• LA Chargers
    • New England Patriots
    • Denver Broncos
    • Pittsburgh Steelers
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Washington Redskins
    • Other
    • Nowhere

The more appropriate question may be who does he sign with. As of right now, there are no clear paths to even playing. 
but I think New England. 

I picked nowhere because I don't think he starts for any team in game one nor be on a team for that matter. He'll sign after the season starts after a team loses their QB1 for most if not all the season.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I picked nowhere because I don't think he starts for any team in game one nor be on a team for that matter. He'll sign after the season starts after a team loses their QB1 for most if not all the season.

Pretty much this. 

I think it would benefit Cam in the long run to sign a 1 year deal as backup for a contender at this point. Get some action in preseason, show he can be a good teammate when not in spotlight and perhaps he will be a saving grace on a playoff run if QB1 is injured. Pretty much what Jameis is doing, and essentially what Bridgewater did for a few years. Then look for QB1 next year. 

May be just a matter of taking what's available for the 2020 season. I'm sure he wants to start, but backup QB is nothing to be ashamed of and pays rather well.

Will he be renegotiating a contract or will his new team be on the hook for what was remaining on his old one? If he is to be paid 20million he either starts or sits at home. Nobody will sign a 20m man to backup or even compete. 

He was released, so he could sign for whatever is agreed upon I think. 

On 4/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, TigerTale said:

May be just a matter of taking what's available for the 2020 season. I'm sure he wants to start, but backup QB is nothing to be ashamed of and pays rather well.

I think one team that should have signed him and still may that really hasn't been mentioned is the Bears. 

No way they can think that Trubisky is going to get that much better as a QB to run an offense. Having Newton come in even as backup will be cheap for them. Cam and do what Bridgewater did and now Winston is trying to do...to get back as a starter somewhere.

Tweeted from Roger Sherman:

“I'm doing a thought experiment where I explain to someone who has only ever seen Auburn football games that Jarrett Stidham is an NFL starting quarterback and Cam Newton is not.”

I thought Stidham would be a good QB like 5 years from now. Didn’t (and still don’t) think he’s ready.

10 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think one team that should have signed him and still may that really hasn't been mentioned is the Bears. 

No way they can think that Trubisky is going to get that much better as a QB to run an offense. Having Newton come in even as backup will be cheap for them. Cam and do what Bridgewater did and now Winston is trying to do...to get back as a starter somewhere.

That was a thought until they went with Nick Foles as the veteran backup. 

On 4/28/2020 at 9:20 PM, ellitor said:

Yep

I was as big a Cam fan as there was from 2010 to his NFL MVP season. However, I think the injuries (which have Shirley hampered his abilities the last couple of years) are largely a smokescreen for some alarming behavior to the executives. While I would never claim 100% accurate insight into a person's desire or will to succeed in anything, it just LOOKS like when he got beaten down, or when adversity hit, his reactions were not great. He tended to sulk, loaf, sandbag, and appear as though he weren't really connected to the team or playing with max effort. When they were hitting on all cylinders, he was the life of the party and a kid in a candy shop, but when they weren't, he just didn't give good body language. 

And then, he comes out of the locker room looking like a doofus pimp half the time. This is what I think happened:

1. Cam gets to the NFL, gets paid, and skyrockets due to his novel physical tools. 

2. He ascends in stardom, but soon begins to see himself as a transcendant icon of American culture, rather than just a star NFL player. Hence, the "fashion line" at Belk and all the goofy clothing for press conferences, etc. (Don't get me wrong, I think he uses he public persona/celebrity status for much good in his charitable foundations as well.) 

3. His career (likely) climaxes in the Super Bowl season, but the Broncos bring the wood, and in the 2nd half of that game, as he was running for his life most of the game, he basically throws in the towel. The Panthers lose the Super Bowl, and he shifts his focus more on building the "Cam" brand rather than climbing back to the Mt. Olympus of NFL glory (getting back to the SB).

4. Defenses all over the NFL are determined to get Cam injured b/c he acts (in their minds) like an arrogant boor on the field. (I remember watching Cam play in his first Pro Bowl. Every defensive player against him on that field was flying around acting like their careers depended on knocking him on his a$$ HARD. And there is obviously a normal "understanding" amongst Pro Bowlers that the defenders are out there essentially to just get some cardio in. Yeah, they pursue and tackle, but there is nowhere near max effort in the PB. But there was max effort in the PB against Newton, bc of his antics.) They cheap-shot him, hit him late, and essentially "get after him" big-time in games vs. the Panthers. This results in a marginally increased chance of injury, which he succumbs to in the past couple of years (shoulder, foot...).

5. After not having a healthy, committed Cam for almost 2 years, the Panthers execs decide to cut him because any equity he might have built in the minds of the brass is essentially negated by his sometimes lack of hustle, defeated attitude, poor body language, and probably 1,000 other "little" things that have not been publicized.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:02 AM, tigeraddikt said:

I was as big a Cam fan as there was from 2010 to his NFL MVP season. However, I think the injuries (which have Shirley hampered his abilities the last couple of years) are largely a smokescreen for some alarming behavior to the executives. While I would never claim 100% accurate insight into a person's desire or will to succeed in anything, it just LOOKS like when he got beaten down, or when adversity hit, his reactions were not great. He tended to sulk, loaf, sandbag, and appear as though he weren't really connected to the team or playing with max effort. When they were hitting on all cylinders, he was the life of the party and a kid in a candy shop, but when they weren't, he just didn't give good body language. 

And then, he comes out of the locker room looking like a doofus pimp half the time. This is what I think happened:

1. Cam gets to the NFL, gets paid, and skyrockets due to his novel physical tools. 

2. He ascends in stardom, but soon begins to see himself as a transcendant icon of American culture, rather than just a star NFL player. Hence, the "fashion line" at Belk and all the goofy clothing for press conferences, etc. (Don't get me wrong, I think he uses he public persona/celebrity status for much good in his charitable foundations as well.) 

3. His career (likely) climaxes in the Super Bowl season, but the Broncos bring the wood, and in the 2nd half of that game, as he was running for his life most of the game, he basically throws in the towel. The Panthers lose the Super Bowl, and he shifts his focus more on building the "Cam" brand rather than climbing back to the Mt. Olympus of NFL glory (getting back to the SB).

4. Defenses all over the NFL are determined to get Cam injured b/c he acts (in their minds) like an arrogant boor on the field. (I remember watching Cam play in his first Pro Bowl. Every defensive player against him on that field was flying around acting like their careers depended on knocking him on his a$$ HARD. And there is obviously a normal "understanding" amongst Pro Bowlers that the defenders are out there essentially to just get some cardio in. Yeah, they pursue and tackle, but there is nowhere near max effort in the PB. But there was max effort in the PB against Newton, bc of his antics.) They cheap-shot him, hit him late, and essentially "get after him" big-time in games vs. the Panthers. This results in a marginally increased chance of injury, which he succumbs to in the past couple of years (shoulder, foot...).

5. After not having a healthy, committed Cam for almost 2 years, the Panthers execs decide to cut him because any equity he might have built in the minds of the brass is essentially negated by his sometimes lack of hustle, defeated attitude, poor body language, and probably 1,000 other "little" things that have not been publicized.

I disagree with this completely. This idea that Cam has behavioral problems is just unsupported. All the players that have played with him have supported him publicly. This idea that he’s some kind of jerk in the locker room was created by the media members who got burned by him during the investigation 10 years ago. They thought they had a juicy story about a cheating star quarterback. When they were wrong, they went after his character, making unsubstantiated claims that he was a bad teammate. Those rumors have grown by the NFL and CFB fans that have never liked him. Aside from smear pieces by members of the media and nonsense spewed by detractors, there’s no evidence to suggest Cam is anything other than a model teammate. The players that have been with him the longest have spoken very openly about how much they respect him. Most notably, go read Greg Olsen’s comments on him.

As for the clothing, I have to bring my expertise in here because it is relevant. I’m a PhD psychologist. There’s no link between clothing choice and pompous personality characteristics. So he dresses a little funny. Who cares? Research suggests it has no real connection to the personality he’s been accused by unsupportive fans of having. This is just another smear technique. People have no evidence to support that he’s what their accusing them of, so they are saying “Of course he’s a jerk. Just look at him.”

What I’ve been hearing is that NFL teams are worried that he won’t be what he was. Even if he’s fully recovered, is he as fast as he was before the injury? Is he going to be as aggressive scrambling as he was in the past? I think there’s teams that are interested that are hesitant to jump because they don’t know what he will look like now. If not for COVID, he probably would have been signed because they could bring him in for a workout or let him run some drills. 

32 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I disagree with this completely. This idea that Cam has behavioral problems is just unsupported. All the players that have played with him have supported him publicly. This idea that he’s some kind of jerk in the locker room was created by the media members who got burned by him during the investigation 10 years ago. They thought they had a juicy story about a cheating star quarterback. When they were wrong, they went after his character, making unsubstantiated claims that he was a bad teammate. Those rumors have grown by the NFL and CFB fans that have never liked him. Aside from smear pieces by members of the media and nonsense spewed by detractors, there’s no evidence to suggest Cam is anything other than a model teammate. The players that have been with him the longest have spoken very openly about how much they respect him. Most notably, go read Greg Olsen’s comments on him.

As for the clothing, I have to bring my expertise in here because it is relevant. I’m a PhD psychologist. There’s no link between clothing choice and pompous personality characteristics. So he dresses a little funny. Who cares? Research suggests it has no real connection to the personality he’s been accused by unsupportive fans of having. This is just another smear technique. People have no evidence to support that he’s what their accusing them of, so they are saying “Of course he’s a jerk. Just look at him.”

What I’ve been hearing is that NFL teams are worried that he won’t be what he was. Even if he’s fully recovered, is he as fast as he was before the injury. Is he going to be as aggressive scrambling as he was in the past? I think there’s teams that are interested that are hesitant to jump because they don’t know what he will look like now. If not for COVID, he probably would have been signed because they could bring him in for a workout or let him run some drills. 

I too agree with your analysis of CAm. It amazes me than fans seem to make it so easy what they see is what supports their claims on someone like CAm b/c he handles himself differently and uniquely. From following him after college, I never heard players(the Majority) say anything negative about him or his relationship with his teammates. 

One thing I will add that hurts him in finding a team, is he still can be inaccurate with throws from his poor mechanics that rear its head while he is in the pocket. He's better than his earlier days, but GMs and coaches add that to his list of negatives as to whether to bring him in.

He will be backup, that is what he will end up with for now. Happens to a lot of top QBs that are not the elite guys(Like Brees, Brad, Ben, Rivers, etc). He's part of that second group that has to reemerge as a starter somewhere else.

And don't know if it's really true he is going to sit out until the season and wait for a team to call him, if Their #1 goes down with an injury. That is really risky to me...

On 5/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, AUFriction said:

What I’ve been hearing is that NFL teams are worried that he won’t be what he was. Even if he’s fully recovered, is he as fast as he was before the injury? Is he going to be as aggressive scrambling as he was in the past? I think there’s teams that are interested that are hesitant to jump because they don’t know what he will look like now. If not for COVID, he probably would have been signed because they could bring him in for a workout or let him run some drills. 

I have my opinion and believe everything I stated.  Thanks for the reply.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, AUFriction said:

• 3 weeks later...

That Cam Newton remains unsigned is an indictment on the group-think mentality of the NFL. Put the man on a team with a decent offensive line and some really good skill position players and the sky's the limit. That so many lesser (and I do mean lesser) QB's have been signed or are entrenched in starting positions when a talent like Cam is available is just insane.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

That Cam Newton remains unsigned is an indictment on the group-think mentality of the NFL. Put the man on a team with a decent offensive line and some really good skill position players and the sky's the limit. That so many lesser (and I do mean lesser) QB's have been signed or are entrenched in starting positions when a talent like Cam is available is just insane.

I think it's all about his injury, and teams wanting him at a bargain price. If he still wants starting money, he is going to have to wait until a big time starter goes down during the season or doesn't perform well.

• 3 months later...

Archived