Social distancing arrests target people of color

Auburn85

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely falls under 1A no matter who's doing the "hanging" and who's getting "hanged", but "legal" or "illegal" only occasionally line up with "right" or "wrong" IMO.

I respect and appreciate your perspective. Even a hard if/then statement allows for an if. That alone makes you more open-minded than many. 

If you met me in person you would find I'm very open minded.

I just feel that in this day and age everyone should be able to do the same stuff (legal stuff of course) without getting accused, messed with, etc. Now should we forget history..absolutely not. It is still important to know the dangers/crimes/horrors that went with some actions in our history and how that impacted people/culture of many.

Fortunately my gf is the Hispanic version of me lol. Lol, her younger brother made a comment once about my dancing (Ok, so I do fit the white stereotype though in all fairness about dancing) and he said "I should appropriate someone's culture and learn to dance". GF response immediately was "not nice, now don't bitch when he asks you how your fat ass got across the river without drowning". Then she told him not to drop jokes on others that he wasn't prepared to have dropped on him cause to do so would not be equal.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

You don't deserve this, because you know good and well he went on apology tours. But, I've got a little time so here are just two of countless articles on the subject of Obama kow-towing to the hash-hish smokers and woman abusers of the Middle East.

https://www.heritage.org/europe/report/barack-obamas-top-10-apologies-how-the-president-has-humiliated-superpower

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124044156269345357

"Hash-hish smokers"?   :laugh:

Well, what did you expect from such an uppity nig***?

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

"Hash-hish smokers"?   :laugh:

I could have called them worse, but I decided to be nice.

8 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

If you met me in person you would find I'm very open minded.

I just feel that in this day and age everyone should be able to do the same stuff (legal stuff of course) without getting accused, messed with, etc. Now should we forget history..absolutely not. It is still important to know the dangers/crimes/horrors that went with some actions in our history and how that impacted people/culture of many.

Fortunately my gf is the Hispanic version of me lol. Lol, her younger brother made a comment once about my dancing (Ok, so I do fit the white stereotype though in all fairness about dancing) and he said "I should appropriate someone's culture and learn to dance". GF response immediately was "not nice, now don't bitch when he asks you how your fat ass got across the river without drowning". Then she told him not to drop jokes on others that he wasn't prepared to have dropped on him cause to do so would not be equal.

I find myself at least trying harder to listen more and talk less. Not going well so far, but fight on I must. 

I have an Indian friend who has lived in the US since he was a boy and had graduated from Georgia Tech, and then suddenly had a major issue come up regarding his immigration/visa status because of some form his dad didn't fill out when they first moved here. Or something like that. He's socially very liberal and so is his wife (ethnically Indian, 100% American). But he actually appreciate's Trump's views on immigration and considered voting for him because his mindset is, "I had to jump through all these hoops, why can't they?" (Nevermind that he came from India and not Mexico, and his is one of the wealthiest families in the town where he was born.) He even gets mad when people cut over at the last minute to exit the interstate. "I've spent hours upon hours standing in lines just so I can keep living here. I have no patience for people who can't wait their turn." Super aggressive driver, too. 

Doesn't exactly correlate with your story but it does caution somebody like me from assuming I know what's appropriate or offensive for who, and that fairness can be measured in different ways. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I find myself at least trying harder to listen more and talk less. Not going well so far, but fight on I must. 

I have an Indian friend who has lived in the US since he was a boy and had graduated from Georgia Tech, and then suddenly had a major issue come up regarding his immigration/visa status because of some form his dad didn't fill out when they first moved here. Or something like that. He's socially very liberal and so is his wife (ethnically Indian, 100% American). But he actually appreciate's Trump's views on immigration and considered voting for him because his mindset is, "I had to jump through all these hoops, why can't they?" (Nevermind that he came from India and not Mexico, and his is one of the wealthiest families in the town where he was born.) He even gets mad when people cut over at the last minute to exit the interstate. "I've spent hours upon hours standing in lines just so I can keep living here. I have no patience for people who can't wait their turn." Super aggressive driver, too. 

Doesn't exactly correlate with your story but it does caution somebody like me from assuming I know what's appropriate or offensive for who, and that fairness can be measured in different ways. 

Doesn't surprise me. My GF's family is pure Texan and all natural citizens, but man you will find many Hispanics that are natural or that legally immigrated that are hard line on immigration. One of her good friends has the same view as your Indian friend, he went though the motions. Dude is as Patriotic and Texas as it gets. Big ass Texas version of the F150 with Texas/American flag stickers lol and silver Longhorn attachment, snake skin boots, big buckle, George Strait, and lives for Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic. Also he is hardcore Catholic (like many Hispanics) and that doesn't line up with the left very well.

I agree with you it can be hard to tell. Why I try and just judge a person on their character, leave some lead way for some imperfections, and hope they do the same with me.

1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Doesn't surprise me. My GF's family is pure Texan and all natural citizens, but man you will find many Hispanics that are natural or that legally immigrated that are hard line on immigration. One of her good friends has the same view as your Indian friend, he went though the motions. Dude is as Patriotic and Texas as it gets. Big ass Texas version of the F150 with Texas/American flag stickers lol and silver Longhorn attachment, snake skin boots, big buckle, George Strait, and lives for Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic. Also he is hardcore Catholic (like many Hispanics) and that doesn't line up with the left very well.

I agree with you it can be hard to tell. Why I try and just judge a person on their character, leave some lead way for some imperfections, and hope they do the same with me.

@AuburnNTexas- maybe @bigbird, too- has shared a lot of very similar tidbits, too.

I'm embarrassed at how recently their strong Catholic faith- and all that entails- registered with me. (Not a negative comment, on Hispanics or Catholics or conservatives, at all.)

Archived