Please say it ain't so.

homersapien

58 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

What's hard for you to understand? He got caught looking like an idiot talking about UV light as a disinfectant in the body and then somehow the media had to report he was talking about bleach?  Just report the idiocy of his statement correctly. Not sure how hard that is for you to understand. But when the same media tries to act all appalled and worried about dumb people drinking bleach hopefully they blame the person who drank it and not try to spin it as the President's fault. Because regardless of his idiocy he wasn't the one who insinuated bleach. 

If he had thought that up for himself, he would be awesome. He should hire you to cover for his idiocy. But it took you 5,6 days ???to conjure it up. So maybe not. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, alexava said:

If he had thought that up for himself, he would be awesome. He should hire you to cover for his idiocy. But it took you 5,6 days ???to conjure it up. So maybe not. 

So now you are trying to conjure up sly insults. I love when people start showing their true character when someone doesn't agree with them. If you can't present me with the proof I asked you for and you start trying to throw insults. But hey, you do you and drink the hatred Kool-aid. It bothers you I am calling out the media on this particular case. Your hatred for the guy is so much you can't even stand that even though I don't like him and I will call him out for his idiocy  you hate the fact that I can also say the media shouldn't have spun it they way they did in this instance. You want me to despise him just as much as you do. Funny how so many people say they are open minded around here but aren't. I should have went straight to the entire transcript from the beginning so that I could have presented the facts sooner. But then again, people here would have just ignored them and start trying to insult me. The fact remains as I have asserted from the beginning the media falsely reported what he said. Regardless of sarcasm or not, he never said or implied a chemical disinfectant like bleach as the media wants people to believe. 

April 24, 2020 at 2:21 p.m. EDT

Kayleigh McEnany has been the White House press secretary for less than three weeks. But she’s already experienced something that has become a rite of passage for top White House aides: having their public defenses of President Trump completely undermined by Trump himself.

After the president at Thursday’s White House coronavirus briefing floated the idea of injecting disinfectant into coronavirus patients, McEnany joined a host of Trump defenders in arguing the unarguable. She said that Trump was in fact being taken out of context and that he didn’t say what he had rather clearly said.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing,” she said. “Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context.”

Except now, Trump has weighed in, too. And his explanation doesn’t at all match McEnany’s.

Rather than argue he didn’t say it or that it was taken out of context, Trump granted that he had said it but said he was just being sarcastic. He claimed he was trying to goad the media.

“I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen,” Trump said.

The just-joking defense has become a popular one for Trump when he says something highly controversial, as The Fix’s J.M. Rieger detailed a few months back. And it’s often a ridiculous assertion, as it is in this case. Trump’s expression gave no indication whatsoever he was joking, nor did coronavirus task force medical expert Deborah Birx seem to react as if she was in on the joke.

Trump also said Friday that he was looking at a reporter when he made the comment. But he was looking at his task force members, and the reporter he said that to wasn’t actually at the briefing. And he later floated another idea for treatment involving heat and light to Birx, which she took as being a serious proposal.

Trump literally said, “I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute,” referring to disinfectants such as isopropyl alcohol that had previously been brought up at the briefing. “And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets inside the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that.” When he was later pressed by The Washington Post’s Philip Rucker on why he was trafficking in such speculative ideas, Trump didn’t back off or give any indication it was some kind of ruse. Instead he got angry with Rucker.

But setting all that aside, Trump just threw all those people who made the argument McEnany was making under the bus.

One of them was Breitbart News, which Thursday night quickly ran what it portrayed as a fact check of Trump’s comments. Witness this amazing argument: “Trump used the word ‘inject,’ but what he meant was using a process — which he left ‘medical doctors’ to define — in which patients’ lungs might be cleared of the virus, given new knowledge about its response to light and other factors.”

Here’s another representative defense:

Other defenses even suggested Trump was on to something — that he was actually pointing in the direction of some kind of cutting-edge technology.

Those defenses are now rendered inoperable. You can’t have not said the thing if you were just joking when you said the thing. McEnany’s defense of her boss compared with what Trump now says sure makes it sound like she doesn’t know what’s going on — if anyone in the White House truly does.

But we’ve been here before. White House aides will often be dispatched to defend the boss’s controversial comments or actions, make a strained argument, and then have the boss negate the argument.

When The Post reported that Trump had shared classified information with Russians in the Oval Office, then-national security adviser H.R. McMaster flatly rejected the notion. “I was in the room,” McMaster said. “It did not happen.” Except then Trump said he had the “absolute right” to share the information.

When Trump fired FBI Director James B. Comey, then-press secretary Sean Spicer said it was Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein’s decision, while others including Vice President Pence said the Russia investigation didn’t factor into it. Except then Trump went on TV and said he was going to fire Comey regardless of Rosenstein’s advice and admitted the investigation was on his mind when made the call.

When Trump was being criticized for his travel ban on majority-Muslim countries, then-White House chief of staff John Kelly attacked reporters for calling it a “ban.” But then Trump himself said, “People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!”

These are just a few of the many examples.

But there’s also one last point here that’s important, and that’s this: Even if we are to take Trump’s claim that he was being sarcastic at face value, that’s a heck of a thing to be sarcastic about — and to wait 16 hours to clarify. Those were 16 hours in which disinfectant brands and health officials were anxiously warning people against ingesting such products, and some health officials say they’ve received inquires about it. Making such a joke and then waiting to reveal it as a joke would seem irresponsible at best and dangerous at worst. The president may joke about things, but this is pretty high on the list of things that should never be the subject of sarcasm.

But of course, it’s pretty obvious he wasn’t joking — and that, despite the defenses, this was an idea that he did in fact float, however inelegantly and intentionally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/24/trumps-ridiculous-defense-his-comments-about-injecting-disinfectants/

5 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

The fact remains as I have asserted from the beginning the media falsely reported what he said. Regardless of sarcasm or not, he never said or implied a chemical disinfectant like bleach as the media wants people to believe. 

I think I see your problem.  You think you're Obi-wan Kenobe

"These aren't the droids you are looking for"  ;D

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:
April 24, 2020 at 2:21 p.m. EDT

Kayleigh McEnany has been the White House press secretary for less than three weeks. But she’s already experienced something that has become a rite of passage for top White House aides: having their public defenses of President Trump completely undermined by Trump himself.

After the president at Thursday’s White House coronavirus briefing floated the idea of injecting disinfectant into coronavirus patients, McEnany joined a host of Trump defenders in arguing the unarguable. She said that Trump was in fact being taken out of context and that he didn’t say what he had rather clearly said.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing,” she said. “Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context.”

Except now, Trump has weighed in, too. And his explanation doesn’t at all match McEnany’s.

Rather than argue he didn’t say it or that it was taken out of context, Trump granted that he had said it but said he was just being sarcastic. He claimed he was trying to goad the media.

“I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen,” Trump said.

The just-joking defense has become a popular one for Trump when he says something highly controversial, as The Fix’s J.M. Rieger detailed a few months back. And it’s often a ridiculous assertion, as it is in this case. Trump’s expression gave no indication whatsoever he was joking, nor did coronavirus task force medical expert Deborah Birx seem to react as if she was in on the joke.

Trump also said Friday that he was looking at a reporter when he made the comment. But he was looking at his task force members, and the reporter he said that to wasn’t actually at the briefing. And he later floated another idea for treatment involving heat and light to Birx, which she took as being a serious proposal.

Trump literally said, “I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute,” referring to disinfectants such as isopropyl alcohol that had previously been brought up at the briefing. “And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets inside the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that.” When he was later pressed by The Washington Post’s Philip Rucker on why he was trafficking in such speculative ideas, Trump didn’t back off or give any indication it was some kind of ruse. Instead he got angry with Rucker.

But setting all that aside, Trump just threw all those people who made the argument McEnany was making under the bus.

One of them was Breitbart News, which Thursday night quickly ran what it portrayed as a fact check of Trump’s comments. Witness this amazing argument: “Trump used the word ‘inject,’ but what he meant was using a process — which he left ‘medical doctors’ to define — in which patients’ lungs might be cleared of the virus, given new knowledge about its response to light and other factors.”

Here’s another representative defense:

Other defenses even suggested Trump was on to something — that he was actually pointing in the direction of some kind of cutting-edge technology.

Those defenses are now rendered inoperable. You can’t have not said the thing if you were just joking when you said the thing. McEnany’s defense of her boss compared with what Trump now says sure makes it sound like she doesn’t know what’s going on — if anyone in the White House truly does.

But we’ve been here before. White House aides will often be dispatched to defend the boss’s controversial comments or actions, make a strained argument, and then have the boss negate the argument.

When The Post reported that Trump had shared classified information with Russians in the Oval Office, then-national security adviser H.R. McMaster flatly rejected the notion. “I was in the room,” McMaster said. “It did not happen.” Except then Trump said he had the “absolute right” to share the information.

When Trump fired FBI Director James B. Comey, then-press secretary Sean Spicer said it was Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein’s decision, while others including Vice President Pence said the Russia investigation didn’t factor into it. Except then Trump went on TV and said he was going to fire Comey regardless of Rosenstein’s advice and admitted the investigation was on his mind when made the call.

When Trump was being criticized for his travel ban on majority-Muslim countries, then-White House chief of staff John Kelly attacked reporters for calling it a “ban.” But then Trump himself said, “People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!”

These are just a few of the many examples.

But there’s also one last point here that’s important, and that’s this: Even if we are to take Trump’s claim that he was being sarcastic at face value, that’s a heck of a thing to be sarcastic about — and to wait 16 hours to clarify. Those were 16 hours in which disinfectant brands and health officials were anxiously warning people against ingesting such products, and some health officials say they’ve received inquires about it. Making such a joke and then waiting to reveal it as a joke would seem irresponsible at best and dangerous at worst. The president may joke about things, but this is pretty high on the list of things that should never be the subject of sarcasm.

But of course, it’s pretty obvious he wasn’t joking — and that, despite the defenses, this was an idea that he did in fact float, however inelegantly and intentionally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/24/trumps-ridiculous-defense-his-comments-about-injecting-disinfectants/

That still does not show any proof that Trump was talking about anything other than UV disinfectant. Even when he said sarcasm was his intent he never clarified it to me bleach. His spin is still he was sarcastically asking about UV light in the body, 

So why everyone thinks he means chemicals or bleach or whatever. I guess that is where "accuracy" comes in.

17 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

The headline should have said.....

Trump’s ridiculous defense of his comments about injecting UV disinfectants

Yes Obi-wan.  ;)

11 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I make no apologies for calling out all-sides. 

Of course Obi-wan.

And for a pedantic like yourself, the typical word salad Trump employs provides you infinite opportunity to do so.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Of course Obi-wan.

And for a pedantic like yourself, the typical word salad Trump employs provides you infinite opportunity to do so.

I'm not sure word salad is the right way to describe it. May I suggest word vomit? 

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

The headline should have said.....

Trump’s ridiculous defense of his comments about injecting UV disinfectants

THAT would be fake news. Completely fabricated. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

THAT would be fake news. Completely fabricated. 

Considering he was talking about injecting UV light as a disinfectant. That is real news.

8 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Considering he was talking about injecting UV light as a disinfectant. That is real news.

How does one "inject" UV light?  :dunno:

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Very carefully. No actually he said something about hitting the body?? “Through the skin or some other way “. 

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's a good question....one you should ask Bill Bryan and the Science and Technology Directorate at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security who was presenting what Trump was talking about. Here is part of the transcript...….hence where Trump tried to get smart and use the word inject. 

"If you look at the first three lines, when you see the word “surface,” we’re talking about nonporous surfaces: door handles, stainless steel.  And if you look at the — as the temperature increases, as the humidity increases, with no sun involved, you can see how drastically the half-life goes down on that virus.  So the virus is dying at a much more rapid pace, just from exposure to higher temperatures and just from exposure to humidity.

If you look at the fourth line, you inject summer — the sunlight into that.  You inject UV rays into that.  The same effects on line two — as 70 to 35 degrees with 80 percent humidity on the surface.  And look at line four, but now you inject the sun.  The half-life goes from six hours to two minutes.  That’s how much of an impact UV rays has on the virus."

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Very carefully. 

See my response to Homer. I am curious to see how you spin what was said by Bill Bryan. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Very carefully. No actually he said something about hitting the body?? “Through the skin or some other way “. 

Orange man would be well-advised to stay out of the UV rays. ;)

7 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

That's a good question....one you should ask Bill Bryan and the Science and Technology Directorate at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security who was presenting what Trump was talking about. Here is part of the transcript...….hence where Trump tried to get smart and use the word inject. 

"If you look at the first three lines, when you see the word “surface,” we’re talking about nonporous surfaces: door handles, stainless steel.  And if you look at the — as the temperature increases, as the humidity increases, with no sun involved, you can see how drastically the half-life goes down on that virus.  So the virus is dying at a much more rapid pace, just from exposure to higher temperatures and just from exposure to humidity.

If you look at the fourth line, you inject summer — the sunlight into that.  You inject UV rays into that.  The same effects on line two — as 70 to 35 degrees with 80 percent humidity on the surface.  And look at line four, but now you inject the sun.  The half-life goes from six hours to two minutes.  That’s how much of an impact UV rays has on the virus."

You do understand he was using "inject" in a different sense, right?

As in, "injecting" a new variable into the equation.

7 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Makes perfect sense to me 

Just now, homersapien said:

You do understand he was using "inject" in a different sense, right?

LMAO!!!! 

He was using it in the same sense. Trump was not saying inject with a needle...………….he was saying inject disinfectant (UV light)...its all about context which you ignore. 

Just now, wdefromtx said:

LMAO!!!! 

He was using it in the same sense. Trump was not saying inject with a needle...………….he was saying inject disinfectant (UV light)...its all about context which you ignore. 

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Just now, homersapien said:

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Ok, then explain to me how each one was used. Tell me Bryan's context and Trump's context. 

Just now, wdefromtx said:

Your blatant omission of the context of what was said.

Why is he not doing his own bidding? You are trying to make sense of what he said for free. He has lied ( leaving you hanging) , ran and hid. 

Archived