Mike Leach

auburn4ever

i cant believe people think they can tell someone what they cant be offended of. just because "you" dont think it's offensive means nothing

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old adage; “if you sow the wind you will reap the whirlwind”

Mississippi State hired a coach who is famous for he is unscripted, off-the-wall, kooky, offensive utterances. Guess what they got 🤔.

Another old adage; “never fault a giraffe for having a long neck“.  I don’t fault Leach for being stupid (because that’s what he is) - I fault MSU for being stupid.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:14 PM, bigman334 said:

i cant believe people think they can tell someone what they cant be offended of. just because "you" dont think it's offensive means nothing

You have a point. But I also can’t believe white folks are more offended than the minorities that are supposed to be offended. 

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

You have a point. But I also can’t believe white folks are more offended than the minorities that are supposed to be offended. 

Isn’t this the *woke* world we live in now?

On 4/3/2020 at 7:57 PM, toddc said:

Tweets, and their true meaning, are very often overblown or misrepresented! That’s why I don’t useTwitter. It’s making our country insane at times.

To borrow a phrase, Twitter doesn't make people look stupid. People make people look stupid. In fact, Twitter takes soundbytes out of the media's hands and gives the Tweeter much more control over what they want to say directly to the world. 

On 4/4/2020 at 10:18 AM, aucom96 said:

That part is being inserted by leftist snowflakes who think any site of a hangman's noose automatically implies a Klan rally. 

Cool. We'll claim the people who think this is overtly racist and y'all claim the Nazis and KKK. Deal?

I read yesterday that MSU gave their statement and Leach must attend "listening" sessions with students etc. and a tour of the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum.

The listening sessions will be difficult for someone who tends to have as much to say as Leach does. 

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/04/07/mike-leach-mississippi-state-apology-culture

I'll put this here and perhaps I'll be drummed out of the AUFamily site but this whole conversation is nonsense.

The black community does not own the aversion to the hangman's noose.  In history Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Non-believers have been hung for their beliefs (probably by the millions) and Christians in countries like Iran & Syria are still being hung today (not to mention the other myriad forms of torture & murder).

Opponents of Joseph Stalin were hung, opponents of Adolf Hitler were hung....then conversely, after the end of WWII, Nazis were hung.  People who disagree with tyranny are still being hung today in various totalitarian countries.

Criminals, murderers especially, were routinely hung thoughout history (I'm sure many innocent of the charges even) and I believe states like Texas still have that as a viable form of execution (but don't quote me on that).  In my family history a distant Confederate relative was guarding cavalry horses during the Civil War, was captured by Yankee horse thieves and summarily hung.  

Point is, the noose is offensive to anyone & everyone.  It's not unique to anybody!  Therefore, intent should count for something.... shouldn't it?  I don't think anyone has accused Mike Leach, in the past, of being a racist and, to my knowledge, he hasn't done anything to make one think he's a racist.  It was a VERY generic joke with a symbol of death for many....not just one people group.  Maybe it's funny in a joke, maybe not, maybe it's even offensive.  But nobody "owns" the offense.

As a Christian, we are targets of offense every day.  Many people on this very site seek to offend Christians.  As a middle aged white guy, it's now okay to offend me because in this current political climate, I'm almost literally the devil to many now......even other (usually younger) white people.  It is what it is.  Until Christ returns, it's only gonna get worse.  So, maybe we should ALL grow a little bit thicker skin.

As DAG said earlier, there's a lot of REAL bigotry (against MANY different people groups) that should be addressed in this world.  A joke, referencing something offensive to many, but with no intent to offend, really shouldn't freak people out.  And if it does, fine, but know you're not the only race, creed, religion, nationality who has suffered at the end of a noose.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:25 PM, McLoofus said:

To borrow a phrase, Twitter doesn't make people look stupid. People make people look stupid. In fact, Twitter takes soundbytes out of the media's hands and gives the Tweeter much more control over what they want to say directly to the world. 

Cool. We'll claim the people who think this is overtly racist and y'all claim the Nazis and KKK. Deal?

Sure thing, snowflake. 

I am offended that nobody here had the decency to show any concern on how this might impact those that suffer from depression. This type of fear, unknown, and isolation, along with financial implications could lead them to end themselves. Just like the meme says. I would in fact argue that said meme is targeted more at that population than a racial issue if anyone should be upset.

Making this a racial issue when it is clearly more of an emotional and mental health issue. Selfish. This is a people issue and can't believe the lack of concern for those with disabilities.

shame.gif

I'm just ******* with ya'll. Though I'm sure in today's society I can find plenty that would really consider it insensitive for leaving that population out of the conversation. For the record I use to have severe depression and I found humor in it.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Depends:

script.gif

Nobody comes together anymore.  Nobody cooperates anymore.  There are no Moderates anymore.  Maturity, accountability, honesty....nada.  It's now all about "my truth" (whatever the heck that even means).....

You've just nailed 21st Century "politics".  Well done.

fl7h1.jpg

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Nobody comes together anymore.  Nobody cooperates anymore.  There are no Moderates anymore.  Maturity, accountability, honesty....nada.  It's now all about "my truth" (whatever the heck that even means).....

You've just nailed 21st Century "politics".  Well done.

fl7h1.jpg

The thing is I can empathize with folks. What I don’t like is the fact that there are assumptions being made without any type of discussion. Context is not being discussed . The ability to make a conscious effort to bridge is not there. And you know if you want to be that way, that’s fine with me, but don’t get offended when I don’t meet you halfway at your talking point. 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing is I can empathize with folks. What I don’t like is the fact that there are assumptions being made without any type of discussion. Context is not being discussed . The ability to make a conscious effort to bridge is not there. And you know if you want to be that way, that’s fine with me, but don’t get offended when I don’t meet you halfway at your talking point. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Agreed.

And while Leach is his own off the wall character, mean lets not forget we are talking about the guy who got in trouble for his "alleged" treatment of an extremely privileged white kid, with a famous father in said profession, cause he wasn't working at the standards of the other players.

My understanding he is pretty hard nosed and very strict with rules.

Guest lurtz
5 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I am offended that nobody here had the decency to show any concern on how this might impact those that suffer from depression.

You really had me going for a second,  and your post made a valuable point entirely apart from the Leach debate.  Nice twofer.

I may be 100% alone in this but I thought Leach was only making a joke about a target that dates back to Adam & Eve, namely marriage.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, DAG said:

I suppose you know you're a unicorn, eh? 

By the way, I've actually been on this board since way back (AuburnEagle) and I had no idea your ethnicity.  Doesn't change one thing for me, and I'm guessing you're good with that...?

7 minutes ago, TigerCatcher said:

I suppose you know you're a unicorn, eh? 

By the way, I've actually been on this board since way back (AuburnEagle) and I had no idea your ethnicity.  Doesn't change one thing for me, and I'm guessing you're good with that...?

Good with you knowing my ethnicity? Yes. People off this board know much more personal stuff about me. 

Gosh, part of Leach's appeal is that he is always good for a sound byte, video clip or tweet.  Granted, most of the time it's entertainment for the rest of the league.  Kind of like Les Miles and Lane Kiffin.   He doesn't have bad intentions, the dude  just doesn't have a proper filter.  I look forward to future media days with this guy, and half time interviews.

10 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Gosh, part of Leach's appeal is that he is always good for a sound byte, video clip or tweet.  Granted, most of the time it's entertainment for the rest of the league.  Kind of like Les Miles and Lane Kiffin.   He doesn't have bad intentions, the dude  just doesn't have a proper filter.  I look forward to future media days with this guy, and half time interviews.

100%. Couldn't be more excited about the hires in Mississippi. It had gotten a little stale in the SEC. Goodness knows our coach isn't going to be the one making it fun and sexy. 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:15 PM, DAG said:

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/29029403/nascar-driver-kyle-larson-uses-racial-slur-virtual-race

Remember that one time I referenced people out there for being straight up bigots? Here we go,

What an idiot. He is paying for it also with indefinite suspensions, loss of sponsors, and fired from Ganassi. Will cost him millions and maybe even his career.

Surprised cause he is half Japanese and his family apparently was put into camps during WW2 cause of it. Wonder if he thought he was privileged cause of it. I've seen some African-Americans state that Hispanics for example can use said word cause they were oppressed by white people. Still you think that background alone would be enough to go hey slurs are not cool as I'm sure his family (and maybe even him) have suffered from them.

Hopefully all sports will follow this example and distribute punishment equally regardless of who the person is regarding these issues. I grew up in a house where it was offensive no matter who said it

I know I hit an awkward situation at an old job. A DM and AM were both Mexican and it was a meeting. After the meeting the DM said for people to take stuff with them and the AM started grabbing a ton of stuff. DM looked at them right in front of me and said "Stop being a Mexican and leave stuff for others". They both laughed. DM then looked at me and stated "it's Ok cause I'm Mexican". I"m thinking no it isn't cause 1) I do that I am fired, 2) You are demonstrating that rules are different based on who you are, and 3) You are enabling that type of talk in the workplace. Those kind of double standards can't be allowed in my opinion.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, lurtz said:

You really had me going for a second,  and your post made a valuable point entirely apart from the Leach debate.  Nice twofer.

I may be 100% alone in this but I thought Leach was only making a joke about a target that dates back to Adam & Eve, namely marriage.

Like Dag said, context and perception. If they wanted to there is a multitude of groups that could be offended by that meme.

• 4 weeks later...

Auburn doesn't have the balls to hire a badass like the pirate. The whole,**** , good christian, saint of a coach is why we will always have a B tier coach. 

EDIT..... We do not use that word on this site.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, DAG said:

The fact is, the imagery of a noose is not a bridge to ANY sort of social understanding --- other than understanding racism and hatred, no matter who it is directed at.

Archived