vick and his treatment of dogs....

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

"Pibbles" are pretty much always available as rescues. People who aren't familiar with them are afraid of them and they are hard to adopt out.  But my wife and are huge fans and we've had a number of them (along with boxers).  

But they are not for everybody. You must be a responsible owner. (For example, never let them off leash in a dog park.) 

They aren't vicious toward humans at all - at least if they haven't been abused - but you certainly don't want to allow them to get into a fight with another dog, as they do most certainly have a serious"fighting gear".  (See "break stick".)

None of the Pibbles I have owned have been "dog aggressive" and got along just fine with other dogs.  But if someone else's dog starts something, your Pibble will finish it a definitive way. (And you know who will be blamed.)

Lots of good books on "Pibbles".  Two of my favorites (by the same author):

"The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption", by Jim Gorant

"Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered A Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls - One Flying Disc at a Time" Jim Gorant

My pit mix is a rescue. We think he was used as a bait dog in dog fighting, as evidenced by his scars all over his undersides and legs. He’s definitely not a social dog, and not one who takes to strangers or other dogs quickly(he doesn’t mind cats). He took to my wife quickly. It took him about 3 weeks to really get comfortable being around me, but he never growled or acted aggressive toward me. He needed a lot of patience from me. He’s got problems, but we love him.

That said, we keep him on a strong harness and don’t let anyone come near him when in public. 

AslR0yG.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

my last pit was dixie i got from my last ex. man she was my heart. i would take her for rides and get her a cheeseburger and a small vanilla cone. she was so gentle but she could be a badass if needed. i still tear up over her after two years christmas eve.........

dixie, huh? Racist! 😃😃😃

Sorry, I am not trying to derail a good thread. My warped brain found this too god to pass up. Sorry about your loss of dixie.

I'm a meat eater so I'm taking the 5th on that subject. I have a soft spot for dogs of all kinds though. Abusers are weak, always have to find someone or something weaker to hurt. I'm a sucker for a sad face to the point where I'm about $800 poorer the past couple of years from vet bills of animals who showed up at my door. Rescue is the way to go if you're not hung up on pedigree. My wife tells me that I should volunteer at a shelter but I'm allergic to cats so that makes it difficult. Dogs are so freaking loyal, how can anyone hurt one? Unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

dixie, huh? Racist! 😃😃😃

Sorry, I am not trying to derail a good thread. My warped brain found this too god to pass up. Sorry about your loss of dixie.

my ex named her but i got no problem with it. shrugs.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

my ex named her but i got no problem with it. shrugs.

Gotcha! Then your ex is racist!! (This is strictly meant in fun. I do not have any reason to think that you, or your ex, or your sweet dog, are racist.)

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Unfortunately, I've known several pit bulls for years who suddenly became dog aggressive later in life. One of my best friends is perhaps the top dog trainer in ATL and he won't work with them. Too many "accidents". Another friend got put in the hospital by one he'd rescued a few months prior. Dog just freaked out on him and tore him up. 

While it is noble to rescue them, they do love like no other breed, and most of them are probably okay, I hope that somehow it stops being profitable to breed them.

you know if you look up the history of pits they called them nanny dogs and were used to babysit kids while the grownups worked the fields. ans i imagine the breeding has a lot to do with the agressive types as well as some fighting them. but i own no pits now but it is just because i rescued some in dire straights that needed more help than i needed a pit.

2 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Gotcha! Then your ex is racist!! (This is strictly meant in fun. I do not have any reason to think that you, or your ex, or your sweet dog, are racist.)

i wish i could say she was because i have no use for her but she was just a county girl. i do not remember her saying anything racist. she was a huge turd fan too and that is almost as bad.....lol

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

look, take your wife and lock her up in the trunk of your car and ride around a few hours. when you let her out you had probably better run.

Tried that. She bit me then pissed on me before I could put her in the trunk. Thanks Fidy

Understand the pitbull relationship and rescue. Acquainted with a few rescue pits through family and friends. Hard to believe that a dog so powerful can be that friendly and loving. Incomprehensible that anyone could breed and raise them or any animal to fight.

Had dogs my entire life. The last two, a family pet as a new born puppy from the humane society for 16 years and a yorkie inherited from mother law that lived to be 17. Had to have both euthanized a couple of years ago. Tough to do but you know without doubt when the time is right. Something we decided to never go through again.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

How do we go from Nike to Vick to dogs, pigs, !??? It’s all Tarantino’s fault. 

well my excuse is i might smoke too much hoobie but i have no idea what others problems might be  lol

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well my excuse is i might smoke too much hoobie but i have no idea what others problems might be  lol

If I smoked it I know what my problem would be!  Well ,first

off I’d get popped on a random test at work and get fard. Secondly and the main reason my usage never amounted to much, I fall asleep immediately if I smoke weed. If it becomes fully Legal I won’t be here posting this time of nightt

I guess it's just wish what's going on but I guess I get irritated how it seems that even animal's lives are treated as more important that a black man's. And joking about racist and stuff like that is just a way to downplay it as if it doesn't exist.....it's so much going on now but people are passive aggressive about it.....I'm just tired and dejected man....and sad

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I guess it's just wish what's going on but I guess I get irritated how it seems that even animal's lives are treated as more important that a black man's. And joking about racist and stuff like that is just a way to downplay it as if it doesn't exist.....it's so much going on now but people are passive aggressive about it.....I'm just tired and dejected man....and sad

You're absolutely right. 

Like I said before, what Vick did was wrong and sick to me, and he deserved punishment. But so do a lot of other people who continue to do the exact same thing. I think a lot of people made the mistake of blaming the famous black dude for the sins of the entire dog fighting culture, and I think a lot of people forgot about the issue once they thought justice was served. And they'll still get all self-righteous and angry when the Falcons or mainstream outlets of any description acknowledge Vick in any positive way, but then they tune into Tiger King and just laugh, laugh, laugh at all the crazy white people.  

I'm worried that, similarly, people are going to see that the two a**holes in Brunswick got arrested and be like, there, are you happy now, justice is served, back to Tiger King.

I'm sorry, man. It makes me sad, too. The things in the news and the way people are so cavalier about it, even to the point of mocking it. 

10 hours ago, alexava said:

If I smoked it I know what my problem would be!  Well ,first

off I’d get popped on a random test at work and get fard. Secondly and the main reason my usage never amounted to much, I fall asleep immediately if I smoke weed. If it becomes fully Legal I won’t be here posting this time of nightt

yes i had to go for almost eleven years once after they started random drug tests. i needed a paycheck more than i needed a buzz. but i had fun with it. i would talk about how wonderful it was and word would get back to the bossses and they would send me for a test. we got two hours at the end of our shift to go tinkle in a cup. it took about five minutes and was real close to the way i went home so i got  four or five afternoons off untitl they figured it out...........lol. true story

20 hours ago, sandyclawedtiger said:

I'm diabetic and a meat cutter for Publix.(shameless plug). Working tonight and will make a small list of things and pm you. 

i need to check publix out. i am told not only is it a great store but also they pay a decent wage...........

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

There's a whole lot going on in this thread and in your post. First, if my joke about aubiefifty being racist was offensive then I sincerely apologize. If this thread was about Mr. Arbery I certainly would not have said it and wish I hadn't anyway if it is offensive to you or anyone. I agree with you completely about comparing Vick's action's to the actions of Ahmaud's murderers. A friend of mine posted the other morning that he had to decide if it was worth the risk to go for a walk. That was really sobering to me. I am aware that I am completely ignorant to what it must be like to have to wonder if people will try to hurt me because of the color of my skin.

I am sorry to you, cole, and to anyone I may have offended.

26 minutes ago, Grumps said:

There's a whole lot going on in this thread and in your post. First, if my joke about aubiefifty being racist was offensive then I sincerely apologize. If this thread was about Mr. Arbery I certainly would not have said it and wish I hadn't anyway if it is offensive to you or anyone. I agree with you completely about comparing Vick's action's to the actions of Ahmaud's murderers. A friend of mine posted the other morning that he had to decide if it was worth the risk to go for a walk. That was really sobering to me. I am aware that I am completely ignorant to what it must be like to have to wonder if people will try to hurt me because of the color of my skin.

I am sorry to you, cole, and to anyone I may have offended.

I'm not offended, you don't have to apologize but it shows how big you are and your character that you did. I spoke on that because that's what many are doing now and I feel by doing that people of good will give people who aren't good many places to hide. You are absolutely right in what you said though. Ahmud's murder isn't the discussion so your words can't be placed out of context as if it was.

This is more on me, I'm just tied up in so many emotions right now.....it's just sad that I could literally be hunted down and the first thing that would happen is find stuff out to assassinate my character, as if taking my life wasn'tbad enough. I guess people would use my posts on this forum to justify me getting murdered. It's just pathetic and sick and sad. I'm just emotional right now.

Then on top of that there's really no outrage from the white community. It's almost silent, usually when something like this happens you won't even see a post on here.....But let Michelle Obama wear something sleeveless or somebody don't stand for the anthem......can't eradicate this hate without EVERYBODY taking a stand. But like I said I'm emotional right now

Thank you for being so cordial and compassionate though. I really mean that.

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm not offended, you don't have to apologize but it shows how big you are and your character that you did. I spoke on that because that's what many are doing now and I feel by doing that people of good will give people who aren't good many places to hide. You are absolutely right in what you said though. Ahmud's murder isn't the discussion so your words can't be placed out of context as if it was.

This is more on me, I'm just tied up in so many emotions right now.....it's just sad that I could literally be hunted down and the first thing that would happen is find stuff out to assassinate my character, as if taking my life wasn'tbad enough. I guess people would use my posts on this forum to justify me getting murdered. It's just pathetic and sick and sad. I'm just emotional right now.

Then on top of that there's really no outrage from the white community. It's almost silent, usually when something like this happens you won't even see a post on here.....But let Michelle Obama wear something sleeveless or somebody don't stand for the anthem......can't eradicate this hate without EVERYBODY taking a stand. But like I said I'm emotional right now

Thank you for being so cordial and compassionate though. I really mean that.

FWIW, Cole, there's a lot of white outrage in my circles away from this site. Some of it is the same "look at me" crap that follows every tragedy, but there are a lot of white folks genuinely upset and activated right now. But if we're not seeing it here and you're not seeing it elsewhere then obviously it's not enough. 

I only heard about this Wednesday I think. (Arbery Murder). I have seen nothing but outrage in the two days I have been aware of it. Across the board , white, black and all others. Everybody on my Facebook page agrees On it. That never happens. I am not sure why its just now getting around though. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

FWIW, Cole, there's a lot of white outrage in my circles away from this site. Some of it is the same "look at me" crap that follows every tragedy, but there are a lot of white folks genuinely upset and activated right now. But if we're not seeing it here and you're not seeing it elsewhere then obviously it's not enough. 

I was super disappointed with my Facebook. I've worked a bunch of nuke plants and the people that work them are mostly super conservative people. I mean so conservative that you do realize the guy you love so much is wanting to shut the industry you make your living down right? And they still love him smh.....But anyway there are some good people and I know it.....But just dead silent. Argue over dumb stuff 24 hrs a day but all of a sudden super silent....just hurt my heart man.

18 minutes ago, alexava said:

I only heard about this Wednesday I think. (Arbery Murder). I have seen nothing but outrage in the two days I have been aware of it. Across the board , white, black and all others. Everybody on my Facebook page agrees On it. That never happens. I am not sure why its just now getting around though. 

Only about a week ago for me. Because of a friend who lives in Brunswick. Now Taylor Swift is tweeting about it. I just hope it results in meaningful conversation/action/change. Never seems to though. People of color just keep getting murdered for nothing other than being people of color. Meanwhile, white dudes walk right into state capitols with assault rifles and scream and shout and nothing happens. 

Wow, this thread has touched on major emotions. Life has worth and it shouldn't matter whether it's animal or human being and anyone who has a God complex and decides to kill a man for any reason other than self-defense is killing for sport because I know of no other way to put it. I can't begin to assume that I can understand what a black man/woman goes through in their lifetime. I can see it depicted in movies and it sickens and disgust me. When I watch a movie like To Kill a Mockingbird, Hidden Figures, The Express, 42 etc. it calibrates my heart and my head for lack of a better term. I just can't understand that kind of hatred for another person. Being a Christian there is only one way to treat other people, you love them. You don't have to like what they say, what they do or who they associate with. You just show them love, period. When a person can't go for a jog without fearing for their life it should make every other person in the world angry, hurt and determined to fix the mess we have come to know too well. White people have to stand up against white people who do this. And black people have to try to trust those white people who will stand beside them. We have to look for the good in the person and the good lies beneath the color of the skin. The heart and soul of the person is what we have to see. I'm ashamed of the father and son who killed Ahmaud Arbery. I said earlier that life has worth. I also think that a person can forfiet their worth when they act in a way this father and son did. They should be dealt with swiftly and quietly. They should not be allowed to be a burden to taxpayers of society. They can work out there sins with God because he is the only one who can help them now. 

9 hours ago, alexava said:

Of course you have

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, I didn't get to the part where the topic shifted from how a crazy man treats his "pets" to human homicide & race before I posted.   Not really sure if my post even fits in anymore.  Seems way out of place now.

...another reason for me to listen to my gut and stay out of the political forum...

Not at all. Your post is appropriate to the thread. I don't come here often myself...

Clowns to left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you. :)

Archived