2020 3* C Dylan Cardwell Commits to AU!

GwillMac6

11 hours ago, DonDraper said:

Still whiffin?? We have a top 10 class in the NATION lol. Come on man 

We do have an excellent class. However, these last few we've been hoping for to top it off have been swings and misses. In the diamond sports, that's known as a whiff.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We do have an excellent class. However, these last few we've been hoping for to top it off have been swings and misses. In the diamond sports, that's known as a whiff.

It wasn't a bad analogy Mikey.  I understood it completely when you posted it. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUBourne No clue. He’s been ranked in the top 160 since 247 first rated him on Valentine’s Day last year. That’s well into the high school season and would imply the rating at least had something to do with high school work. Also do you have a link to his stats? You know if you post stats I’m gonna ask for the link.

OAK HILL

Really excited about this kid. Hope we land him. Side note, anyone see that we have a game scheduled with Memphis?

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

anyone see that we have a game scheduled with Memphis?

In the schedule thread pinned at the top.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

In the schedule thread pinned at the top.

Hope we absolutely destroy them

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Thanks @AUBourne. I saw that page last night & just checked it again. The only stats I see are Games Started, Games Played, Minutes, & Minutes Per Games. Nothing on Points or Points Per Game.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Thanks @AUBourne. I saw that page last night & just checked it again. The only stats I see are Games Started, Games Played, Minutes, & Minutes Per Games. Nothing on Points or Points Per Game.

There is a link  for a tab titled scoring on the page linked.  Summary is 3.8 points per game. 

35 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

There is a link  for a tab titled scoring on the page linked.  Summary is 3.8 points per game. 

Duh to me & thanks again!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Sonny Smith signed Mike Jones from Oak Hill in early 80's. He went to Central of Phenix City, some things happened and he transferred to Oak Hill for one year. I believe he was a high school All American that one year

Yes Mike was a big time recruit out of Oak Hill and I remember watching him play at AU. And I Sonny claimed if he had stayed in school all 4 years(ineligible early in his JR year; never returned), he thought he would have been right up there with Charles and Chuck in status at AU. Here is a story on him a few years back. Look at his wiki. The guy played for almost 20 years in Europe. 

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/article90043747.html

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* C Dylan Cardwell Commits to AU!

Dang E, we posted simultaneously 😂

Edited by Maverick.AU

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic

Love it!

He will be a great addition. He adds depth to our lineup, and Coach Pearl will develop him into a great player!

• Like 1

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Dang E, we posted instantaneously 😂

& I would have been even 30 seconds to a minute sooner but I was looking for a tweet that didn't say 4* since he's a 3* on the composite.

• Haha 2

& I would have been even 30 seconds to a minute sooner but I was looking for a tweet that didn't say 4* since he's a 3* on the composite.

Just rub it in why don’t ya 😂. I probably deserve it. I always send this to @GwillMac6 when I beat him with a tweet by 2 seconds. Lol

8FD02980-354E-47FD-BABB-692B2EBEFAD7.gif

• Haha 2

Yesterday, the class calculator on 247 said that Auburn picking up Cardwell would mean AU moves to #7. All the sudden today, we will only move up to #8, and NOT overtake Arizona for the #7 spot by 0.02 points. Did something change? I know the rankings changed a few days ago, but this was checked AFTER that. Before hand, we actually would’ve moved up to 6th.

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Yesterday, the class calculator on 247 said that Auburn picking up Cardwell would mean AU moves to #7. All the sudden today, we will only move up to #8, and NOT overtake Arizona for the #7 spot by 0.02 points. Did something change? I know the rankings changed a few days ago, but this was checked AFTER that. Before hand, we actually would’ve moved up to 6th.

it's the "Auburn factor" that Rivals has solidified in the recruiting circles.  Just a simple algorithm.    Cooper will be ranked a 4 star player by the time August rolls around. 

If Secretariat had signed with our Equestrian team, that horse would be a 2 star before signing day.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

All the sudden today

Not sudden.

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Did something change?

@tigerbrotha12 Yes. 247 did their final full player rankings yesterday.

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I know the rankings changed a few days ago, but this was checked AFTER that.

The full change happened yesterday & change in team rankings went into effect yesterday also. From Tom Green yesterday...

• Thanks 1

Woohoo we got one!! 😃

Seriously though welcome to AU Mr. Caldwell and thanks for being patient! We needed some size bad in this class and the addition of Thor and Caldwell fills that need nicely. Now gotta find that #2 guard who can give us some PG minutes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Now gotta find that #2 guard who can give us some PG minutes

May not be til July til we fill out the class. That's the latest word on when Kuminga expects to make his decision on reclassifying or not.

• Like 1

just rewatched his video; kinda fun watching him and Cooper in the same video.

Congrats and welcome the Auburn Family Dylan Cardwell !!!!!

• Like 1

al.com

3-star center Dylan Cardwell commits to Auburn

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

4-5 minutes

Oak Hill Academy's Dylan Cardwell #20 is seen before a game against IMG Academy during a high school basketball game at the Hoophall Classic, Sunday, January 20, 2019, in Springfield, MA. (AP Photo/Gregory Payan)AP

The most highly touted recruiting class in Auburn basketball history just got another boost.

Three-star center Dylan Cardwell committed to the Tigers on Thursday afternoon, he announced on Instagram, choosing Bruce Pearl’s program over Georgia, Tennessee, Miami, Maryland and UConn, among others. Cardwell is rated as the No. 150 overall player in the 2020 class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings, and the 31st-rated center in the nation.

Cardwell becomes the fifth member of the Tigers’ 2020 class, which includes three players who have already signed their letter of intent -- five-star point guard Sharife Cooper, three-star forward Chris Moore and three-star shooting guard Justin Powell -- as well as another committed player who has yet to officially sign in four-star power forward JT Thor. The addition of Cardwell bumped Auburn’s class up a spot to eighth in the 247Sports team rankings, placing the Tigers just behind Arizona’s seventh-ranked class. Pearl’s program remains fifth among SEC teams in the national class rankings, behind top-ranked Kentucky, No. 4 Tennessee, No. 5 LSU and No. 6 Arkansas.

The Tigers’ landing of Cardwell comes after the team missed out on a pair of top-10 five-star prospects last month, as combo guard Jalen Green signed with the NBA G League and big man Greg Brown committed to Texas. Cardwell had been on Auburn’s radar for some time, though he never took an official visit to campus and only received an official offer this week. Still, the versatile 6-foot-10 center had two critical ties to the program, as he is the nephew of Auburn football defensive line coach Rodney Garner and his wife Kim (and was at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the Kick Six in the 2013 Iron Bowl), and he was also teammates with Cooper -- the highest-rated signee in Auburn history -- last season at McEachern High in Powder Springs, Ga.

Though Cardwell and Cooper were teammates last season, Cardwell did not appear in any games for McEachern after being ruled ineligible due to state transfer rules following his transfer from Oak Hill Academy, the basketball factory in Virginia where he spent his junior season. The two still saw time together on the court in practice, as well as on the Nike EYBL circuit with Athletes of Tomorrow last summer. At the 2019 Peach Jam, Cardwell averaged 5.2 points, seven rebounds and 2.5 blocks in six games while playing alongside Cooper and current Auburn wing Devan Cambridge.

Auburn, which loses five seniors as well as one-and-done star Isaac Okoro (who is expected to keep his name in the NBA Draft), still has one available scholarship to fill out its roster for the 2020-21 season. The addition of the 6-foot-10, 220-pound Cardwell, however, fills a key need for the Tigers following the departure of big men Austin Wiley and Anfernee McLemore, as the team is set to return only one true big man in rising-sophomore Babatunde “Stretch” Akingbola. The 6-foot-10 Akingbola appeared in just 13 games last season and played just 30 total minutes but is expected to be thrust into a larger role next season, while the addition of Cardwell provides Auburn with another lengthy option for the frontcourt rotation.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 8:55 AM, Mikey said:

A bit thin skinned, are we? How is that a dig at Bruce? Do you consider every missed prospect a poor reflection on Bruce? Here's a suggestion: You can simply scroll past my posts, or if you choose to use the ostrich method of sticking your head in the sand and pretending things don't exist, I have heard of an "ignore" function here, though I've never used it myself.

mods are not allowed to iggie anyone from what i was told. E spends a lot of time and energy on this board with no pay. mikey you dook it out with everyone almost on this board and you never admit when you are wrong. i have crossed sword with you and also with E tho not near as much and it has been a long while. i have tried to make it a point with you to let you know it is not personal like with the tucker fredrickson bottle cap. if it is not personal maybe you could work it out with him? it is the christian thing to do i am told. and he burns a lot of time for us on this board. i would hate to lose what he brings because the more we got the better. you seem to tie up with more people on here than you agree with and if you let that sink in you might realize something. unlike the political board it is ok to be wrong. but as i am curious exactly how do you feel about bruce? thanx ahead of time.

• Like 2