Null

Sign in to follow this  
homersapien

Jeff Sessions grapples with new round of Trump attacks

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/08/sessions-grapples-with-new-round-of-trump-attack-s-244991

.......The president said Friday that as he got to know Sessions he was a “very average guy.”

“He was so bad in his nomination proceedings. I should have gotten rid of him there. He knows less about Russia than I did,” Trump said on “Fox & Friends.” “Jeff was just very weak and very sad. And when the name Russia was mentioned, just the word Russia, instead of being a man and saying this is a hoax, he recused himself.”.......

.......Sessions may not have wanted to back down on the Russia investigation, but he also can’t afford to go toe to toe with Trump. And Trump's been signaling he's willing to tank Sessions' bid to regain his seat. The Trump campaign sent Sessions a letter in March accusing him of “misleadingly” promoting his connections to Trump and using a mailer to make “the delusional assertion that you are President Trump’s #1 supporter.”

Just another reason to be ashamed of being from Alabama - at least politically. 

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/08/sessions-grapples-with-new-round-of-trump-attack-s-244991

.......The president said Friday that as he got to know Sessions he was a “very average guy.”

“He was so bad in his nomination proceedings. I should have gotten rid of him there. He knows less about Russia than I did,” Trump said on “Fox & Friends.” “Jeff was just very weak and very sad. And when the name Russia was mentioned, just the word Russia, instead of being a man and saying this is a hoax, he recused himself.”.......

.......Sessions may not have wanted to back down on the Russia investigation, but he also can’t afford to go toe to toe with Trump. And Trump's been signaling he's willing to tank Sessions' bid to regain his seat. The Trump campaign sent Sessions a letter in March accusing him of “misleadingly” promoting his connections to Trump and using a mailer to make “the delusional assertion that you are President Trump’s #1 supporter.”

Just another reason to be ashamed of being from Alabama - at least politically. 

Can you explain what you mean? Should I be ashamed of being from Alabama politically because Trump doesn't like Sessions?

On 5/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Grumps said:

Can you explain what you mean? Should I be ashamed of being from Alabama politically because Trump doesn't like Sessions?

The fact that a Republican apparently cannot run with of hope of winning without sucking up to Trump - as evidenced by Jeff Sessions - even as Trump humiliates him:

"The former Alabama senator cannot afford to be seen by conservatives in his state as at odds with the president, so Sessions said he has “enormous appreciation” for Trump and affirmed that he will vote for him."

Like it or not, as much as one can love Alabama for it's physical beauty, there will always be a political stigma associated with it.  It used to be it's civil rights history and racism.  Now it's being a solid "Trump state".  (They are likely related.)

Edited by homersapien

Sessions was ethically obligated to recuse. Trump slams that choice, once again embraces the dishonest, corrupt Flynn. 

• Like 1

I have WAY more respect for Jeff Sessions than I do Richard Shelby, the other long-time AL senator. I admire Sessions for being willing to say what he believes. Richard Shelby is like a ghost. You never see him or hear him but he keeps getting re-elected in a landslide.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grumps said:

Well, he did try. Didn't make any sense but he tried.

54 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I have WAY more respect for Jeff Sessions than I do Richard Shelby, the other long-time AL senator. I admire Sessions for being willing to say what he believes. Richard Shelby is like a ghost. You never see him or hear him but he keeps getting re-elected in a landslide.

I've been in Shelby's WDC office on several occasions, on business. Shelby has real power. He's seldom heard from in public, but if you want something done or not done, Shelby's stamp of approval is pretty much a necessity. Not saying that's good or bad but it is a political reality in Alabama and to a great extent, around the country.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well, he did try. Didn't make any sense but he tried.

It didn't make sense to you because you are shameless. 

• Like 1

I think Sessions is a dickless coward. I am voting for Sessions in this runoff because I want to see trump reverse gears and start pandering to him. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think Sessions is a dickless coward. I am voting for Sessions in this runoff because I want to see trump reverse gears and start pandering to him. 

I can see not liking Sessions, but I don't think he is a coward. A coward would have done Trump's bidding instead of recusing himself. Certainly, Sessions is now emphasizing his prior support of Trump even though Trump doesn't like him.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can vote in the republican runoff if you voted in the primary on the democratic ticket?

On 5/10/2020 at 10:13 AM, Mikey said:

I've been in Shelby's WDC office on several occasions, on business. Shelby has real power. He's seldom heard from in public, but if you want something done or not done, Shelby's stamp of approval is pretty much a necessity. Not saying that's good or bad but it is a political reality in Alabama and to a great extent, around the country.

I completely agree that Shelby is VERY powerful. That much power without much communication at all makes him dangerous, in my opinion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I can see not liking Sessions, but I don't think he is a coward. A coward would have done Trump's bidding instead of recusing himself. Certainly, Sessions is now emphasizing his prior support of Trump even though Trump doesn't like him.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can vote in the republican runoff if you voted in the primary on the democratic ticket?

He’s a coward now because he won’t stand up to trump. He did the only thing he could do in recusing himself and then let trump bully , insult  ( along with all southerners)and sabotage him while still kissing his ass. 

In Alabama you can’t cross over in a run off. I voted on a republican ticket in the primary. I usually do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

You prefer Sessions then? Because Jones is dead meat. In Moore, Jones has already faced one of the few people in Alabama that he could defeat.

Not to turn this into a sports forum, but you do realize that the best offer he got from Bammer was to walk on as a tight end. Al least we offered him a scholarship. I don't know of any other SEC school that offered Rivers as a QB. Tuberville missed on him, but so did virtually everybody else. Even the NCS coach at the time said "We expected to give him a shot at QB and then, after he flopped, move him to TE. Nobody was more surprised than we were when he developed like he did." No, I don't have a link for that, it's been several years since I saw that for the fourth or fifth time.

Edited by Mikey

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Neither here nor there...but around the corner from our house is a home with a Tubs for Senate sign in their yard....along with a pretty big Bama banner.  ????  Maybe some can compartmentalize...but I've not met TOO many...

Oh, wait.  You might think there is a correlation...I just think it's funny!

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Neither here nor there...but around the corner from our house is a home with a Tubs for Senate sign in their yard....along with a pretty big Bama banner.  ????  Maybe some can compartmentalize...but I've not met TOO many...

Oh, wait.  You might think there is a correlation...I just think it's funny!

I’m sure it’s causing some cognitive dissonance for Bammers who take their cues from Trump.

I never cared for Sessions, but he was the first Senator to embrace Trump— that was yuuge! Loyalty only goes one way with Donald.

On 5/11/2020 at 6:44 PM, TexasTiger said:

I’m sure it’s causing some cognitive dissonance for Bammers who take their cues from Trump.

I never cared for Sessions, but he was the first Senator to embrace Trump— that was yuuge! Loyalty only goes one way with Donald.

I can deal with either one of them as our senator. I'll be voting for Tuberville in the primary, then for whichever one of them wins the Pubbie primary in November.

• Haha 1