Auburn Flashback - The Drive 1986

StatTiger

Lawyer Tillman’s reverse to score the game-winning touchdown against Alabama in 1986 will always be remembered as one of the greatest plays in school history. The scoring play capped off a brilliant drive and the drive itself doesn’t receive the attention it deserves. Trey Gainous (Auburn receiver) made an epic fourth down catch that kept the drive alive, well before Lawyer Tillman scored.

This Auburn Flashback goes back to that day in 1986, showing how the drive was set up and how it played out. The game pitted #14 Auburn against #7 Alabama, who was riding a two-game winning streak against the Tigers. Auburn was the better team in 1984 and 1985 but came up short against the Crimson Tide.

https://youtu.be/s6HnlBEq4W4

32 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My favorite game of all time!!!!

I love this clip and how Pat Sullivan was watching Coach Dye going crazy. It was a fun game to watch. 

If Clint Eastwood was a QB he would have been Jeff Burger. Ice water in his veins and and mean as a snake. 

BrilliantRepulsiveAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I love this clip and how Pat Sullivan was watching Coach Dye going crazy. It was a fun game to watch.

By far the most excited I ever saw Dye...both after the score and in the locker room. 

I remember this game vividly.  I was 6 years old.  I had a a t-shirt my grandfather bought me that said “Santa Clause brought Tiger Paws.  War Eagle!  21-17.”  I wore that shirt proudly until I grew out of it.  Wonderful memories!!

I was there and to me the most unbelievable play  was the pass to Trey Gainous to keep the drive alive. It was so out  of character for Auburn to pass on 4th and that distance. Still an amazing play to me. 

Archived