Finding closure on Jalen Green

As many of you know, I wanted Jalen. I wanted Jalen Green to Auburn more than I’ve wanted any recruit to come to Auburn since Byron Cowart on signing day. 

When it began to be leaked that Jalen was probably signing with the G-League, I, as a human, was not saddened or disappointed. I did some work, went to the bathroom, got a Powerade from the vending machine, spoke with Miss Lisa about purchasing a new part for a project, and went back to my desk. 

The Auburn fan part of me at his desk in my mind with highlights of the Elite Eight win over UK playing on a TV above an orange and blue desk wearing a Chuma Okeke jersey and with 15 shakers around his desk... that guy put his head down and sobbed. 

I say this to say, no this did not effect me as a game like this should not. Speaking specifically as a fan, however, that was tough. I saw Jalen and Cooper being the greatest backcourt to ever play at Auburn. I saw incredible athleticism taking place. I saw ESPN at Auburn Arena every weekend, I saw scouts all over the arena, I saw the crowd going absolutely berzerk for each lob thrown by Cooper to Green, and for a while, I thought we had it in the bag. I thought Jalen was AU bound. 

Then the Corey Evans article came out, and my vision took a huge hit. I didn’t understand why he said Jalen was still a Memphis lean as everyone else seemed to have Green to Auburn easy. Slowly, over the next few weeks, that confidence I had in all that happening, turned into optimistic hope, which turned into fleeting hope, which became desperation, which finally became extreme disappointment. It was certainly a n extra push to the knife in my AU fan’s chest when Green said it would’ve been Memphis had he gone to college. 

I was so excited at the prospect of that happening. I thought “a backcourt of Cooper and Green would change the game for Auburn. I can’t wait to see something I’ve never seen before with those two on the floor together.” 

Here is the thing I realized though:  the incredible displays of athleticism, the hunger to win, the berzerkness of the fans, the expectation to win, the barrage of talent and the ESPN trips to Auburn Arena... I don’t need that to start happening now... it’s already been happening. 

Auburn has made 3 straight NCAA Tournaments. Auburn has won back to back SEC Championships. Auburn has been to a final four. Auburn has not only played with, but has stayed blue bloods. Auburn played in Maui and competed. Auburn has beaten Kentucky at least once per season 4 out of the last 5 years.  Auburn Arena has been featured on prime time ESPN coverage, and hosted College Gameday this season. Auburn has had 5 star athletes on its team. The Auburn Arena crowd is known as one of the best and loudest in the country. The Tigers have a better home record than any team in the SEC over the course of the last 3 seasons. 

What helped me get over Jalen?

Auburn doesn’t need Jalen Green to save the program with his commitment. Auburn is already a contender. They already have everything they would have if Green showed up to play for Auburn. While he makes Auburn a legitimate threat to win a national title, Bruce has proven he can win with his guys. 

No bad blood for Jalen, as I wish him all the best in his career, and I’m looking forward to watching him play in the NBA.  

I am happy with the state of the Auburn Basketball program, and Jalen Green simply would have been a great addition to a program already on fire. 

Very well articulated.  And you are spot on.

I see talented players  attracting more talented players.  That is an element Auburn kinda misses not having Green to go with Cooper and this class.  Green would have taken our best class to even higher heights, recruiting wise.

Maybe we can land two cornerstones or two one and dones next year.  (This is not meant to overlook JT Thor or anyone, just talking about two top 20 players).

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

Maybe we can land two cornerstones or two one and dones next year.  (This is not meant to overlook JT Thor or anyone, just talking about two top 20 players).

Next year? Unless someone leaves the program, we aren't going to have room for any more players next year. We have two rising juniors, no rising seniors. Or am I missing something?

38 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Next year? Unless someone leaves the program, we aren't going to have room for any more players next year. We have two rising juniors, no rising seniors. Or am I missing something?

You're not missing anything other than the reality that nearly every year has some unplanned attrition. In fact, it's supposedly trending that a 2nd spot will open up on the roster for this class should Bruce decide to use it to land someone.

I guess I was less burnt bc I invested so much into some our 5 star croots earlier in the cycle. It still hurt a lil bit though, no doubt 

Made it better it was GLeague and not another college, and it also made the Greg Brown crootment completely irrelevant, which I liked too. 

It really never bothered me because even though I would love to have the most talented players available I know Bruce can develop guys who aren’t as highly rated into good quality college basketball players.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know Bruce can develop guys who aren’t as highly rated into good quality college basketball players

And we get to enjoy them for more than just a year.

to be honest, I am still disappointed greatly we did not land Walker Kessler, more than Brown or Green b/c he was in our backyard and went to a team we had just eliminated months prior.

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

to be honest, I am still disappointed greatly we did not land Walker Kessler, more than Brown or Green b/c he was in our backyard and went to a team we had just eliminated months prior.

Agreed on this one. He was such a great fit for our system as well. He could have been putting up 10 3s a game at AU. Good luck getting that freedom at NC

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

His parents were disappointed too.

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Agreed on this one. He was such a great fit for our system as well. He could have been putting up 10 3s a game at AU. Good luck getting that freedom at NC

He wanted to be a four and didn’t think he could do it for Auburn. He thought he would be a five here.Definitely would’ve loved to seen him on the floor with Cooper and Thor.

is there another super highly skilled prospect in the southeast that Auburn is targeting for the next cycle?   Kuminga is in Virginia?  

33 minutes ago, Beaker said:

is there another super highly skilled prospect in the southeast that Auburn is targeting for the next cycle?   Kuminga is in Virginia?  

@Beaker Are you asking about This class, 2020 since there are still 1 to 2 spots left?  Or the next class, 2021? And Kuminga played in New Jersey although he is from The Congo.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

You're not missing anything other than the reality that nearly every year has some unplanned attrition. In fact, it's supposedly trending that a 2nd spot will open up on the roster for this class should Bruce decide to use it to land someone.

I knew about the possibility of opening a second spot, but the assertion seemed to be that we were definitely going to have two spots open for next year.

22 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I knew about the possibility of opening a second spot, but the assertion seemed to be that we were definitely going to have two spots open for next year.

Likely was not an assertion. Beaker posts kind of tongue-in-cheek quite a bit.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Beaker Are you asking about This class, 2020 since there are still 1 to 2 spots left?  Or the next class, 2021? And Kuminga played in New Jersey although he is from The Congo.

Jersey?  How does anyone end up in Jersey from The Congo?   Wow...   Not slighting Jersey, but seems weird to me.  Do they have real biscuits up there?  I mean if you are going to travel that far, biscuits with honey and fried chicken or maybe BBQ seems  important.  

Sorry, less I digress.   I was referring to the next class of 2021 for maybe another highly talented prospect like Kessler and or Cooper.  

Thanks, I will hang up and listen.  

On 5/13/2020 at 10:23 AM, Beaker said:

Shoot, Kessler is a legacy to a former UGA athlete. He is also from the state of Georgia. Be disappointed; but IMO, it should hurt UGA and Tech more that he didn't stay in state. Also, we recruit the heck out of GA in Basketball. All that should upset the Dawgs. I like that a lot. The fact that you are calling GA our backyard is great! UGA can't call GA their backyard.

27 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Be disappointed; but IMO, it should hurt UGA and Tech more that he didn't stay in state.

UGA maybe because he is legacy over there but not tech. In state schools usually don’t mean as much in basketball recruiting as it does football recruiting. Also UGA was never really a factor even though he was a Georgia legacy. We had a lead at one point and probably a sizable lead. We definitely are the team that  should be most disappointed not landing Kessler.

Archived