Auburn Flashback - Carlo Cheattom "Sudden Impact"

StatTiger

Auburn fans often comment on former Auburn safety Carlo Cheattom’s hit on Reggie Cobb during the 1988 Tennessee game. Though it was a vicious hit, fumble and recovery, I always thought Cheattom’s hit during the 1987 Texas game was more impressive.

This Auburn Flashback covers both plays, displaying why Cheattom became a starter for Auburn at safety, despite being undersized. He brought a physical presence to the Auburn secondary, earning All-SEC honors during his senior campaign (1988).

Which hit do you think was his best?

https://youtu.be/F0ewJdy3OXw

STILL one of the hardest licks I have EVER seen.......

Thank you for taking the time to make all of these videos @StatTiger.  They are a nice escape from what is going on.

1988 Tennessee game was my first time in Jordan-Hare.  I had just recently turned 8 years old.  Great introduction to AU football!!!!

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Thank you for taking the time to make all of these videos @StatTiger.  They are a nice escape from what is going on.

Glad you enjoy them.

The reason I like the Reggie Cobb hit better is that Cobb was a beast that year and if I remember correct that hit was early in the game and Cobb sat out the rest of the game with a towel over his head.

EDIT: Correction, the announcer said it was in the 3rd quarter.

Gotta vote for Tennessee game hit for 2 reasons.

1) away game so all the home fans could feel it!

2) runner had steps, and fumbled. Hit, and fumble recovery!

I had pleasure of going to the Texas game. 

Coach Dye rocking the short sleeve button up with a tie and ball cap. What a guy. 

On 5/7/2020 at 9:44 PM, Hopsing said:

It was a home game in Jordan-Hare. Reggie Cobb was @ 220 lbs and Carlos dropped him like a bad habit. I felt the shock wave in the student section...lol. Now the Texas tackle was prettier.

No video but there's this testimonial from some guy named Favre:  

"The worst hit I remember in college was a game at Auburn," Brett says. "The defensive back, I never saw him, and he hit me right here," he says, pointing to his chin. "It was Carlo Cheatum. I'll never forget his name. You live and learn."

On 5/7/2020 at 8:44 PM, Hopsing said:

EXACTLY

I was at the UT game in the student section. That play was directly in front of me and the hit looked so much more violent live than any clips I've seen. Cobb didnt know what hit him.

Was at both games.  But frankly I didn't remember the hit against TX.  I vividly remember the hit against Cobb though and our family still talks about it.   That hit shut TN down.  One thing I've noticed Stat in most of the "big hit" videos from the past.  Over half of them would be called Targeting today.  The hit in the TX game would have resulted in a criminal prosecution nowadays.. 🙂

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Was at both games.  But frankly I didn't remember the hit against TX.  I vividly remember the hit against Cobb though and our family still talks about it.   That hit shut TN down.  One thing I've noticed Stat in most of the "big hit" videos from the past.  Over half of them would be called Targeting today.  The hit in the TX game would have resulted in a criminal prosecution nowadays.. 🙂

Very true.  In my playing days (long gone!) hitting someone hard enough to "decleat" them was not only encouraged but celebrated.  Knowing what we know now about concussions ... ...  Yikes.  

If you want to know what a dropped sack of potatoes looks like hitting the floor, just watch Cobb bounce a couple of times on the Jordan-Hare turf.

Archived