2021 3* OT J’Marion Gooch Flips ToThe Vols

Zeek

Recently picked up quality offers from FSU, GT, Miami, Miss St., Minnesota, Oregon, S. Carolina, Vols, USC, & VT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tigers land OT commitment 

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 15 minutes ago 

Share0 Comments

Auburn has beat out Tennessee to land one of the biggest offensive tackles in the country.

And, the Tigers went into the Vols' backyard to do it.

J’Marion Gooch, a 3-star prospect from Seymour (Tenn.) King's Academy, committed to Auburn via Twitter on Thursday night, giving first-year offensive line coach Jack Bicknell his first verbal in the 2021 class.

Gooch, the No. 27 recruit in the state of Tennessee for the industry generated 247Sports Composite, also claims offers from the likes of Colorado, Florida State, Miami, Oregon, South Carolina, Southern California, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

He is listed at 6-feet-7.5, 358 pounds. 

Auburn offered Gooch on June 15 of 2019.

Gooch is 2021 commitment No. 4 for the Tigers. He joins 4-star defensive tackle Lee Hunter of Eight Mile (Ala.) Blount, 4-star running back Armoni Goodwin of Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) and 3-star safety Phillip O'Brien Jr. of Deerfield Beach (Fla.).

With this commitment, Auburn will jump from No. 33 in the 247Sports recruiting team rankings to No. 25.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-football-recruiting-Tigers-land-commitment-from-offensive-tackle-JMarion-Gooch-146148222/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200416_200940_AuburnTigers&utm_content=Link

He’s a big freaking dude. Absolute steal of a 3*.

Just now, Zeek said:

He’s a big freaking dude. Absolute steal of a 3*.

Nice list of suitors too.

I know the star watchers are gone come in here and be upset about him being a 3 star but that offer list tells you all you need to know 

19 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I know the star watchers are gone come in here and be upset about him being a 3 star but that offer list tells you all you need to know 

Yeah he’s a 4 on some sites. Might be by the time the recruiting cycle is over. Amazing size and a true tackle (which we’ve struggled getting in the past). Very excited for him and he places us at #25 in the 2021 recruiting class.

Side note he’s definitely on the All-Name team especially coming from Seymour 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Yeah he’s a 4 on some sites. Might be by the time the recruiting cycle is over. Amazing size and a true tackle (which we’ve struggled getting in the past). Very excited for him and he places us at #25 in the 2021 recruiting class.

I predict he’ll make a big time jump in the rankings when it’s all said and done. He can move well for somebody so big

I am super excited about this Cat.   

WDE and welcome to the family.  Glad I am not having to feed him.

(side note:  pretty sure he is the nephew of our univ president, is that ok?  Not gonna be a problem right? ) 🤣

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I predict he’ll make a big time jump in the rankings when it’s all said and done. He can move well for somebody so big

Not sure how often it's happened with OLs but overall Gus has seen a lot of his 3*s turn into 4*s by signing day. It's really something impressive to me. I'm like you. I don't complain about star rankings this early with this staff. Not unless a guy is a true project. 

(Different conversation if we still have a low ranking at a position group of need on signing day.)

I hope that 358 is wrong. It's much easier to add good weight than remove bad weight. It's nice to get a OT thiugh

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I hope that 358 is wrong. It's much easier to add good weight than remove bad weight. It's nice to get a OT thiugh

Rivals has him at 340

Here’s some pics

204D9B4D-52C9-46EE-BF2F-FB2EDAFA8A03.jpeg

6B73B935-22FD-44F5-AF03-46B6453A282A.jpeg

68239324-54B5-468C-A397-0722A18C5481.jpeg

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

Didn’t see a thread for him

Cuz there wasn't one. His name had not been mentioned by AU reporters before yesterday.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* OT J’Marion Gooch Commits to AU!
7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Rivals has him at 340

Here’s some pics

204D9B4D-52C9-46EE-BF2F-FB2EDAFA8A03.jpeg

6B73B935-22FD-44F5-AF03-46B6453A282A.jpeg

68239324-54B5-468C-A397-0722A18C5481.jpeg

Looks like he carries it pretty well to me. And evidently he can move. 

Side note: Grimes never signed guys like this. He always favored leaner guys. Maybe he tried to recruit heavier guys on occasion and was shot down but this is another signal to me that, for better or worse, we might be seeing philosophical differences in the current regime that we really haven't seen under Gus. 

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Looks like he carries it pretty well to me. And evidently he can move. 

Side note: Grimes never signed guys like this. He always favored leaner guys. Maybe he tried to recruit heavier guys on occasion and was shot down but this is another signal to me that, for better or worse, we might be seeing philosophical differences in the current regime that we really haven't seen under Gus. 

I’m biased against Grimes but it seems we got an actual OT with good size a lot earlier than we usually have before. Now we gotta keep him (he is in Tenn’s backyard)

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

OP updated to include profile, notable offers, & highlights.

You’re the best E!

My only fear here is that a kid of this size doesn't always learn the best technique but instead leans on his size.  I am no expert for sure so maybe others can talk through this kids foot work and such.  Though it does seem hard to see based on quality videos

10 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

My only fear here is that a kid of this size doesn't always learn the best technique but instead leans on his size.  I am no expert for sure so maybe others can talk through this kids foot work and such.  Though it does seem hard to see based on quality videos

Legit concern IMO, but if it helps any, that probably applies to a significant percentage of blue chip recruits. A lot of the guys we recruit were bigger, stronger, faster and generally superior athletes and physical specimens compared to their teammates and competition. Yes, this is full on sunshine pumping. But it might be true?? 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Legit concern IMO, but if it helps any, that probably applies to a significant percentage of blue chip recruits. A lot of the guys we recruit were bigger, stronger, faster and generally superior athletes and physical specimens compared to their teammates and competition. Yes, this is full on sunshine pumping. But it might be true?? 

Lineman are always of concern due to sizes.  However, the higher 4* & 5* players are usually in camps and such so much that we can get a better idea of their ability.  The 3* players don't always make these camps and always cause my concern.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

Lineman are always of concern due to sizes.  However, the higher 4* & 5* players are usually in camps and such so much that we can get a better idea of their ability.  The 3* players don't always make these camps and always cause my concern.

That's a good point. And a lot of the 3*s are only 3*s for that reason. We see a lot of star bumps as soon as they do start hitting the camps. Another potential side effect of current circumstances- might not be many (any?) camps this summer. 

This pic looks a little different than the other ones I’ve seen on here. Doesn’t look like the same guy.

C5CA03E6-84C9-43D0-BA63-62539340C1E6.jpeg

Archived