Should Auburn Switch to Nike?

Zeek

https://www.al.com/sports/2015/10/auburn_extends_apparel_deal_wi.html

Does anyone have updated metrics on this? Apparently this deal back in 2015 was very lucrative for AU. We cannot forget how these deals benefit the institution as well

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2016/09/02/behind-the-threads-5-facts-about-auburns-uniform.html

Some additional reading

Auburn's deal is worth $78.1 million over the next nine years at an average of $8.68 million per year, making it the third-largest apparel deal in the country, according to data compiled by AL.com.

Auburn's deal is the largest in the SEC. Notre Dame leads the way nationally at $9 million per year over the next 10 years in its newly-minted deal with Under Armour. Michigan is set to earn between $10.1 million and $10.9 million in its new deal with Nike over the next 15 years, according to reports.

Edited by DAG

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

For what it's worth Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, and Oklahoma wear Nike (almost every playoff team but Notre Dame is sponsored by them)

If we won't do Nike for whatever reason (politics and bad practices)

Adidas wouldn't be terrible

or Jordan (essentially Nike but different enough)

What brand we are is 137% a basketball discussion because it's who's recruiting would greatly benefit and see the biggest surge when it comes to getting the elite one and done guys. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What brand we are is 137% a basketball discussion because it's who's recruiting would greatly benefit and see the biggest surge when it comes to getting the elite one and done guys. 

I agree my man but it means something that every playoff team outside of the blue blood Notre Dame has been a Nike school.

Do you think Adidas would boost basketball?

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I agree my man but it means something that every playoff team outside of the blue blood Notre Dame has been a Nike school.

Do you think Adidas would boost basketball?

Lol not at all. Is that better than UA? hell yah but if we change we don't need to half ass it.

Also the Nike schools you named in football have elite coaches or at the least what seem to be very good coaches. Saban, dabo and Lincoln Riley? Elite. Ryan day seems to be really good so far from what we have seen. We need to get one of those ourselves!!! Lol. Even without one we still recruit top ten almost every season.

Edited by GwillMac6

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol not at all. Is that better than UA? hell yah but if we change we don't need to half ass it.

Also the Nike schools you named in football have elite coaches or at the least what seem to be very good coaches. Saban, dabo and Lincoln Riley? Elite. Ryan day seems to be really good so far from what we have seen. We need to get one of those ourselves!!! Lol. Even without we still recruit top ten almost every season.

PJ Fleck would have been amazing but I think Minnesota is ready to throw huge money to keep him at this point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

PJ Fleck would have been amazing but I think Minnesota is ready to throw huge money to keep him at this point.

Yeah, but can he beat a upper tier SEC school?...

Oh wait... nevermind. 

Screenshot_20181215-213059~2.png

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

Yup everyone in here denying that there’s an incentive for basketball players to go to Nike/Adidas schools...

Told y’all 

There is a difference to me when people are saying Little Timmy wore Nike's since the third grade, all his friends in HS wore Nike, he thinks Nike is cool, thus he is gonna choose this school to wear a Nike vs Nike just gave him 50K, a new car, and set his parents up in a house to go to X school that wears Nike.

Lot of those kid would go to a school that was sponsored by Crocs if the price was right. Should of just said we should go Nike cause they are buying players to schools they sponsor.

If SI is right it won't matter what we wear though. They believe we got one of those nice Louisville/Kansas letters from the NCAA and Auburn isn't denying it.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:49 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Adidas is making a nice push too. Anything but UA.

I love Adidas sneakers! And we wouldn’t have to worry about them messing up our uniforms with their 3 shoulder stripe thing, because they’d just use the same design we always use.  The prospect of wearing Jordan Brand just seems to awesome, though.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I love Adidas sneakers! And we wouldn’t have to worry about them messing up our uniforms with their 3 shoulder stripe thing, because they’d just use the same design we always use.  The prospect of wearing Jordan Brand just seems to awesome, though.

Nike or bust

Maybe I a missing something, but such a decision doesn't have to be a 10 yr deal.   Surely Auburn could do 5 yrs and then reevaluate.   Some of us are acting like this is a lifetime thing.

26 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Maybe I a missing something, but such a decision doesn't have to be a 10 yr deal.   Surely Auburn could do 5 yrs and then reevaluate.   Some of us are acting like this is a lifetime thing.

I think many Nike deals are 10 - 15 years for big college programs. Even the NFL and NBA deal is 8 and MLB is 10. I don't think they'd do a 5 year deal. Adidas might, I didn't search for their deals. 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I think many Nike deals are 10 - 15 years for big college programs. Even the NFL and NBA deal is 8 and MLB is 10. I don't think they'd do a 5 year deal. Adidas might, I didn't search for their deals. 

ahhhh.    Ok, I see this a little more clearly now.   So is our UA deal ending soon?  Is that why Allen Green is asking for our input?   hahaha

16 hours ago, gr82be said:

Yeah, but can he beat a upper tier SEC school?...

Oh wait... nevermind. 

Screenshot_20181215-213059~2.png

Yeah programs like UCF, Minn, Wisc,  and OU love to play Gus because it helps them so much. 

"Hey we beat a top flight SEC program, we beat a good Auburn team in the south, in a bowl game!" 

Maybe we should not do bowl games any longer unless they are playoffs, depending on who our coach is....

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

ahhhh.    Ok, I see this a little more clearly now.   So is our UA deal ending soon?  Is that why Allen Green is asking for our input?   hahaha

Middle of 2025 if they don't re-up along the way. I don't see why different sports can't negotiate their own deals. Probably why I've always worked for someone else instead of myself. I didn't always pay attention in every class.  :)

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 1

I'm not going to get into the politics (nike) or the ncaa/federal legality issues (nike/adidas) but didn't Tubs once have AU with New Balance? 

In my much more athletic days, I also have wide feet and constantly suffered from collapsed arches & shin-splints but NB took care of all of that.

Are they even in college athletics anymore?  I loved their shoes!  Personally, they might give an actual foot support advantage....

As for apparel (and uniforms) if Russell Athletic is even still in business, aren't they actually fairly local to Auburn?  Why not support a local company?

JMO but unless the "sponsor" is illegally paying & leading recruits to your school (which it seems schools & coaches are now getting investigated left & right for) then just use what's best and have a liaison help with preferred design/fashion and be done with it?  I find it hard to believe that Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Coach K, etc need a BRAND to recruit top notch talent. 

Just my 2 rusty pennies.... :beer2:

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 6:02 PM, DAG said:

Not a fan tbh. My top two our brooks and Mizuno. I have a very flat arch so both of those provide me with stability without breaking my shins. IMO, Reebok, UA & Nike do no true justice for runners feet. They look very nice though. 

I have gone specialty and use Altra trail running shoes. They have a wide toebox and are very comfortable. I do own stock in Nike, so, people dont be too tough on them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Just my 2 rusty pennies..

You must've gotten a peak at the Russell Athletic contract offer. :)

• Haha 1

A few things:  Going all the way back to 2009, our players have been wearing Nike gear under their UA gear.  They just needed to hide it and the coaches were okay.  I knew a few of the managers and players when in school.  UA's original apparel contract with Auburn was the biggest contract in the country, so it helped out Auburn quite a bit.  The 2015 renewal was still quite large.  UA may still be paying more than Nike ever would so who knows.  UA may be willing to pay the premium to try and help their brand trend up.  Kind of like how Nike originally paid Michael Jordan more than double what other companies were offering ($250k compared to $100k) so they could develop further.  I can see both sides of which sponsor is better.  Our players prefer Nike's gear, but UA pays Auburn more to make the university better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Going all the way back to 2009, our players have been wearing Nike gear under their UA gear.  They just needed to hide it and the coaches were okay.

So Nike Under Armour. 👍

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Where did our nice travel conversations go @McLoofus

Gotta say, I was enjoying that conversation.   I went to Thailand in the late 90’s and it’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen.  The food was great too!

• Like 2

I guess this thread got bumped and someone deleted a post, but one thing looking back (and I might've said this already honestly lol) is that 2015 UA wasn't that bad. A demographic that ties in heavily with football watchers bought UA stuff and it seemed like they had the athletes that were fashion/culture forward to break out that box

Cam being banged up and Stephen becoming a Robin on his own team (and then their dynasty collapsing), those two things definitely killed their projections I'd bet. 

They got DK Metcalf and Jonathan Taylor but those aren't big cultural names. Joel Embiid isn't a "cool" guy fashion wise, but he is a major figure. They just don't have many cultural movers unfortunately 

i would probably defer to the coaches as they know what they need. it is that simple.

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Where did our nice travel conversations go @McLoofus

Completely ******* ridiculous. Who tf cares if we talk about Thailand. This is a thread about athletic apparel companies.

Whoever is "moderating" this thread is being a giant dork. 

• Haha 1