Please say it ain't so.

homersapien

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yes, it was obvious.  All you have to do is watch the clip.

But if it was an analogy as you say, why did he immediately come out and try to pass it off as sarcasm directed at the media?  Got a spin for that?

Hell he was probably trying to troll the media. (but I don't think the original remarks were, I think he got childish after they asked him about it the next day.) 

So do you think he was trying to say inject disinfectant or really meaning a medicine that works as quickly as the disinfectant we has describing?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:25 PM, homersapien said:

We want more Trump! :no:

Trump Reportedly Plans to Scale Back Coronavirus Briefings After Disinfectant Debacle

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/trump-scale-back-coronavirus-briefings-disinfectant.html?via=taps_top

His mouth has created a lot of political damage (my opinion) to his re-election plans. He needs to cut back on all of his briefings and maybe...maybe he can repair the damage. We'll see how he proceeds going forward. My thoughts are he can't keep his mouth shut or his comments off Twitter.

8 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Technically he said “something like”, so the media should have at least including that aspect of the story or at least had it clarified for reporting it. And they pushed it more as if  he explicitly said it, which he did not. I do agree with you that it’s for the reader to firm their own opinion. Either the media tried to slant it the way they get to get their readers to be up in arms about or there’s some reason like of common sense in some readers, then you have the ones that will just live for and breath all things left biased and that clouds their vision. 

Something "like" a disinfectant makes no more sense.  By definition, disinfectants are "chemical agents designed to destroy microbes on an inert surface". They are typically caustic and or poisonous.

And the idea that he was thinking about something in a different category that would kill the virus, well duuuuuh!  Labs all over the world have been working on therapeutic agents every since the virus was discovered.

Brainstorming is not appropriate for a briefing that is supposedly designed to provide accurate information - the truth. 

Especially if one doesn't have a brain.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Obama - or any other educated, rational adult - would not have said such a thing.  They would not have turned to Dr. Brix and ask her if injecting a disinfectant or UV light would work in the middle of a national coronavirus "briefing". 

That's the whole point. And anyone ignorant enough to think it might would certainly have asked about it in private.

Trump's coronavirus meetings have been nothing but a stage for him to promote himself, attack his political foes and disseminate misinformation.  Not a bit of empathy.  Not a bit of leadership.

History will not treat him gently on this, not to mention the next election.

He did not explicitly ask to inject a disinfectant. 

If did show me proof where he does not say "something like" in his words.

Yes I realize this is his way to get a spotlight on him.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Something "like" a disinfectant makes no more sense.  By definition, disinfectants are "chemical agents designed to destroy microbes on an inert surface". They are typically caustic and or poisonous.

And the idea that he was thinking about something in a different category that would kill the virus, well duuuuuh!  Labs all over the world have been working on therapeutic agents every since the virus was discovered.

Brainstorming is not appropriate for a briefing that is supposedly designed to provide accurate information - the truth. 

Especially if one doesn't have a brain.

Yes it does, in the context he said it "something like" could be a medicine that gets in and kills it instantly as opposed to taking awhile. That is a logical conclusion. Which is why he was probably talking about it doing it in a minute or so.

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

Yeah I don't know why he went with the sarcasm route. That made even less sense than his original comment. What I do know is all this BS is over a bunch of minced words. Regardless I think the media made a crap storm out of something stupid and they should be worried about bigger fish to fry.

The POTUS failing utterly to lead the nation in a crisis like this is a pretty big fish.

I can make a long list of the stupid and counterproductive things he has said regarding the pandemic.  None of them are the media's fault.

13 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Hell he was probably trying to troll the media. (but I don't think the original remarks were, I think he got childish after they asked him about it the next day.)

That was his first excuse - sarcasm directed at the media.:-\

Is that appropriate behavior for the POTUS in a briefing to the country on a pandemic in which people are dying and many, many are being economically ravaged?

Just now, homersapien said:

The POTUS failing utterly to lead the nation in a crisis like this is a pretty big fish.

I can make a long list of the stupid and counterproductive things he has said regarding the pandemic.  None of them are the media's fault.

Regardless of his stupid things he has said, the media is doing the country a disservice by taking his comments albeit weird and reporting the President suggest injecting something like bleach or Lysol. I think most logical people didn't take it that way. 

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That was his first excuse - sarcasm directed at the media.:-\

Is that appropriate behavior for the POTUS in a briefing to the country on a pandemic in which people are dying and many, many are being economically ravaged?

I never said it was, but it does get comical watching people lose their minds everytime he sneezes wrong or goofs up and says something dumb. Hell half the time I think he is trolling. 

That was his excuse the next day. I think if he was really trying to be sarcastic he would has told the media "Maybe we should inject Clorox." Now those comments would have been really dangerous.

11 minutes ago, creed said:

His mouth has created a lot of political damage (my opinion) to his re-election plans. He needs to cut back on all of his briefings and maybe...maybe he can repair the damage. We'll see how he proceeds going forward. My thoughts are he can't keep his mouth shut or his comments off Twitter.

Have you read about his 24 hr twitter rant, beginning Sat. night?

17 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

He did not explicitly ask to inject a disinfectant. 

If did show me proof where he does not say "something like" in his words.

Yes I realize this is his way to get a spotlight on him.

Transcript:

"So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful."

I think you are straining like hell to rationalize the stupidity of what he said.

Just now, homersapien said:

Transcript:

"So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful."

I think you are straining like hell to rationalize the stupidity of what he said.

I am not saying it wasn't stupid. I am "something like that" to most people can mean a medicine (instead of disinfectant.). We differ on our inference, me being logical assumes he meant medicine. You think disinfectant. They way he said it was stupid and unclear if people really think he meant disinfectant. And yeah, he shouldn't have been rambling his thoughts.

12 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Regardless of his stupid things he has said

"It doesn't matter what the President of the United States says."

the media is doing the country a disservice by taking his comments albeit weird and reporting the President suggest injecting something like bleach or Lysol. 

@homersapien already reminded you, but trump's exact words:

And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside

You initially came across fairly rationally on this but you are starting to sound like you have a lot more emotion than information available.

14 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I think most logical people didn't take it that way. 

So since you took it the wrong way, and you don't understand his explanation that he was being sarcastic, and since illogical people just went on what the man said in plain words, how did logical people take it? 

12 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Regardless of his stupid things he has said, the media is doing the country a disservice by taking his comments albeit weird and reporting the President suggest injecting something like bleach or Lysol. I think most logical people didn't take it that way. 

Most logical people are able to view the clips for themselves.

And, like I said, I could provide a long list of false or misleading statements Trump has made about the pandemic for which no reporting or interpretation is necessary.

So if you want to blame the press for Trump's idiocy, go ahead. 

4 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I am not saying it wasn't stupid. I am "something like that" to most people can mean a medicine (instead of disinfectant.). We differ on our inference, me being logical assumes he meant medicine. You think disinfectant. They way he said it was stupid and unclear if people really think he meant disinfectant. And yeah, he shouldn't have been rambling his thoughts.

He SAID disinfectant. :no:

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

He SAID disinfectant. :no:

Something like...….that leaves it open to other things than disinfectant. What is so hard to understand?

Hell if he really meant it you got trolled. 

16 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Something like...….that leaves it open to other things than disinfectant. What is so hard to understand?

Hate has a way of blinding folks. Trump could literally cure cancer and save millions of lives and yet the very group engaging you now would claim he should have let them die peacefully. Nothing he does, regardless of success, will be affirmed by this group. Everything he says will be scrutinized, misinterpreted, mis quoted, etc. by the same folks.

And this group will always say you are defending Trump. Their go to everytime. They'll never admit their dishonesty. 

Facts and truth are on your side on this earth shattering news. Know that. :thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Actually he said, can you DO something like that?  (As in injecting a disinfectant.)

He didn't say "something like that" in reference to an alternative to a "disinfectant" (which he actually did say).

I don't understand what you mean by my getting trolled. 

To summarize, I am not saying Trump directly recommended drinking or injecting disinfectant - as some of the press headings falsely inferred. (I consider that to be a red herring that's not really relevant.)

He said exactly what he said, no more or no less.  My argument is that - like many of the other things he has said in these "briefings" -  it illustrates his total and general ignorance of the subject. It was totally inappropriate for the venue, in which he was supposed to be a briefing to the country.  He's like a frustrated child who doesn't want to accept the reality of the situation and keeps throwing up "what ifs". 

If you want to dismiss the significance of his actual statement with some pedantic argument that parses his words to yield a different interpretation, fine.  That's your problem, not mine. 

Pretty much the rest of the country "gets it".

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Actually he said, can you DO something like that?  (As in injecting a disinfectant.)

He didn't say "something like that" in reference to an alternative to a "disinfectant" (which he actually did say).

I don't understand what you mean by my getting trolled. 

To summarize, I am not saying Trump directly recommended drinking or injecting disinfectant - as some of the press headings falsely inferred. (I consider that to be a red herring that's not really relevant.)

He said exactly what he said, no more or no less.  My argument is that - like many of the other things he has said in these "briefings" -  it illustrates his total and general ignorance of the subject. It was totally inappropriate for the venue, in which he was supposed to be a briefing to the country.  He's like a frustrated child who doesn't want to accept the reality of the situation and keeps throwing up "what ifs". 

If you want to dismiss the significance of his actual statement with some pedantic argument that parses his words to yield a different interpretation, fine.  That's your problem, not mine. 

Pretty much the rest of the country "gets it".

Actually he said, can you DO something like that?  (As in injecting a disinfectant.)

or as a logical person would realize.....

As in injecting MEDICINE as a disinfectant!! 

5 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Actually he said, can you DO something like that?  (As in injecting a disinfectant.)

or as a logical person would realize.....

As in injecting MEDICINE as a disinfectant!! 

Then, logically,  Trump really should have used that wording, huh?  Instead he said disinfectant.  (An MEDICINE is not a disinfectant by definition.)

And he really should have offered a better explanation of what he actually meant, instead of trying to excuse it as sarcasm, huh. :rolleyes:

Logic first depends on the value of one's assumptions. Ergo, MAGA sycophancy is not logical. 

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Then, logically,  Trump really should have used that wording, huh?  Instead he said disinfectant.  (An MEDICINE is not a disinfectant by definition.)

And he really should have offered a better explanation of what he actually meant, instead of trying to excuse it as sarcasm, huh. :rolleyes:

Logic first depends on the value of one's assumptions. Ergo, MAGA sycophancy is not logical. 

Medicine acts as a disinfectant....

SMH

0ECF3480-7CB4-44A6-B70A-B6D3E72062E6.jpeg

I just have to go back to my original thought. If he meant what he said, it’s stupid. If he meant medicine,  “something like “ disinfectant, it’s worse. Then he plays the sarcasm card. An obvious lie. Please tell us how much Biden gaffes now. 

Archived