is that anywhere near the same stratosphere? 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think I've seen anything that shouts "Im truly the one emotional here" more than when someone cracks open a cold "snowflake!!" 

Yep they always think everyone else is emotional or triggered when in actuality they’re the most triggered in the room

1 hour ago, DAG said:

What does rap lyrics have to do with guys transferring from Mississippi state?

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Yep they always think everyone else is emotional or triggered when in actuality they’re the most triggered in the room

What does rap lyrics have to do with guys transferring from Mississippi state?

Because some rap lyrics that I have seen shared on twitter by athletes , celebrities , etc are absolutely offensive . Yet it is so common that people don’t even blink . It doesn’t have to be rap . It can be rock, country whatever . But because this picture  has a rope in it, it is interpreted as racist . That’s crazy. If the person was black with the rope would this be a big issue ? If Charlemagne the God shared this image would it be a big issue? 

6 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yep they always think everyone else is emotional or triggered when in act

But in actuality you are pretty triggered 

I am a simple man. I see a Mike Leach thread. I come in to the thread. And I let everyone know I FREAKING LOVE MIKE LEACH!!! SO SO SO SO HAPPY HE IS IN THE SEC!!!!! MAKE THE SEC FUN AGAIN!!!! Finally a coach in the SEC I can wrap my arms around and shout to the rooftops I AM A HUGE FAN OF THIS COACH!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! 

OK sorry to hijack y'alls thread. Back to whatever y'all were discussing which is above my IQ and pay grade level! lmao. 

hh.gif

ree.gif

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Because some rap lyrics that I have seen shared on twitter by athletes , celebrities , etc are absolutely offensive . Yet it is so common that people don’t even blink . It doesn’t have to be rap . It can be rock, country whatever . But because this picture as a rope in it, it is interpreted as racist . That’s crazy. If the person was black with the rope would this be a big issue ? If Charlemagne the God shared this image would it be a big issue? 

Why do you keep deflecting with these weird hypothetical questions? How did you manage to bring up rap music and Charlemagne the god in a Mike Leach thread?

Just now, Sizzle said:

Why do you keep deflecting with these weird hypothetical questions? How did you manage to bring up rap music and Charlemagne the god in a Mike Leach thread?

How did you manage to be offended by a meme about the corona virus?  Again, I am not offended by it but I am suppose to be offended by it because it’s overly racist correct ? 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

How did you manage to be offended by a meme about the corona virus? 

Noose memes are never funny. Especially given the history of it in the south and Mississippi specifically. RIP Emmitt Till

8 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Noose memes are never funny. Especially given the history of it in the south and Mississippi specifically. RIP Emmitt Till

So the noose is racist ? Emitt Till has nothing to do with that meme. Did you know emmitt till was pistol whipped till he was unconscious ? So does that mean anyone who shares anything with a gun supports lynching ?

And the sad thing about it is this guy referenced Emmitt Till and till was never hung with a noose. This is what I mean . 

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

So the noose is racist ? Emitt Till has nothing to do with that meme. Did you know emmitt till was pistol whipped till he was unconscious ? So does that mean anyone who shares anything with a gun supports lynching ?

He was lynched

5 hours ago, DAG said:

And I am saying their coach from his past history has always been a goofball, been a little out there and has never ever had an instance of some sort of racism. Again, I bet some of these same players family members say way more offensive stuff or do way more offensive stuff than that meme. That meme was not meant to be racist. It was legit responding to the epidemic . What kills me is there is legit discriminatory and racist crap to be mad about in society , yet we can’t get people to respond. Oh but this terrible meme. He apologized. At least give him the benefit of a doubt.  You are comparing a meme to someone who personally describe individuals as thugs ? In what world is that anywhere near the same stratosphere? 

Even if you don't think there's any racial connotations to it (which there might not be), the fact you couldn't admit anywhere in your post that posting this specific meme, when he's specifically who he is and is coaching in the specific state he is coaching in, is stupid, is crazy to me. 

Again, dismiss every normal everyday person except those in that football program, and namely the players. You're not giving their POV any attention, bc you're busy looking at it how YOU think they should. I can't speak for every black person at every SEC school, but the ones I know, and me myself, thin ice moments like this are something we expect to experience at least once but don't actively seek. No one wants to have a discussion like this, but it's just what happens when you use images that have a negative meaning.

I think Leach should understand how to avoid those thin ice moments, that's an adjustment every other southern coach ever has to had make

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Even if you don't think there's any racial connotations to it (which there might not be), the fact you couldn't admit anywhere in your post that posting this specific meme, when he's specifically who he is and is coaching in the specific state he is coaching in, is stupid, is crazy to me. 

Again, dismiss every normal everyday person except those in that football program, and namely the players. You're not giving their POV any attention, bc you're busy looking at it how YOU think they should. I can't speak for every black person at every SEC school, but the ones I know, and me myself, thin ice moments like this are something we expect to experience at least once but don't actively seek. No one wants to have a discussion like this, but it's just what happens when you use images that have a negative meaning.

I think Leach should understand how to avoid those thin ice moments, that's an adjustment every other southern coach ever has to had make

I am having the discussion with you right now as another black man and completely disagree with you . If you want to be offended by this meme go right ahead . I think that’s crazy in itself. So I hear your point of view and I don’t agree with it . You don’t have to like it just like you don’t have to like mine or other point of views on this thread . And guess what? It doesn’t make them racist because of such.

And Leach apologizes. My thing is I just posted a link of lil Wayne be way more distasteful and none of you guys even responded to it. Shouldn’t he be more aware of it then anybody ? A black man who grew up in the south? If I listen or share lil Wayne music does that mean I support lynching now?

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am having the discussion with you right now as another black man and completely disagree with you . If you want to be offended by this meme go right ahead . I think that’s crazy in itself. So I hear your point of view and I don’t agree with it . You don’t have to like it just like you don’t have to like mine or other point of views on this thread . And guess what? It doesn’t make them racist because of such.

And Leach apologizes. My thing is I just posted a link of lil Wayne be way more distasteful and none of you guys even responded to it. Shouldn’t he be more aware of it then anybody ? A black man who grew up in the south? If I listen or share lil Wayne music does that mean I support lynching now?

Alright Ill address every point in an outline way:

1. I'm not personally offended by this; HOWEVER, it is VERY easy to see why some out of region kid that probably got told multiple times how rare instances LIKE THIS are by the coaching staff.  He probably feels a little bit upset. The players from instate that've probably been forced to engage with similar discourses their entire life also didn't expect to be in a situation like this with their coach, I'd guess. Think about this in a plain way, what black player in Mississippi is going to see their 60+ year old white head coach tweet a picture of a noose and not have some reaction? I have never in my life seen someone express the sentiment in this meme with a noose. Why use that over the 100 different objects you could use? 

2. A ton of people that say things that are racially insensitive apologize, what does an apology mean? Yeah it'd be worse if he was recalcitrant in reacting to the blowback, but it doesn't absolve him of criticism just bc he apologized. That card should stop working on people once you get out of elementary school

3. Your POV is yours the same as mine, I don't feel any way about you expressing it. Your earlier posts were demeaning the players there for considering transferring like they had prior desire to do so, or just quit. You weren't trying to see THEIR POV. 

4. Lil Wayne's reputation was roasted and murdered in the public eye for months after posting that lyric. And not primarily by white people, if that's what you were alluding to. His contemporaries, ton of black fans, other hip hop pundits, it was pretty easy to find criticism, I could spend the next 5 pages posting that. and the funny thing (and what makes me question you using this as a point at all) he said that in a genre of music that routinely features hyperbolic references and off the top wording. There's a high tolerance of things you're allowed to say. Then Lil Wayne pushed what was acceptable.

Mike Leach has been given a high tolerance of things he's allowed to say...

25 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Alright Ill address every point in an outline way:

1. I'm not personally offended by this; HOWEVER, it is VERY easy to see why some out of region kid that probably got told multiple times how rare instances LIKE THIS are by the coaching staff.  He probably feels a little bit upset. The players from instate that've probably been forced to engage with similar discourses their entire life also didn't expect to be in a situation like this with their coach, I'd guess. Think about this in a plain way, what black player in Mississippi is going to see their 60+ year old white head coach tweet a picture of a noose and not have some reaction? I have never in my life seen someone express the sentiment in this meme with a noose. Why use that over the 100 different objects you could use? 

2. A ton of people that say things that are racially insensitive apologize, what does an apology mean? Yeah it'd be worse if he was recalcitrant in reacting to the blowback, but it doesn't absolve him of criticism just bc he apologized. That card should stop working on people once you get out of elementary school

3. Your POV is yours the same as mine, I don't feel any way about you expressing it. Your earlier posts were demeaning the players there for considering transferring like they had prior desire to do so, or just quit. You weren't trying to see THEIR POV. 

4. Lil Wayne's reputation was roasted and murdered in the public eye for months after posting that lyric. And not primarily by white people, if that's what you were alluding to. His contemporaries, ton of black fans, other hip hop pundits, it was pretty easy to find criticism, I could spend the next 5 pages posting that. and the funny thing (and what makes me question you using this as a point at all) he said that in a genre of music that routinely features hyperbolic references and off the top wording. There's a high tolerance of things you're allowed to say. Then Lil Wayne pushed what was acceptable.

Mike Leach has been given a high tolerance of things he's allowed to say...

You are completely offended by this or else you wouldn’t keep using the same ole argument of we don’t see your POV. I completely see the other side and I don’t agree. Sue me. 

2. We aren’t talking about a ton of people. We are talking about Mike Leach. If the apology doesn’t mean a thing to you, why are you even in this discussion? Your mind has been set. Who said he was above criticism? You can criticize him all day , but don’t get upset with me because I disagree with your criticism. Can’t have it both ways. 

3. Again, I did see their POV. If they want to leave because of that tweet that is fine . I personally think it is a cop out. That’s me. They don’t have to like it but I would express that same thing to any one of my family members who would do such a thing. Again, you don’t have to like it. I would have suggested a much different avenue but I am not going to waste my time sharing that here because YOUR mind is already made up. 

4. My thing had nothing to do with white or black . My question was very simple . Lil Wayne said something that was very distasteful. There was not hyperbole to that lyric. Do you know what hyperbole means? It’s a point of exaggeration . That sounds like a dang excuse. Yet you are alluding to a meme as racist because of an object . And you are saying we should be sympathetic of their POV. Yet Lil Wayne specifically named a person who was absolutely lynched. So does that mean lil Wayne supports lynching? You refuse to answer the question. 

You are legit upset because of a rope. You legit asked “why didn’t he post the pic without the rope?” Then the meme wouldn’t have made any sense. You don’t even take the time to look at the context of it. Does Robin Hood offend you then? 

Archived