AUsince72

gr82be

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Gwill, you are one of my faves all time!  I love how you keep life in perspective that it's just a ride to be made the most of with people whether they agree, disagree or not care.  I love you man!

Truth is, I LOVE Bruce!  He embodies the enthusiasm, desire & tradition that made college athletics so passionate & great.  My problem is the game of basketball itself.  Not that there's anything wrong with the game....just that I ALWAYS sucked at it, even from an early age, so I never grew the passion for it like I did baseball and football.

After all, I actually received looks from colleges for schollies in both baseball & football.  Basketball however? .....my first ever tryout as a youth went something like this:

tenor.gif

WELL DAD GUM 72!!! I HAD NO IDEA DEM WERE THE RULES OF THE SPORTS WORLD!!! lol I never played a down of organized football but dangit I do love watching it!! And the only basketball I "played" in high school was the freshmen and JV teams. I mean technically I was on the varsity teams my junior and senior seasons but I played and contributed as much as Cletus and Bobby Sue did from WEEEEEEEETUMPKA on the last Bama title team! lmao. The only sport I was ever actually good at in high school was cross country. MUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dude I had no idea you were recruited for baseball and football by colleges!!?!?! WHAT?!?! LFG BAY BAAAAAAAAAY!!!! HECK YAH!!! What were some of the schools who rolled out the red carpet and recruited you like you were Willie Williams???? YOU KNOW YOU ARE MUHHHHHH BOY!!!! I got you fam. You are the brodie FOR LIFE! 

kkyuyku.gif

rert.gif

rerew.gif

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WELL DAD GUM 72!!! I HAD NO IDEA DEM WERE THE RULES OF THE SPORTS WORLD!!! lol I never played a down of organized football but dangit I do love watching it!! And the only basketball I "played" in high school was the freshmen and JV teams. I mean technically I was on the varsity teams my junior and senior seasons but I played and contributed as much as Cletus and Bobby Sue did from WEEEEEEEETUMPKA on the last Bama title team! lmao. The only sport I was ever actually good at in high school was cross country. MUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dude I had no idea you were recruited for baseball and football by colleges!!?!?! WHAT?!?! LFG BAY BAAAAAAAAAY!!!! HECK YAH!!! What were some of the schools who rolled out the red carpet and recruited you like you were Willie Williams???? YOU KNOW YOU ARE MUHHHHHH BOY!!!! I got you fam. You are the brodie FOR LIFE! 

kkyuyku.gif

rert.gif

rerew.gif

Oh there are no rules about that obviously, LOL!  I'm just weird that way.  I admit.

I never even liked to watch golf until I started playing it in my early 30's.  I never was GOOD at it but at least played a reasonable facsimile of the game, so I grew to love it & watching it....until neuropathy took it away.

I only like watching hockey in person....there IS something about that game that's beautiful in person but a snooze-fest on TV.  ....and no, I can't ice skate.  

Oh, I wasn't recruited by anybody big at all.  In football I got looks at by Presbyterian College, Valdosta State and actually thought about going to West Georgia as a Fullback & Punter.

My true passion was baseball and they were all 3 interested in me as well, as a Pitcher, but I blew out my shoulder my Jr year in HS and any interest they had disappeared. 

I played through it my Sr year but had arthroscopic surgery that never panned out.  Ended up trying out at Dekalb College (in Ga) but my shoulder just wasn't the same.  Game over.

Sorry, I know that's not anything to brag about but it was pretty cool to gain interest for my body cuz they SURE WASN'T interested in me for my brains, LOLOLOLOL!!!

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh there are no rules about that obviously, LOL!  I'm just weird that way.  I admit.

I never even liked to watch golf until I started playing it in my early 30's.  I never was GOOD at it but at least played a reasonable facsimile of the game, so I grew to love it & watching it....until neuropathy took it away.

I only like watching hockey in person....there IS something about that game that's beautiful in person but a snooze-fest on TV.  ....and no, I can't ice skate.  

Oh, I wasn't recruited by anybody big at all.  In football I got looks at by Presbyterian College, Valdosta State and actually thought about going to West Georgia as a Fullback & Punter.

My true passion was baseball and they were all 3 interested in me as well, as a Pitcher, but I blew out my shoulder my Jr year in HS and any interest they had disappeared. 

I played through it my Sr year but had arthroscopic surgery that never panned out.  Ended up trying out at Dekalb College (in Ga) but my shoulder just wasn't the same.  Game over.

Sorry, I know that's not anything to brag about but it was pretty cool to gain interest for my body cuz they SURE WASN'T interested in me for my brains, LOLOLOLOL!!!

Bruhhhhhhhh ANY college recruiting you is a big freaking deal and more than most of the rest of the country can say!!!! That's freaking incredible!! I got a jelly belly now!!! Lol. That's WTF I'm talking about. Good Ish!!! Wooooo!!!! Say it with some bassssssssss in your chest and a Vince McMahon Pep in your step!! Lol. Hell yah brother!!! That's a maaaaj accomplishment and something to be very very proud of!!! I wish I was recruited by JUST ONE college. Let alone the host that were trying to woooooo you.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruhhhhhhhh ANY college recruiting you is a big freaking deal and more than most of the rest of the country can say!!!! That's freaking incredible!! I got a jelly belly now!!! Lol. That's WTF I'm talking about. Good Ish!!! Wooooo!!!! Say it with some bassssssssss in your chest and a Vince McMahon Pep in your step!! Lol. Hell yah brother!!! That's a maaaaj accomplishment and something to be very very proud of!!! I wish I was recruited by JUST ONE college. Let alone the host that were trying to woooooo you.

HAHA!  I appreciate it.

But back in the late '80s, with a negative GPA (only slightly exaggerating), and playing for terrible teams in the country 'burbs it was more like they were slumming it and offering me the honor to visit them.  Trust me, I wasn't anything overly special.

Matter of fact, me looking back on it is like this:

tenor.gif

19 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

HAHA!  I appreciate it.

But back in the late '80s, with a negative GPA (only slightly exaggerating), and playing for terrible teams in the country 'burbs it was more like they were slumming it and offering me the honor to visit them.  Trust me, I wasn't anything overly special.

tenor.gif

Ahhhhh, you've more than made up for it, a'hite? 🦋👀😉

19 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

HAHA!  I appreciate it.

tenor.gif

Dear Uncle Rico. No respect. This one's for him. (not that it helps his case any...)

Now this one. THIS one.

🤣🌮🌶🙌🇲🇽

• 1 month later...

Hi friends.  I'm sorry if dredging up this thread seems self-serving.  I've just had quite a few personally & privately ask me for updates lately (which I appreciate SO MUCH) so rather than hijacking Tora's lookalike thread I thought I'd post an update for those interested, if that's okay.  Again, thank you to ALL of you who continue praying for me & my family.

As has been often said, "the cure is worse than the disease".  I think this is literally the case with me.  I've been praying and feel The Lord is leading me to do it HIS way, with holistic treatment & diet.  People who see me say "you look so great" but I'm not even 49 yet and feel 89 lately.  However, since stopping "chemical" treatment 6 weeks ago, I'm finally feeling better and we have set a moving from FL to TN deadline (maybe a poor choice of words LOL!!) of the last week of October.

Thus, we have a fire lit under us, LOL, and we're getting rid of big things and packing small.  Please pray The Lord makes our path straight as we still have a lot to do but we know it's do-able!!

It looks like I'll finally get my REAL Autumn after all this time.  Of course, with the ridiculousness of 2020 it's weird not caring one bit about football.  But there's so much more to be thankful for!  ...and maybe, if the country doesn't implode and The Lord desires me to have a few more years on this earth, next year will be different.

There's so many from this forum that I don't really know, yet I feel you're some of my best friends.  I'm truly blessed to "know" you!!!

May God truly bless y'all!!!

Hey, I've lived in TN almost 20 years now. It's a great place, and we're lucky to have you. Relax and enjoy the weather and beautiful scenery in the Smokies.  If I'm ever over that way, I'll give you a shout.

19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Hi friends.  I'm sorry if dredging up this thread seems self-serving.  I've just had quite a few personally & privately ask me for updates lately (which I appreciate SO MUCH) so rather than hijacking Tora's lookalike thread I thought I'd post an update for those interested, if that's okay.  Again, thank you to ALL of you who continue praying for me & my family.

As has been often said, "the cure is worse than the disease".  I think this is literally the case with me.  I've been praying and feel The Lord is leading me to do it HIS way, with holistic treatment & diet.  People who see me say "you look so great" but I'm not even 49 yet and feel 89 lately.  However, since stopping "chemical" treatment 6 weeks ago, I'm finally feeling better and we have set a moving from FL to TN deadline (maybe a poor choice of words LOL!!) of the last week of October.

Thus, we have a fire lit under us, LOL, and we're getting rid of big things and packing small.  Please pray The Lord makes our path straight as we still have a lot to do but we know it's do-able!!

It looks like I'll finally get my REAL Autumn after all this time.  Of course, with the ridiculousness of 2020 it's weird not caring one bit about football.  But there's so much more to be thankful for!  ...and maybe, if the country doesn't implode and The Lord desires me to have a few more years on this earth, next year will be different.

There's so many from this forum that I don't really know, yet I feel you're some of my best friends.  I'm truly blessed to "know" you!!!

May God truly bless y'all!!!

Thanks for the update brother and for sharing your faith. My prayers for you will continue.

Man I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better. It sounds like your body, and probably your mind needed a rest from the chemo. 

Thank you for the update. You continue to be a fixture in my thoughts. I'm saying a prayer for you and your sweet family right now, pal. 

Nathan, it's great to hear that you are getting closer to your move to the Great Smoky Mountains. We're not supposed to be envious of others but I will be geographically envious of you for sure. When God created the earth I believe He must have placed a little more emphasis on certain places like the Smokies just so we can look in awe and get a glimpse of Heaven and what is in store for us one day. As you know my prayers will continue for you. Your faith and attitude inspires us all. God bless you. 

On 7/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, gr82be said:

In so many ways I wish you and your family the best and I know that you've known the source of that for some time now. Side story, a little over one month ago my wife and I were looking at an addition to our home. We kept getting frustrated with the contractor we were dealing with because he couldn't even keep deadlines he set for himself. Knowing that God will frustrate you in your plans when they are not His plans, we prayed and thought about things. About 4 weeks ago my wife's dream house was for sale, two blocks away from where we live now. We looked at it on a Saturday, made an offer on the following Tuesday. It was accepted on that Friday. We listed our house on that same day and it was sold to a cash buyer the following week. God is good all of the time. He knows what you want but mostly He knows what He wants for you. Have no worries about your house selling. If it's God's plan, and I'm sure it is, for you to move closer to your family, then just pack and pray. God will do the rest. My wish is like yours, that everyone could know what He does when we are faithful and true to Him. 

Love you buddy. Let me know if I can do anything to help and I will. 

I can attest to God's timing is always perfect, especially with moving.  Through this 2020, which I think was purposely allowed to happen to give us 20/20 vision on our priorities,  we have just placed our lives in God's hands through the biggest challenge of our lives.  My company closed in the middle of Covid and an oil market crash, so we felt time was perfect to move to Kentucky.  This was something the wife and I thought about doing 13 years ago, but timing wasn't "perfect".  My job gave me a generous severance package. I got the great new job right as my severance was running out. We finished setting up the listing of our house with the agent, only to have immediate interest, an offer for the full asking price and under contract in 8 hours before going to market. Now as we are about to close this week, we have found a home we love that we are hoping to get approval for before it sells. We are continuing to trust in God, because his timing is always Perfect!  Really happy for your move to Tennessee. He clearly wants to use you in God's Country in the Smokies, just as I feel he wants me here in the Bluegrass.   Keep the faith my Brother. 

18 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I can attest to God's timing is always perfect, especially with moving.  Through this 2020, which I think was purposely allowed to happen to give us 20/20 vision on our priorities,  we have just placed our lives in God's hands through the biggest challenge of our lives.  My company closed in the middle of Covid and an oil market crash, so we felt time was perfect to move to Kentucky.  This was something the wife and I thought about doing 13 years ago, but timing wasn't "perfect".  My job gave me a generous severance package. I got the great new job right as my severance was running out. We finished setting up the listing of our house with the agent, only to have immediate interest, an offer for the full asking price and under contract in 8 hours before going to market. Now as we are about to close this week, we have found a home we love that we are hoping to get approval for before it sells. We are continuing to trust in God, because his timing is always Perfect!  Really happy for your move to Tennessee. He clearly wants to use you in God's Country in the Smokies, just as I feel he wants me here in the Bluegrass.   Keep the faith my Brother. 

Brother, I wish I had a "❤+Infinity" emoticon for that one!  Your example is true inspiration and I thank you. 

We had a friend come and help us yesterday in the warehouse....er....I mean garage and we got rid of SO MUCH stuff that would have taken a week by ourselves (I just don't have the strength & stamina I did a couple years ago).  So blessed!

Your so right about The Lord's timing.  It may not be always what WE want, as I've been wanting to move for 2 years but we've always had something (usually medical) come up and keep us here.  But now, our path to moving seems particularly streamlined right now as I think He kept us down here for His reasons and now He knows we're ready.

Thanks for the kind words and inspiration.  I hope you enjoy the bluegrass state.  I've never been but have always heard great things.

NOTE: In our various visits to Knoxville over the years I've always noticed the interstate signs that it's less than 1 hr to KY and often considered a drive.  Maybe we will soon!

God bless!

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Brother, I wish I had a "❤+Infinity" emoticon for that one!  Your example is true inspiration and I thank you. 

We had a friend come and help us yesterday in the warehouse....er....I mean garage and we got rid of SO MUCH stuff that would have taken a week by ourselves (I just don't have the strength & stamina I did a couple years ago).  So blessed!

Your so right about The Lord's timing.  It may not be always what WE want, as I've been wanting to move for 2 years but we've always had something (usually medical) come up and keep us here.  But now, our path to moving seems particularly streamlined right now as I think He kept us down here for His reasons and now He knows we're ready.

Thanks for the kind words and inspiration.  I hope you enjoy the bluegrass state.  I've never been but have always heard great things.

NOTE: In our various visits to Knoxville over the years I've always noticed the interstate signs that it's less than 1 hr to KY and often considered a drive.  Maybe we will soon!

God bless!

You are very welcome.  Thank you for inspiring so many on here as well with your story.  Kentucky has been wonderful. Frankfort is beautiful.   Only 4 hours from the Smokies myself, which is probably my favorite place to go as well. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

You are very welcome.  Thank you for inspiring so many on here as well with your story.  Kentucky has been wonderful. Frankfort is beautiful.   Only 4 hours from the Smokies myself, which is probably my favorite place to go as well. 

Was in Kentucky in July, went to the Ark Encounter. Beautiful country up there. Seeing the horse farms was a treat for me. Meanwhile I'm here on the hot humid plains of Mississippi but that's okay, God put us here so we good! :)

@AUsince72 I have been praying for you. Many people do really well with Hollistic treatments. Keep us updated. What part of Tennessee are you headed? I apologize if I missed that. I am from southern middle TN (between Lynchburg, TN and Huntsville, AL ). Have a lot of family and friends all over the state as well. If you need anything or any help moving...whatever it may be...do not hesitate to ask. We have to look out for one another. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Best of luck. War Damn AUsince72 and War Damn Eagle.

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

@AUsince72 I have been praying for you. Many people do really well with Hollistic treatments. Keep us updated. What part of Tennessee are you headed? I apologize if I missed that. I am from southern middle TN (between Lynchburg, TN and Huntsville, AL ). Have a lot of family and friends all over the state as well. If you need anything or any help moving...whatever it may be...do not hesitate to ask. We have to look out for one another. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Best of luck. War Damn AUsince72 and War Damn Eagle.

Thank you so much, brother.  I appreciate every prayer sent up for me.  They truly help me keep going!

We're moving to Knoxville as my wife is originally from there and has a lot of family there.  Plus, it's only 2-1/2 hrs or so from my family, who are in Ft. Payne, AL.  I've helped move many friends over the years....one of the things that happens when own a pick-up, LOL....but unfortunately don't have the strength & stamina I used to.  However, I think we're doing okay as far as moving as we're blessed that we should be able to afford movers once we pack (or get rid of) what we can.  

BTW!  Please, everyone, pray for my mom & dad.  Dad's had a bad heart for years and he's struggling right now too.  My mom is an incredibly strong woman but I an tell she's very concerned.  They are both lovers of Christ so I'm happy about that but as we all know, it's hard to lose our loved ones until we meet again in heaven.  I love my dad and am very concerned for his health at this point.  I just hate the troubles he's having and pray for comfort!  There's some folks on his board who clearly have influence with our Lord, so thank you, as always!

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Please, everyone, pray for my mom & dad.  Dad's had a bad heart for years and he's struggling right now too.  My mom is an incredibly strong woman but I an tell she's very concerned. 

Done Nathan. 🙏

Prayers continue 72. May God Bless you and your family in every way. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Thank you so much, brother.  I appreciate every prayer sent up for me.  They truly help me keep going!

We're moving to Knoxville as my wife is originally from there and has a lot of family there.  Plus, it's only 2-1/2 hrs or so from my family, who are in Ft. Payne, AL.  I've helped move many friends over the years....one of the things that happens when own a pick-up, LOL....but unfortunately don't have the strength & stamina I used to.  However, I think we're doing okay as far as moving as we're blessed that we should be able to afford movers once we pack (or get rid of) what we can.  

BTW!  Please, everyone, pray for my mom & dad.  Dad's had a bad heart for years and he's struggling right now too.  My mom is an incredibly strong woman but I an tell she's very concerned.  They are both lovers of Christ so I'm happy about that but as we all know, it's hard to lose our loved ones until we meet again in heaven.  I love my dad and am very concerned for his health at this point.  I just hate the troubles he's having and pray for comfort!  There's some folks on his board who clearly have influence with our Lord, so thank you, as always!

Will do brother. Knoxville is a great place....and the Tenn Homers aren't too bad hehe. I will pray for your parents.

I've lost both of my parents, and wish I could have another day with either one of them. My Dad never even got the chance to meet my kids. Man would he get a kick out of them now and vice versa.

I'll send up a prayer for your family and hope you get the chance to relax a bit in East TN. You deserve it.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I've lost both of my parents, and wish I could have another day with either one of them. My Dad never even got the chance to meet my kids. Man would he get a kick out of them now and vice versa.

I'll send up a prayer for your family and hope you get the chance to relax a bit in East TN. You deserve it.

I'm so sorry to hear that about your parents.  Especially your dad & children not getting the chance to meet.  I pray they have the greatest meeting ever in heaven!!!

Thanks again for the prayers brother.

Archived