The first play after an impact play

shabby

No surprise here in the playcalling department. Everytime Auburn has an offensive impact play the next play is always hurry up hand off up the middle. Every freaking time

And everytime it goes nowhere. I'm doing the shut in watch every au urn football game from the last season and I don't think this hurry up play has every done anything positive. So why? What is the thinking here. It seems.obvious that it's a catch them.off guard thing but if every play is the same it defeats the purpose. Was there a time this play was effective? Anyone recall a time where Gus mixed it up and actually passed the ball? Any thoughts as to why Gus repeatedly goes to this play? 

8 minutes ago, shabby said:

Any thoughts as to why Gus repeatedly goes to this play? 

No, but there's no sense in having a hurry-up play in that situation if you're going to call the same play every. single. time. That has to change. It may have worked a few times when the opponent was thoroughly gassed in the 4th qtr but if it did I don't remember those times. All I remember is me calling it before the team even returned to the huddle.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

No, but there's no sense in having a hurry-up play in that situation if you're going to call the same play every. single. time. That has to change. It may have worked a few times when the opponent was thoroughly gassed in the 4th qtr but if it did I don't remember those times. All I remember is me calling it before the team even returned to the huddle.

I know Gus has called a pass play out of it, but i would agree 99% of the time it was a run. In those years we had a strong OL, and a stud RB behind it, we would seem to have great success after an impact play and then a run. It seems to catch them off guard w the HUNH, and we could get even a few more first downs that way. 

But over the last 4-5 years most times it doesn't work well most of the time. Memory seems to tell me we would get stuffed at the line or get maybe a yard or 2, then we would have to stop it, and huddle for a 2nd and long play.

We need it for when we get a big play we don’t want to have replayed. It is frustrating but we don’t do it as much as we complain about it. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

We need it for when we get a big play we don’t want to have replayed. It is frustrating but we don’t do it as much as we complain about it. 

Hmm never thought about that

This is definitely a topic that’s come up many times before and has certainly been debated a ton (rightfully so). I can’t recall 100% but did @StatTiger do a piece before on this? I dont know the reasoning, but clearly there’s all kinds of quick snap plays that can be run that don’t involve handing off up the middle if that’s the issue. I mean, I don’t know the stats and all, but it’s so noticeable that when the topic is brought up, anyone and everyone knows what your talking about. It’s very obvious. 

It worked in 2013 because we had a great running QB in Marshall and and a great running back in Mason.  It also worked with Cam and Dyer in 2010.  We also had good offensive lines those years.  We don’t have any of that now and it doesn’t work now.  It’s not complicated.  

On 4/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, alexava said:

We can still have more than one play for that situation. I can't swear to it, but I imagine there are plenty of very good offenses out there whose fan bases don't share this criticism that we have.

And you're right, it's frustrating that we don't have enough impact plays to complain that much about the play after. :) 

Since coach Morris is our OC, hopefully our play calling will be better when and if we'll ever have football again.

On a big play, the players have to run farther to get lined up quickly for no huddle. I think the dive play gets called so much because it is a play that doesn’t require people on the perimeter to do much, making it easier to communicate and get set quickly. 

It would seem that we could just have a play ready for that circumstance though. While the defense is on the field, communicate to the offense what play we’re going to run if we hit a big impact play. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's because to call plays at this stage in his career, Gus needs to look at the defense, make several substitutions, and have the kids meerkat over to the sideline before he can call his *perfect* play. So in the rare instances he wants to ratchet up the tempo these days the only play he isn't scared to run spending 20 seconds figuring things out is the dive up the gut. It's the lowest risk play he can call. 

what if he is setting this play up so when it happens instead of running that same play because opponents are thinking it will be the dive play he runs another play that ups our chances of it being another play with a better chance to be successful? i read all the time where coaches like to out think other coaches and some have called it a chess match. it is possible he is lulling the other side asleep. i know he loves to do things one way to set another play up. i certainly not a coach but it just seems more realistic to me. love him or hate him i doubt he is doing it because he is a dummy. shrugs.

11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

what if he is setting this play up so when it happens instead of running that same play because opponents are thinking it will be the dive play he runs another play that ups our chances of it being another play with a better chance to be successful? i read all the time where coaches like to out think other coaches and some have called it a chess match. it is possible he is lulling the other side asleep. i know he loves to do things one way to set another play up. i certainly not a coach but it just seems more realistic to me. love him or hate him i doubt he is doing it because he is a dummy. shrugs.

well, he's been doing this for the last 5 years, it might be time to pull the trigger :)

This is my biggest complaint about Gus. Absolutely #1. You would think an offensive genius would know enough about playcalling to call something different after getting a first down.

Let’s just see what happens this year. 

On 4/4/2020 at 9:10 AM, shabby said:

No surprise here in the playcalling department. Everytime Auburn has an offensive impact play the next play is always hurry up hand off up the middle. Every freaking time

And everytime it goes nowhere. I'm doing the shut in watch every au urn football game from the last season and I don't think this hurry up play has every done anything positive. So why? What is the thinking here. It seems.obvious that it's a catch them.off guard thing but if every play is the same it defeats the purpose. Was there a time this play was effective? Anyone recall a time where Gus mixed it up and actually passed the ball? Any thoughts as to why Gus repeatedly goes to this play? 

Go back to 2013&14 watch it work. He has to hand off up the middle no Threat of Marshall keeping anymore. 

I believe one objective of the quick play is to keep the D from substituting.  Most times a big play results in different field position and the D will want to sub, but Gus goes for quick play to keep them on the field which should help for the rest of that entire series.  Now he just needs to call something other than the run up the middle.  Hopefully we won’t see that this year because Gus won’t be calling the plays!!!!

Archived