Reopening states will cause 233,000 more people...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. No choice when the system isn't set up to take care of folks when they need it. Guess it's gonna stay that way. 

That has been my whole point, we don't have a system to take care of people to shut down long term. That's why states are trying to reopen as best they can as they should. It is the reality we live in. 

Also, the government can't even properly take care of our veterans (see train wreck thread). I don't have much faith that they could handle the general population even if they tried. Ugh.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

That has been my whole point, we don't have a system to take care of people to shut down long term. That's why states are trying to reopen as best they can as they should. It is the reality we live in

We do not have a system designed to "take care" of people for a shut down of this magnitude for any term. Agree with you on reality. 

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

We do not have a system designed to "take care" of people for a shut down of this magnitude for any term. Agree with you on reality. 

Yeah, pretty much!! Lol 

27B92EE4-22DA-44B3-84C4-0A4861420BB3.jpeg

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

salty word around the office is you wear a thong on the beach. is this true lad?

No thong or speedo . Visit the beach only when certain fish are running and early morning then. Women looking me over like a good dessert becomes tiresome. 

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

No thong or speedo . Visit the beach only when certain fish are running and early morning then. Women looking me over like a good dessert becomes tiresome. 

It must be burdensome, keep up as best you can.

20 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

That has been my whole point, we don't have a system to take care of people to shut down long term. That's why states are trying to reopen as best they can as they should. It is the reality we live in.

If we did have a system that would take care of people no matter what, how many generations would it take before people would just let the government take care of them without working?  Not everyone would want the government to decide what they do, but those that don’t would get tired of supporting the ones that do.

The government’s job is not to provide for people, it is to allow the people to provide for themselves. 

On 5/8/2020 at 8:56 AM, aubiefifty said:
...I'm like, how is he not in jail?"

One of the great mysteries of life. Wohl and Burkman are absolute chodes. 

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If we did have a system that would take care of people not matter what, how many generations would it take before people would just let the government take care of them without working?  Not everyone would want the government to decide what they do, but those that don’t would get tired of supporting the ones that do.

The government’s job is not to provide for people, it is to allow the people to provide for themselves. 

yes i keep waiting for those kids who are hungry through no fault of their own to get smacked down for needing help. that crap of being afraid of people not working is old and tired. in a time where corporate raiders can still your pensions or people lose jobs from being moved overseas or closing. if we claim to be a christian nation we should act like one. there will always be someone trying to game th system but it is no need to let elderly and children go hungry. or decide if they buy meds or food. statements like your are part of the problem. but you are not alone in your thinking on this site. for many the fact children are locked up in cages is a non issue.  too many people have forgotten what it is like to hungry.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

can still your pensions

Interestingly enough, my pension was given to the PBGC (Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation) and receive about 1/5th of what I had earned and I still believe government should stay out of business except in times that are extraordinary. Policy should not be written for the exceptions in life, but should be mindful of them.  It’s your responsibility to take care of yourself. 

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if we claim to be a christian nation we should act like one

I have always loved this one.  If you claim to be a Christian Nation you get blasted from the left as we praise the separation of church and state.  It is only brought up when it is convenient for the left to do so, usually on moral grounds.  Charity is a function on people that want to give to others, it is not a function of government.  When government started to do charity work, individuals gifting started to decline.

20 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

there will always be someone trying to game th system

I would rather someone game the system than a politician game the people.

22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

statements like your are part of the problem

Statements like mine are meant to find the solution and the solution isn’t just to give people what they want without earning it.  There are times when people need assistance, but it shouldn’t be a way of life.

It is obvious he have experienced different things in our lifetime.

that basically is saying some people do not matter. all people matter period. we will disagree on this one.

How did we go from a federal effort to coordinate, fund and direct a national response to a pandemic to the federal government providing for everyone's needs?   :dunno:

On 5/9/2020 at 11:41 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Interestingly enough, my pension was given to the PBGC (Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation) and receive about 1/5th of what I had earned and I still believe government should stay out of business except in times that are extraordinary. Policy should not be written for the exceptions in life, but should be mindful of them.  It’s your responsibility to take care of yourself. 

I have always loved this one.  If you claim to be a Christian Nation you get blasted from the left as we praise the separation of church and state.  It is only brought up when it is convenient for the left to do so, usually on moral grounds.  Charity is a function on people that want to give to others, it is not a function of government.  When government started to do charity work, individuals gifting started to decline.

I would rather someone game the system than a politician game the people.

Statements like mine are meant to find the solution and the solution isn’t just to give people what they want without earning it.  There are times when people need assistance, but it shouldn’t be a way of life.

It is obvious he have experienced different things in our lifetime.

if people are hungry you feed them and then you teach. to punish those clearly in need because of some freeloaders is bullsh*t. jesus states over and over to help the less fortunate. maybe you mispoke but you lost any respect i might have had for you. and yeah i am a nobody but i give to food banks all the time. and it is the job of the federal and state govs to protect the least of us. anything less and you are probably doing the devils work.

I have been posting for years on the Toomer's Corner board and am here now as a result of it being shut down.  I look forward to some great discussions and hope to learn a grealt deal from everyone here. 

Per the CDC website less than 4,000 out of a population of over 25,000,000 have died with Covid-19 in the US who are under the age of 55 years old.  This includes those with underlying medical conditions. In fact, per the CDC since Feb. 1st until now more people under 55 years old have died with pneumonia than with Covid-19 in the US.  

Our healthcare system is not close to being overwhelmed and in fact several have laid off employees.  There is very, very, very, very low risk of anyone in the US under the age of 55 dying with Covid-19.  If you take away those with inderlying conditions there is virtually no chance of anyone in the US dying with Covid-19 who is under age 65.  Based on the data, it is past time for businesses to be able to open and I mean all businesses. If the data changes then we can adjust to the facts on the ground at that time. 

37 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if people are hungry you feed them and then you teach. to punish those clearly in need because of some freeloaders is bullsh*t. jesus states over and over to help the less fortunate. maybe you mispoke but you lost any respect i might have had for you. and yeah i am a nobody but i give to food banks all the time. and it is the job of the federal and state govs to protect the least of us. anything less and you are probably doing the devils work.

Jesus did state to help the less fortunate in the world and he said that to the individual person, not the ruling government as governments have a tendency to change from time to time.  If you are truly a *separation of church and state* person, do your duty without being told to by the government.  Any politician that tells you that “this is not the way America is” is playing on Christian believers and goes to their moral feelings while keeping anything religious out of publicly financed institutions like schools.

No where did I mean to insinuate I don’t care about the less fortunate. What I believe is each individual needs to give their time and talents (money) to institutions that will help the less fortunate.  If we are teaching people to earn a living so they won’t be hungry, we aren’t do a very good job.  We recently had the lowest unemployment numbers in 50 years. If you didn’t work, it was your choice.

It is harder in these times, as the government throws money at all kind of issues that seem to be counter productive in many cases.  It is a complicated issue.  San Francisco is giving Alcohol and drugs to the homeless that are in city rented hotels.

The city has handed out either booze, tobacco or medical cannabis to 43 homeless people with addictions to deter them from leaving the hotels and potentially spreading coronavirus, Jenna Lane, a spokeswoman for the city’s Department of Health, told the San Francisco Chronicle.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/san-francisco-gives-drugs-alcohol-to-homeless-quarantining-in-hotels/

So, if there is still a war on drugs, how can the government hand out free drugs?  I know the article says *medical* marijuana, but come on, how many homeless would have a prescription?  Other articles mention giving the homeless meth.

Therefore, I will give my time and talent to the issues that are dear to me and let the government give our money to issues that never get resolved.

4 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I have been posting for years on the Toomer's Corner board and am here now as a result of it being shut down.  I look forward to some great discussions and hope to learn a grealt deal from everyone here. 

Per the CDC website less than 4,000 out of a population of over 25,000,000 have died with Covid-19 in the US who are under the age of 55 years old.  This includes those with underlying medical conditions. In fact, per the CDC since Feb. 1st until now more people under 55 years old have died with pneumonia than with Covid-19 in the US.  

Our healthcare system is not close to being overwhelmed and in fact several have laid off employees.  There is very, very, very, very low risk of anyone in the US under the age of 55 dying with Covid-19.  If you take away those with inderlying conditions there is virtually no chance of anyone in the US dying with Covid-19 who is under age 65.  Based on the data, it is past time for businesses to be able to open and I mean all businesses. If the data changes then we can adjust to the facts on the ground at that time. 

Welcome! Good luck here. I don't think you will like it.

I agree with your post.

23 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Welcome and congratulations. Only twenty minutes before ICHY welcomed you with a thumbs down. You may experience some rough times here. He usually starts with his signature "face palm". 

35 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Welcome! Good luck here. I don't think you will like it.

I agree with your post.

Thanks and War Eagle!

13 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Welcome and congratulations. Only twenty minutes before ICHY welcomed you with a thumbs down. You may experience some rough times here. He usually starts with his signature "face palm". 

I enjoy respectful debate and conversation. Thanks and War Eagle!

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

Very important to remember when citing any of these statistics that they have been accumulated with the country mostly in lockdown. The mitigation efforts "working" (80,000 dead Americans and 2,000 more dying every day) doesn't seem like a good reason to stop them to me. 

It's true that hospitals are laying people off. A lot of rural hospitals were already in bad shape financially (another reason for massive healthcare/payer overhaul) but stopping the elective surgeries broke their backs. Those for whom it isn't already too late are starting to do elective surgeries again so that trend should reverse. Again, though, the reason the system wasn't overwhelmed is because the mitigation efforts are somewhat working. Lift the restrictions and we likely have a lot more New Yorks (where healthcare systems- and the post-mortem industry- very much have been overwhelmed.)

Welcome, good luck and War Eagle.

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's true that hospitals are laying people off. A lot of rural hospitals were already in bad shape financially (another reason for massive healthcare/payer overhaul) but stopping the elective surgeries broke their backs. Those for whom it isn't already too late are starting to do elective surgeries again so that trend should reverse.

My parent company is getting hit particularly hard right now. My division (Mar Cor) is doing OK because we deal with a service that absolutely can't be shut down, dialysis. But the big moneymaker for the parent company is electives. Lot of folks in areas other than mine have been furloughed.

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very important to remember when citing any of these statistics that they have been accumulated with the country mostly in lockdown. The mitigation efforts "working" (80,000 dead Americans and 2,000 more dying every day) doesn't seem like a good reason to stop them to me. 

It's true that hospitals are laying people off. A lot of rural hospitals were already in bad shape financially (another reason for massive healthcare/payer overhaul) but stopping the elective surgeries broke their backs. Those for whom it isn't already too late are starting to do elective surgeries again so that trend should reverse. Again, though, the reason the system wasn't overwhelmed is because the mitigation efforts are somewhat working. Lift the restrictions and we likely have a lot more New Yorks (where healthcare systems- and the post-mortem industry- very much have been overwhelmed.)

Welcome, good luck and War Eagle.

Thanks and War Eagle!  If we do start to see the healthcare system close to becoming overwhelmed, then we can adjust to those facts.  The facts right now in the US is you have virtually no chance of dying if you are under the age of 65 and have no underlying medical conditions.  I understand why hospitals are laying off people and I agree it is largely because people put off elective surgeries and procedures....like mammograms and cancer screenings and the like. 

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Are you advocating open with masks or optional?

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

Thanks and War Eagle!  If we do start to see the healthcare system close to becoming overwhelmed, then we can adjust to those facts.  The facts right now in the US is you have virtually no chance of dying if you are under the age of 65 and have no underlying medical conditions.  I understand why hospitals are laying off people and I agree it is largely because people put off elective surgeries and procedures....like mammograms and cancer screenings and the like. 

If we can get testing where it needs to be, then my stance changes. But it can take up to two weeks for someone to become symptomatic, so a resumption of normal routines without testing could lead to an "adjustment" already being two weeks too late. 

I do hope we can resume full healthcare treatments and procedures for anything non-cosmetic. 

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Are you advocating open with masks or optional?

I was at a masks-optional beach yesterday and, let me tell ya, you do not want to see most of those people with no mask on. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If we can get testing where it needs to be, then my stance changes. But it can take up to two weeks for someone to become symptomatic, so a resumption of normal routines without testing could lead to an "adjustment" already being two weeks too late. 

I do hope we can resume full healthcare treatments and procedures for anything non-cosmetic. 

We’ve started resuming here in TX for most medical procedures. 

Archived