AUC Recruiting Chat (8/17/20 Chat Added)

ellitor

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Love this. A lot of conversation back and forth about this very thing every cycle. 

It's only when you are way behind on a particular position group year after year that you have to question whether or not the staff has good reasons...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Love this. A lot of conversation back and forth about this very thing every cycle. 

It's only when you are way behind on a particular position group year after year that you have to question whether or not the staff has good reasons...

On the whole Auburn does a solid job of this with exception of O-Line. I know Mikey will jump in and bring up LB's but looking at what we have now I don't think that is valid anymore. Since we need 4-6 O-Line every year I have always felt we should lock in one solid OT every year that staff likes but who is not considered elite but staff believes can develop into an SEC tackle in 2-3 years while still going after the elites. That way worse case we get one kid Staff likes and can develop every year instead of having the drought we have seen at OT in the recpast. 

There is always a risk of slow playing a talented kid hoping for an elite kid. It is especially tough at OT where there are so few Elites and so many recruiting for those elites.

Hopefully we don’t slow play Orr too long. He’s a good looking tackle and he’s been playing football only for a couple years if I’m not mistaken 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

On the whole Auburn does a solid job of this with exception of O-Line. I know Mikey will jump in and bring up LB's but looking at what we have now I don't think that is valid anymore. Since we need 4-6 O-Line every year I have always felt we should lock in one solid OT every year that staff likes but who is not considered elite but staff believes can develop into an SEC tackle in 2-3 years while still going after the elites. That way worse case we get one kid Staff likes and can develop every year instead of having the drought we have seen at OT in the recpast. 

There is always a risk of slow playing a talented kid hoping for an elite kid. It is especially tough at OT where there are so few Elites and so many recruiting for those elites.

I swear if Mike trys to say we don't do a good job of recruiting and developing LBers still..... That is our best position group going in to next season!!! The combo of Steele and Muhhhhhh dude T WILL has completely re energized and flipped the narrative of what the prevailing opinion was during the chiz and early Malzahn years. We have recruited and developed really well there the past few years with the superstar tandem of Steele and T Will!!!! Woooooo!!!! LFG!!!! We haven't had this good of LB play as a unit since well when TWill was a player for tubs!! Haha.

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

On the whole Auburn does a solid job of this with exception of O-Line. I know Mikey will jump in and bring up LB's but looking at what we have now I don't think that is valid anymore.

You are correct. After going roughly ten years without a 1st team all-SEC LB, Muschamp's one big LB class turned that around. You haven't heard me comment on LB's much recently, except to say we better keep bringing in enough talent to maintain.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

You are correct. After going roughly ten years without a 1st team all-SEC LB, Muschamp's one big LB class turned that around. You haven't heard me comment on LB's much recently, except to say we better keep bringing in enough talent to maintain.

Pappoe was all SEC freshman wasn’t he?

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

No. Bama LB’s took up 2 spots on the freshman LB list

51 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

No & it's been in various articles that OP will play with a chip on his shoulders because of it.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No & it's been in various articles that OP will play with a chip on his shoulders because of it.

Man maybe I should pay more attention 

27 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Our LBs >>>>> Bamas LBs in my biased opinion 

I think the same too. But I can’t lie Dylan Moses is the real deal over there 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Woohoo!!!!! I hope he's really angry; especially at Bama!!!!!

Yeah. Definitely the rare year where our total combination of talent and experience is better than theirs, but there was a time we couldn't have imagined that happening at all as long as Gus and saban were both coaching. How far we've come.

13 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Unless you are in an alternate universe, Pappoe and a couple of AU all-SEC linebackers came AFTER the class I referenced: "After going roughly ten years without a 1st team all-SEC LB, Muschamp's one big LB class turned that around."  That class was 2015 on this planet.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Unless you are in an alternate universe, Pappoe and a couple of AU all-SEC linebackers came AFTER the class I referenced: "After going roughly ten years without a 1st team all-SEC LB, Muschamp's one big LB class turned that around."  That class was 2015 on this planet.

Dude, I misinterpreted your post. There is no reason to be a complete jerk. Grow up.

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

There is no reason to be a complete jerk.

Clayton, just...

The Best Baby Yoda GIFs in 'The Mandalorian'

22 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Dude, I misinterpreted your post. There is no reason to be a complete jerk. Grow up.

So, what about those times when you have been a complete jerk? I'm not any sort of biblical scholar, but "reap what you sow" comes to mind.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Since we need 4-6 O-Line every year I have always felt we should lock in one solid OT every year that staff likes but who is not considered elite but staff believes can develop into an SEC tackle in 2-3 years while still going after the elites. That way worse case we get one kid Staff likes and can develop every year instead of having the drought we have seen at OT in the recpast. 

With three potential tackle prospects already in the class, including a four star in Caleb Johnson, I think we can afford to slow play Orr a little bit. I mean, to be completely honest, at this point, I would be more than satisfied if we took him and one more interior OL and called it a day, because that would give us at least three 4 stars at a place where we DESPERATELY need depth. But I understand the logic behind going after one elite prospect when we already have four solid ones locked up and not many more spots left.

• 3 weeks later...

Auburn football recruiting chat recap 7/20/20

ByKeith Niebuhr

I like Gooch being the sleeper as OT is as all have stated is our biggest need. Which this class seems to be addressing. We really need a couple of the JC OT's to step up this year so all the incoming OT's have a chance to learn and improve for a year before being thrown into the fire.

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We really need a couple of the JC OT's to step up this year so all the incoming OT's have a chance to learn and improve for a year before being thrown into the fire.

And/or Bro-Hamm & Austin Troxell.

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And/or Bro-Hamm & Austin Troxell.

Wasn't Hamm a guard at one point? I saw mention of him being in the battles for a tackle position, but I had him being an interior lineman in my head. He certainly has the size to play tackle, I just thought I remembered him being more suited to guard..

20 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Wasn't Hamm a guard at one point? I saw mention of him being in the battles for a tackle position, but I had him being an interior lineman in my head. He certainly has the size to play tackle, I just thought I remembered him being more suited to guard..

@Rednilla Was originally a Guard but talk all offseason has been he's likely the best OL on roster period & most are seeing him as a RT this season. I've posted this info a number of times in various threads the past few months.

Archived