Signs missed and steps slowed in U.S. response

homersapien

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yoy are quoting the that the US has had the largest number of cases and the largest number of deaths and you are correct.  We really can't trust the numbers out of China, Russia, Iran and a few other countries but what you really need to look at is number of death's per million 

Please go to the following site and sort by that parameter;

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also many countries have admitted that if somebody had a serious pre-existing condition and got Coronavirus the cause of death was listed as the pre-existing condition. That skews the numbers. Many of the third world countries are so busy trying to deal with the pandemic they are not capable at this time of providing accurate numbers. If you look at this one interesting things is the more modern countries have higher death per million rates. Probably because their counts are more accurate not because it is a reality.

image.png

i am sure all countries have folks with the pre existing conditions tho. did the major of batom rouge basically say she would have cancelled madi gras if trump had not said it was a hoax or something real close to that. look i am sure any government or say any american president would make some kind of mistakes but what trump did was foolish and very uncalled for. trump is right. he said he could get away with murder and he pretty much had. but hey lets take those shots he recommended or open peoples chests up so the sunshine can get in there and kill those things. i can usually tell a con man and trump has always had my bullsh*t detector screaming. just like he encouraged folks to beat up libs and he would get them out of jail. sorry he is not fit to be a president. some people say honor the office. why? he doesn't.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, homersapien said:

How are we supposed to inject it?  Trump left out that minor detail.

someone else brought that point up and another cat asked if blacklights would do the same  lol. i guess ya have to be part hippie to enjoy that one.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

someone else brought that point up and another cat asked if blacklights would do the same  lol. i guess ya have to be part hippie to enjoy that one.

Theoretically, it is possible to subject a transparent fluid to UV light for the purpose of sterilizing it, or at least pasteurizing it.  Opaque fluids - such as milk - are much more difficult. 

Blood - which contains a mixture of red and white cells and platelets as well as serum is a non-starter, especially when you consider virus can quickly replicate if you didn't get all of it. 

The only positive implication from UV susceptibility is that the virus can be eliminated on surfaces providing of course, that said surface is exposed directly to sunlight or UV lights). 

But that's hardly "news", that's microbiology 101.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i am sure all countries have folks with the pre existing conditions tho. did the major of batom rouge basically say she would have cancelled madi gras if trump had not said it was a hoax or something real close to that. look i am sure any government or say any american president would make some kind of mistakes but what trump did was foolish and very uncalled for. trump is right. he said he could get away with murder and he pretty much had. but hey lets take those shots he recommended or open peoples chests up so the sunshine can get in there and kill those things. i can usually tell a con man and trump has always had my bullsh*t detector screaming. just like he encouraged folks to beat up libs and he would get them out of jail. sorry he is not fit to be a president. some people say honor the office. why? he doesn't.

The Mayor of New Orleans has said many times in the past that you can't believe Trump, this one time the Mayor believes Trump convenient way to pass the Blame. After Trump had blocked travel from China Pelosi makes a point of going to a large China town celebration because she wanted to prove Trump was over exaggerating how serious it was.. DeBlasio from New Your city said keep it open even after Trump finally realized it was worse than originally reported. 20,000+ deaths of the 50,000+ deaths are in New York with the great majority in NYC where DeBlasio basically wanted to prove Trump wrong.  The US has the most deaths so far only two countries have larger populations China and India. China has lied from outset on their number of deaths and I work in IT with a lot of people in India and they have told me the India numbers are no where near accurate. That is why I posted the chart showing death's per million when you look at that chart the US has actually done a pretty good job.  Most of the countries below us have poor health care infrastructures and a weak government bureaucracies whose numbers are unreliable. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Theoretically, it is possible to subject a transparent fluid to UV light for the purpose of sterilizing it, or at least pasteurizing it.  Opaque fluids - such as milk - are much more difficult. 

Blood - which contains a mixture of red and white cells and platelets as well as serum is a non-starter, especially when you consider virus can quickly replicate if you didn't get all of it. 

The only positive implication from UV susceptibility is that the virus can be eliminated on surfaces providing of course, that said surface is exposed directly to sunlight or UV lights). 

But that's hardly "news", that's microbiology 101.

The quicker a virus dies on the surface the less chance you have of touching the surface and then touching your face and getting the virus. The Virus Covid-19 is a corona virus as is the Flu and the common cold both are much less prevalent in the summer when it is hot and humid and there is more ultra-violet light.  So for Trump to surmise that we can expect a similar impact on Covid-19 is a solid assumption. It is not a proven fact as while all are Corona Viruses they are different and until we see the impact this summer we can't know for sure.  Homer you are quick to knock Trump when he says this are you willing to state right now that the heat and humidity that Trump mentioned won't impact the Virus. 

Trump is not alone in saying he thinks the heat and humidity and increased Ultra Violet will mitigate the impact of the Covid-19 Virus many people in the Medical field have surmised the same only time and this summer will prove if they are right.  That said even if he is correct we are still not out of the woods and won't be as summer conditions only last 2-5 months depending on where you live in the US. Depending on how many people have antibodies and whether we have effective treatments by this fall we could run into a second round. 

11 hours ago, MaineTiger said:

I should know better than to jump in here, but I'm booooooored at work already and by myself....(long time lurker in this particular forum)

I'm neither a Trump hater nor lover (we're a rarity), but this was a MOST cringe-worthy moment. Part of me wants to say he was just speaking off the cuff and trying to be a Ra-Ra cheerleader, but this isn't the time or place IMO. He should just step aside and let the others talk (but we know that will NEVER happen). Those pressers are impossible to watch, sorry...

I get that he wants the wheels of the economy to start rolling again, but that puts lives at risk. It's a position I'm glad I'm not in but my opinion doesn't really mean crap and it can start and end there, which I'm fine with. I see both sides of this, but he's talking himself into a corner he may not be able to climb out of. 

Side note... my 95 year old grandmother, who has COVID-19 and is in a hospital in Auburn (I'm in Maine, but I can at least call her) has been taking the hydroxochloroquine treatment and she's starting to turn the corner! Still a scary situation though, waiting on her last test to come back

Last note... homersapien. I may not always agree with what you say, but I must commend your passion and research. I love a good debate, but it seems people don't know the difference between debate and arguing anymore (not implying you there, just making a general statement).

-Jim Lahey

Great news on your grandmothers improvement. I hope she continues on this path. And It’s really good she improved before they injected her with Clorox or Lysol. Just kidding on the injections. 

22 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The quicker a virus dies on the surface the less chance you have of touching the surface and then touching your face and getting the virus. The Virus Covid-19 is a corona virus as is the Flu and the common cold both are much less prevalent in the summer when it is hot and humid and there is more ultra-violet light.  So for Trump to surmise that we can expect a similar impact on Covid-19 is a solid assumption. It is not a proven fact as while all are Corona Viruses they are different and until we see the impact this summer we can't know for sure.  Homer you are quick to knock Trump when he says this are you willing to state right now that the heat and humidity that Trump mentioned won't impact the Virus. 

Trump is not alone in saying he thinks the heat and humidity and increased Ultra Violet will mitigate the impact of the Covid-19 Virus many people in the Medical field have surmised the same only time and this summer will prove if they are right.  That said even if he is correct we are still not out of the woods and won't be as summer conditions only last 2-5 months depending on where you live in the US. Depending on how many people have antibodies and whether we have effective treatments by this fall we could run into a second round. 

Trump was touting sunlight as a treatment.

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Trump was touting sunlight as a treatment.

He also said heat and humidity. Strange that you left that part out.

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He also said heat and humidity. Strange that you left that part out.

What's strange is you are conflating disinfectants with treatments. Trump wasn't talking about disinfecting surfaces, he was talking about treatments.

As Dr. Birx said when Trump asked her if she had ever heard of that.  She (tactfully)  responded "not as a treatment".  (I am sure she was thinking, you are ******* crazy!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 7:53 PM, alexava said:

Great news on your grandmothers improvement. I hope she continues on this path. And It’s really good she improved before they injected her with Clorox or Lysol. Just kidding on the injections. 

I know this thread has kinda fizzled, but she has gone home (well, with my parents in Notasulga) and testing negative for COVID-19. It took a lot out of her and she's worn down, but for a 95 year old I think she gets a pass!

My folks just need to get her over to Auburn (even though she a bama fan) and have everyone cheer her on and pep her up!

A lady who works at my chiropractor says her 95 year old grandmother recovered at home. They were also trying to down play the seriousness of it. So I take it with a grain of salt. 

20 hours ago, MaineTiger said:

I know this thread has kinda fizzled, but she has gone home (well, with my parents in Notasulga) and testing negative for COVID-19. It took a lot out of her and she's worn down, but for a 95 year old I think she gets a pass!

My folks just need to get her over to Auburn (even though she a bama fan) and have everyone cheer her on and pep her up!

Great new! Thanks for the update!

Archived