2021 Commit & Target Rankings (247 Update 1/27/21)

ellitor

Auburn commits and targets in the Top247

By Keith Niebuhr

The newest update of the Top247 football rankings were released by 247Sports on Wednesday and as usual several Auburn commits and targets made the list. Here's a closer look at some notable players ... (Full Top247 HERE)

No. 5 Leonard Taylor, DT, Miami (Fla.) Palmetto

Previous rank: No. 4

247Sports evaluation: Has little bad weight with the frame and length to tack on more weight in his upper body and midsection. Should see his body transform once he's in a full-time strength and conditioning program at the next level. Is a fluid and natural athlete playing along the defensive line. Uses his length to disengage from opposing offensive linemen and wins with a strong first step and quick swim move. Incredibly disruptive as an interior pass rusher. Gets his hands on a lot of footballs whether it's by using his long arms to disrupt passing lanes or blocking kicks. Plays with good pad level and body lean. Finds multiple ways to disrupt the offensive game plan. Will need to continue improving his strength at the point of attack and the ability to hold his ground when double teamed. Looks like one of the top overall prospects nationally in the 2021 cycle and among the better defensive linemen to come out of South Florida in years. Projects as a multi-year starter at the Power Five level with all-league and All-American potential and the upside of developing into a first round draft pick.

411: Visited Auburn earlier this year, but the Tigers have yet to make a big push. If they do, they have a chance to become a factor. For now, Florida is the Crystal Ball favorite.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AU OL target Dylan Fairchild jumps 146 spots to #42
 WR target Christian Leary up 62 spots to #128

Lee Hunter stays at #64
Armoni Goodwin up 1 spot to #71
No change to Phillip O'Brien who is still ranked outside top 247

At 6-0, 225, Cody Brown is the kind of running back that we need. We need to get back to recruiting big backs that can run over anyone who gets in his way.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

At 6-0, 225, Cody Brown is the kind of running back that we need. We need to get back to recruiting big backs that can run over anyone who gets in his way.

Yeah. It's a shame  DJ Williams & Tank are such small guys....oh wait

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. It's a shame  DJ Williams & Tank are such small guys....oh wait

That, and 6'0 225 isn't going to run over "anyone who gets in his way". Almost no RB actually runs over the freaks who play on defense now. Even Derrick Henry needs to pick up a little steam before he starts trucking dudes. 

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That, and 6'0 225 isn't going to run over "anyone who gets in his way". Almost no RB actually runs over the freaks who play on defense now. Even Derrick Henry needs to pick up a little steam before he starts trucking dudes. 

Except V8 in the Iron Bowl! 😝 

On 4/15/2020 at 11:51 AM, ellitor said:

No. 42, Dylan Fairchild, OT, Cumming (Ga.) West Forsyth

Previous rank: No. 188

247Sports evaluation: Has excellent stature and length for the position. Owns a lean build with room to fill out. Long-limbed with large hands. Is a bouncy athlete capable of making some above the rim dunks on the basketball court. Productive on both sides of the ball, playing receiver and corner. Shows high-level ball skills with the ability to track and high-point in contested situations. Can pluck the ball off the ground and come down with diving catches. Also works as a safety some for his high school team, showing range playing in cover two. Physical at the line of scrimmage and can use his length to disrupt wide receivers' releases. Shows fluidity in man coverage and can flip his hips and stay attached downfield. Will need to continue honing his cover technique and getting stronger but shows a promising skill set as a big outside cover corner. Projects as a multi-year starter at the Power Five level with the upside of developing into an early round NFL Draft pick.

411: Fairchild was the biggest mover among players now in the top 50. Auburn is a top contender, along with Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee.

That’s a hellacious evaluation for an OT

5 hours ago, fredst said:

That’s a hellacious evaluation for an OT

& AU offered early when he was a 3*.

& AU offered early when he was a 3*.

Lol, it’s also an eval for a CB. But, I’m glad we’re on Fairchild

7 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I'm lost. does he project as an OT after playing corner?

No. Keith pasted the wrong eval which I fixed.

8 hours ago, fredst said:

Lol, it’s also an eval for a CB. But, I’m glad we’re on Fairchild

Lol. I never read it before your reply. @fredst here's his real eval & I replaced it in the OP article...

Has a well-proportioned build with the frame to easily hold over 300 pounds. Leans out during the winter during wrestling season. Strong in the weight room in addition to being an excellent wrestler. Transfers that strength and functional athleticism over to the football field. Works at left tackle and defensive tackle for his high school team. Plays with natural flexibility and bend with the ability to sink his hips and play with a low, centered base. Has high-level reactive quickness in pass protection as he's able to mirror and redirect with ease. Also effective to getting to the second level as a run blocker. Showcases some athleticism as a defensive tackle, particularly via a strong first step that helps him make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Likely projects inside at the next level. Will need to continue improving his upper body play strength and finishing ability, particularly as a drive blocker. Projects as a multi-year Power Five starter along the offensive line with the upside to develop into a NFL Draft pick.

8 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I'm lost. does he project as an OT after playing corner?

Nope after playing corner looks like he’s projected to slide inside at the next level

I read that twice before giving up figuring it out 

• 1 month later...

Where Auburn commits and targets rank in Top247 update

By Keith Niebuhr

The newest update of the Top247 football rankings were released by 247Sports on Wednesday and as usual several Auburn commits and targets made the list. Here's a closer look at some notable players ... (Full Top247 HERE)

No. 4 Leonard Taylor, DT, Miami (Fla.) Palmetto

Previous rank: No. 4

247Sports evaluation: Has little bad weight with the frame and length to tack on more weight in his upper body and midsection. Should see his body transform once he's in a full-time strength and conditioning program at the next level. Is a fluid and natural athlete playing along the defensive line. Uses his length to disengage from opposing offensive linemen and wins with a strong first step and quick swim move. Incredibly disruptive as an interior pass rusher. Gets his hands on a lot of footballs whether it's by using his long arms to disrupt passing lanes or blocking kicks. Plays with good pad level and body lean. Finds multiple ways to disrupt the offensive game plan. Will need to continue improving his strength at the point of attack and the ability to hold his ground when double teamed. Looks like one of the top overall prospects nationally in the 2021 cycle and among the better defensive linemen to come out of South Florida in years. Projects as a multi-year starter at the Power Five level with all-league and All-American potential and the upside of developing into a first round draft pick.

411: Visited Auburn earlier this year and has the Tigers in his top five. For now, Florida is the Crystal Ball favorite.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 Commit & Target Rankings (247 Update on 6/17/20)
2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

So basically we are in it with a LOT of the top talent but not really the favorite for them.

@LKEEL75 Did you missed this on the Nyland Green, One of the best CBS in the class?

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Auburn is very much in this recruitment -- maybe even the favorite at this time.

Also we very well could be the favorite for Scoob Williams.

4 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

So basically we are in it with a LOT of the top talent but not really the favorite for them.  Always at the ball just never finding that missing glass slipper...

In the last two cycles, we've signed two 5 star prospects and twenty-eight 4 star prospects. I think we've found a few glass slippers...

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@LKEEL75 Did you missed this on the Nyland Green, One of the best CBS in the class

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

In the last two cycles, we've signed two 5 star prospects and twenty-eight 4 star prospects. I think we've found a few glass slippers...

I am not saying that we aren't getting a few gems.  I also believe we are recruiting at the highest level that we have ever recruited.  I'm just saying that we are running second fiddle with a LOT of top talent.  I just wish we could close on more than others. For example: uga had what 5 5* last cycle.

11 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I just wish we could close on more than others. For example: uga had what 5 5* last cycle.

We all need to accept we aren’t going to recruit at that level while Bama and UGA is up like they are on recruiting. Just unfortunate timing. If you take this recruiting staff and put them on Auburn in the 2000s when UGA and Bama were struggling a bit then yes we could have had an opportunity to recruit like that. We also need to be more consistent and win bigger to open up more doors to win those battles easier.

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I am not saying that we aren't getting a few gems.  I also believe we are recruiting at the highest level that we have ever recruited.  I'm just saying that we are running second fiddle with a LOT of top talent.  I just wish we could close on more than others. For example: uga had what 5 5* last cycle.

E said it best in his last sentence.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We also need to be more consistent and win bigger to open up more doors to win those battles easier.

Our record and inconsistencies over the last 6 years is easy picking for rival staffs. Add in the unimaginative and poorly utilizing offense we've showcased and it's tough sledding. If CCM can revitalize the offense and show real player utilization, then it will go a long way in showing the 5* gems that there is real opportunity at Auburn. 

We all need to except we aren’t going to recruit at that level while Bama and UGA is up like they are on recruiting. Just unfortunate timing. If you take this recruiting staff and put them on Auburn in the 2000s when UGA and Bama were struggling a bit then yes we could have had an opportunity to recruit like that. We also need to be more consistent and win bigger to open up more doors to win those battles easier.

Not sure how many times or how many ways it has to be said. We can whine about talent disparity when we make the most of the talent we have. We've done that on defense, but defense only wins championships when the offense gets off the bus, too. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure how many times or how many ways it has to be said. We can whine about talent disparity when we make the most of the talent we have. We've done that on defense, but defense only wins championships when the offense gets off the bus, too. 

What is so annoying is back in the early 2010s, it was, dang, if we only had a defense.

Archived