Auburn Flashback - The Night of Coach Boom

StatTiger

This Auburn Flashback travels back to 2007 on the night Coach Will Muschamp earned the moniker of Coach Boom. The Auburn Tigers went to Arkansas to take on the Arkansas Razorbacks, who defeated Auburn the season before at Jordan-Hare. Tommy Tuberville’s team was riding a 3-game winning streak but were 4-4 against the Razorbacks. Arkansas was a dangerous team in 2007, entering the game averaging 338-yards rushing and 42 points per game. The Razorbacks had a history of success running the football against Auburn, averaging over 200-yards during the last eight showdowns against the Tigers.

The Auburn defense was allowing nearly 140-yards rushing to conference opposition, and Arkansas would be the best run-offense they would face in 2007. The 2007 Auburn-Arkansas game is rarely talked about, but it was one of Auburn’s best defensive performances during the modern era of college football. On that night, the Tigers held the Razorback offense to 193-yards total offense and only 67-yards rushing. The performance was needed as the Auburn offense managed only 293-yards and nine points that night.

Late in the game, an emotional Coach Will Muschamp (Defensive Coordinator) was captured on the ESPN broadcast, dropping a few words from the sideline, directed at his defensive personnel. He was heard shouting, “Boom… knock those @#%&% out.” Auburn fans who appreciate great defense were forever connected with Coach Muschamp. On that night, Muschamp’s players played their hearts out in a rivalry game rarely recognized from the Auburn perspective.

https://youtu.be/Rq-8snv_iy8

2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Arkansas was a dangerous team in 2007, entering the game averaging 338-yards rushing and 42 points per game

Impressive.

One of the best DL we've had and what I wouldn't give for another Powers and McFadden.

Boom definitely has his flaws,  but dude can flat out coach some D and I always love his attitude. His players always seem to run through walls for him. 

I'm happy that most of the butthurt seems to have worn off the fanbase from him taking the USC job. He deserved nothing but our gratitude for turning our defense around in that one year back. I truly believe that Kevin Steele doesn't have this thing humming like it is if he comes in right after Ellis Johnson. 

Agreed that the dude isn't perfect, but he was perfect for us on  more than one occasion. 

And yes, I'm totally a broken record on this subject. Apologies. Happy to see the love in this thread.

That defense had a lot of 3 star and below talent on it that really got coached up very well and played with fire and passion.  2006 and 2007 were two of the more physical secondaries AU has ever had.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I have no memory of that game. I searched ESPN and see we won 9-7. I am going to search now for the game vs Arkansas that was at night and there was zero tv coverage. I think Arkansas was just being a**holes about it. Edit: I think it was 05. 

2 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

2006 and 2007 were two of the more physical secondaries AU has ever had.

Beautiful wasn't it!

On 5/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, StatTiger said:

The Razorbacks had a history of success running the football against Auburn, averaging over 200-yards during the last eight showdowns against the Tigers.

These stats are skewed by Fred Talley who rushed for 1,241 yards against us in 2002.   Legend has it if you wander JHS at night you can still see Fred Talley running.  

I half thought this was going to be the 2015 Iron Bowl where he blew his top for all the non holding calls.  Those are still some of my favorite GIFs to post during football season.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:51 PM, alexava said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I have no memory of that game. I searched ESPN and see we won 9-7. I am going to search now for the game vs Arkansas that was at night and there was zero tv coverage. I think Arkansas was just being a**holes about it. Edit: I think it was 05. 

I remember McFadden was a beast that year, but a kitten that game.

I remember Blackmon intercepting the ball at half time against K-State. Caught it in the end zone and hurt his leg when he was tackled at the 50 yard line. I think he missed 4-5 games because of it. Also, the interception by powers in the Iron Bowl. I am surprised that doesn't make any highlight videos.

Archived