Reopening states will cause 233,000 more people...

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Is that guilt?

I’m interested in facts. Please show how or where I’m wrong. I’m open to any evidence. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I’m interested in facts. Please show how or where I’m wrong. I’m open to any evidence. 

I didn’t mention a 40 year old business owner. You did. I didn’t say you’re wrong about anything.

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Strychnine, hit-n-run, or falling piano...

You left out about ten thousand more scenarios. 

46 minutes ago, alexava said:

You left out about ten thousand more scenarios. 

Dynamite, running into a giant boulder painted like a tunnel, falling off a tall cliff...😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Although typically slower over long  distances, those 75 year olds are sneaky quick in short burst

Especially if they have tnt rockets strapped to their back!! lol 

6 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Especially if they have tnt rockets strapped to their back!! lol 

So you've met my dad, huh?

8 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

I’m not sure some people are considering the health issues caused by financial stress. 

Virtually none of the talking heads are, they act like this virus operates in a vacuum. Yesterday I saw the head of the American Medical Assn. on TV. She is a psychiatrist and spoke at length of the mental health consequences of the restrictions and loss of family income. It appears those age 18 and under are the main group suffering from mental issues due to the situation. I'd have thought the parents who lost their jobs would be at the top, but apparently kids 18 and under feel the pain more.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:41 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Interestingly enough, my pension was given to the PBGC (Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation) and receive about 1/5th of what I had earned and I still believe government should stay out of business except in times that are extraordinary. Policy should not be written for the exceptions in life, but should be mindful of them.  It’s your responsibility to take care of yourself. 

I have always loved this one.  If you claim to be a Christian Nation you get blasted from the left as we praise the separation of church and state.  It is only brought up when it is convenient for the left to do so, usually on moral grounds.  Charity is a function on people that want to give to others, it is not a function of government.  When government started to do charity work, individuals gifting started to decline.

I would rather someone game the system than a politician game the people.

Statements like mine are meant to find the solution and the solution isn’t just to give people what they want without earning it.  There are times when people need assistance, but it shouldn’t be a way of life.

It is obvious he have experienced different things in our lifetime.

ok tell me how a six year old child can earn a hot meal? i will wait.........

20 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Jesus did state to help the less fortunate in the world and he said that to the individual person, not the ruling government as governments have a tendency to change from time to time.  If you are truly a *separation of church and state* person, do your duty without being told to by the government.  Any politician that tells you that “this is not the way America is” is playing on Christian believers and goes to their moral feelings while keeping anything religious out of publicly financed institutions like schools.

No where did I mean to insinuate I don’t care about the less fortunate. What I believe is each individual needs to give their time and talents (money) to institutions that will help the less fortunate.  If we are teaching people to earn a living so they won’t be hungry, we aren’t do a very good job.  We recently had the lowest unemployment numbers in 50 years. If you didn’t work, it was your choice.

It is harder in these times, as the government throws money at all kind of issues that seem to be counter productive in many cases.  It is a complicated issue.  San Francisco is giving Alcohol and drugs to the homeless that are in city rented hotels.

The city has handed out either booze, tobacco or medical cannabis to 43 homeless people with addictions to deter them from leaving the hotels and potentially spreading coronavirus, Jenna Lane, a spokeswoman for the city’s Department of Health, told the San Francisco Chronicle.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/san-francisco-gives-drugs-alcohol-to-homeless-quarantining-in-hotels/

So, if there is still a war on drugs, how can the government hand out free drugs?  I know the article says *medical* marijuana, but come on, how many homeless would have a prescription?  Other articles mention giving the homeless meth.

Therefore, I will give my time and talent to the issues that are dear to me and let the government give our money to issues that never get resolved.

dude when did i mention booze or pot? wtf has that got to do with feeding a hungry child? or even an elder too old or sick or both to work? your reasons are complete bullcrap. go look up how many children go hungry in alabama every single day. we are better than this...........

10 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Just hit 65 and seems that people in my age group have adjusted pretty well to advised recommendations. Many of us live that way in normal times. Toughest thing is not being able to travel as freely and spend time with with family members. Had to cancel a couple of flights but have made several trips on the interstate and highways. Gloves and mask to fuel up. If you need to stretch or take a leak pull behind the truckers parking at rear of rest stops. Usually nothing there other than a few sleeping drivers and always a green privacy hedge row. 

Not ready to advise ALL others to get back to work. Depends on the individual, what they do and where they work. I still do some work. Been able to see several company/corporate policies regarding "coronavirus and work".  All appear to be very responsible and flexible. 

i keep hand sanitizer in my truck as well as by the front door and in the kitchen. i have face masks but i prefer bandannas. i keep a pair of gloves in the truck as well because you can wear them ans let them sit on the dash in the sun and  no virus cooties in two hours. i have had no visitors other than the grass guy. i also help a friend who has five percent vision and his old lady stays sick just about 24/7 after being throw through a car windshield in a really bad car wreck. we got into yesterday because he likes to stay up and then get out around noon. i try to sneak in stores during senior hours. i told him i was tired of waiting for him to get his ass up so our planned trip yesterday did not happen. he thinks i am being overly reactive and i guess he can keep thinking that. i have been taking this cat and his wife to different things averaging two or three trips a week for four or five years running now and i feel like if i have to run him around on his time because he wants to sleep in he is taking advantage of me. not anymore. i have taken a lot of chances with him i normally would not take and exposing myself to help him. but that has stopped until he changes. i hit 65 in august and i hope to be around a few years past that. anyway i apologize for the rant but my point is i am trying my best to give myself the best chance to get through this.

Evidently we're tracking similarly to 1918 in some interesting ways. Maybe enough people in the right places will accept the risk and we'll all just hope it's not our meemaw or pawpaw. Certainly seems to be trending that way. I haven't changed my mind but that's the whole thing. Doesn't really matter what any single individual does if everyone around them is doing whatever they want.

A help desk guy came to my desk this morning to tell me something that he very easily could have put in an email. He coughed while standing over me. I visibly recoiled. He said, and I quote, "It's okay, I've got my mask on."

In theory, we should be able to do a lot of the things that people are advocating for. But in reality, this country is 46% dumbass and can't tie its own damned shoes, much less handle a pandemic like a grownup. 

"The mayor, over the protest of his own Board of Health, decided to remove the closure orders, and it was only about three weeks into their epidemic," Navarro said. "They were definitely not done with their epidemic."

Cases spiked again around Thanksgiving, and another surge occurred into the New Year. However, in many places, there was no appetite to enact another set of mandates.

"Removing those orders and then trying to re-implement them a second time, where some cities tried that, proved to be very difficult," Navarro said. "Either they tried it and they were shot down, or they considered it but realized that the economic and political ramifications were too great."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/breaking-point-anti-lockdown-efforts-during-spanish-flu-offer-cautionary-n1202111?fbclid=IwAR0Q6uCsCQ7ExGg812E84IL2ZhQqD8ubXurrJ6WA2aVaajMaR-69ZJslPFY

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

dude when did i mention booze or pot? wtf has that got to do with feeding a hungry child? or even an elder too old or sick or both to work? your reasons are complete bullcrap. go look up how many children go hungry in alabama every single day. we are better than this...........

What I was going for, mentioning the San Francisco debacle, is our tax dollars are going to the government’s priorities, not yours or mine.  If you want to give to children that goes hungry in Alabama, you are going to have to do it, the government obviously isn’t getting the job done.

It’s the individual that makes the difference and relying on the government to change their priorities is very frustrating.  My original post on this subject (page 3) was that relying on the government to provide for you and yours is not what the government is there for, it’s up to the individual.

The great State of Alabama proves that, as does every other state, in feeding the children.  How long has it been going on?  It probably is some politician’s campaign promise, but it never gets done, does it. 

18 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

What I was going for, mentioning the San Francisco debacle, is our tax dollars are going to the government’s priorities, not yours or mine.  If you want to give to children that goes hungry in Alabama, you are going to have to do it, the government obviously isn’t getting the job done.

It’s the individual that makes the difference and relying on the government to change their priorities is very frustrating.  My original post on this subject (page 3) was that relying on the government to provide for you and yours is not what the government is there for, it’s up to the individual.

The great State of Alabama proves that, as does every other state, in feeding the children.  How long has it been going on?  It probably is some politician’s campaign promise, but it never gets done, does it. 

The only problem is that it seems every time a state gets additional money from taxes or say the lottery they waste it and give it to their cronies and not what it was originally intended for. Which you reference in you post.

4 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

The only problem is that it seems every time a state gets additional money from taxes or say the lottery they waste it and give it to their cronies and not what it was originally intended for. Which you reference in you post.

When a lottery vote came up in Alabama in the early aughts, I voted against it. IIRC, over 50% of it was to go into a discretionary fund and less than 25% of it was going specifically to education.

Government works in some places, though. If we could just take the corporate interest money out of it, we'd all be so much better off. But for whatever reason, we don't really want to. 

Gawd, I wish Bernie Sanders could quit acting like Bernie Sanders for 5 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

When a lottery vote came up in Alabama in the early aughts, I voted against it. IIRC, over 50% of it was to go into a discretionary fund and less than 25% of it was going specifically to education.

Government works in some places, though. If we could just take the corporate interest money out of it, we'd all be so much better off. But for whatever reason, we don't really want to. 

Gawd, I wish Bernie Sanders could quit acting like Bernie Sanders for 5 minutes. 

I think we all do as citizens, but we all know how the politicians feel about their corporate interest money. Ugh. 

30 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Pelosi is working on a State bailout worth around $750 Billion.  A lot of the debt California and NY has accumulated is due to their defined benefit pensions for their teachers, police, fire and other government jobs.  Do you believe California and NY will make the pensions whole in these states or spend it to feed the poor or help the illegal aliens?  

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Pelosi is working on a State bailout worth around $750 Billion.  A lot of the debt California and NY has accumulated is due to their defined benefit pensions for their teachers, police, fire and other government jobs.  Do you believe California and NY will make the pensions whole in these states or spend it to feed the poor or help the illegal aliens?  

We all know what will happen with that money.......

6 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

We all know what will happen with that money.......

Looks like ICHY hates teachers, cops and firefighters too....in addition to veterans and orphans....lol 

47 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Looks like ICHY hates teachers, cops and firefighters too....in addition to veterans and orphans....lol 

He/she really needs this emoji option. 

Screenshot_20200512-184410~2.png

So far the model is completely wrong for Georgia.  Brian Kemp appears to be smarter than Fauci and Trump so far as he looks to be a good role model for opening back up (I do understand the data could change): 

As of Wednesday, the seven-day moving average of new cases was 242, down from 773 on April 29. The seven-day moving average of deaths was 12, down sharply from 34 on April 29, according to the state health department. Hospitalizations in the state stood at 1,125 on Wednesday, a decline from the 1,500 figure on May 1, according to the Georgia Emergency Management Agency

3 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

So far the model is completely wrong for Georgia.  Brian Kemp appears to be smarter than Fauci and Trump so far as he looks to be a good role model for opening back up (I do understand the data could change): 

As of Wednesday, the seven-day moving average of new cases was 242, down from 773 on April 29. The seven-day moving average of deaths was 12, down sharply from 34 on April 29, according to the state health department. Hospitalizations in the state stood at 1,125 on Wednesday, a decline from the 1,500 figure on May 1, according to the Georgia Emergency Management Agency

i am almost 65 so pardon me for not following anyones advice if they are not in the medical field. pas the biscuits made a statement i am going to stick to as strict as i can. it is my understanding that the qtip swap tests are not very reliable and we could be doing way better or way worse. but you can bet i listened. i will wait until the antibody test is available before i could be sure of getting a good test. am i far off loof?

Archived