Play the season without fans at the stadium

doc4aday

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2020 at 11:06 AM, Proud Tiger said:

So no need to wear a mask in public if you practice self distancing

And what about if the other person passing you doesn’t  . Thanks but I won’t put myself at the mercy of hoping everyone has some sense. Most people that don’t wear mask are afraid that it will make them look cowardly. The fact that a person  feel that way proves it though. It’s like wearing seat belt or using condoms or taking flu shots. Being safe is the “smart thing to do” I will also advise you to take your normal flu shot this year because come November you probably won’t want to be making a run to the hospital. One last thing. I have Learned in life that conspiracy Theories are told by folks that are not to smart So they try to convince other folks that it’s the other 95 percent that are all in on the hoax. I don’t think 8 billion people on the planet earth all got hoodwinked about a hoax virus. Be safe, War Eagle . And thank you Mr Greene for coming to Auburn . You make us proud. 

On 5/24/2020 at 12:04 AM, Mikey said:

What studies I've seen indicate that 1/2 of 1 % of those infected die, and half of those have been in nursing homes.  We are now knowledgeable about the nursing home issue, so maybe 1/4 of 1% of those infected in the future will die and most of them have underlying health issues. So, at the outside we might be looking at 625,000 deaths due primarily to the Wuhan Virus. Not a good thing, but that's a far cry from 7.5 million.

We have had 1500000 cases and over 100000 dead . I’m not sure where you got the numbers but that’s 6% . There are more cases than shown and there are more deaths than shown. My comment was that you n order to get herd immunity it would take 70+% to get there that would mean 270 Americans at 6% that’s 16 million people even if we half it it’s still 8 million people .  I understand folks not liking to being unconvinced but at what point does your inconvenience override my right to live? 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We have had 1500000 cases and over 100000 dead . I’m not sure where you got the numbers but that’s 6% . There are more cases than shown and there are more deaths than shown. My comment was that you n order to get herd immunity it would take 70+% to get there that would mean 270 Americans at 6% that’s 16 million people even if we half it it’s still 8 million people .  I understand folks not liking to being unconvinced but at what point does your inconvenience override my right to live? 

We've had a lot more cases than that. Most people that catch this virus are asymptomatic and thus never get discovered and counted. Valid research suggests about 1/2 of 1% deaths and roughly half of those are in nursing homes. 6% deaths is so far out from reality that it's not even worthy of consideration. You are taking figures seen on your TV and trying to extrapolate that into a death percentage. That's not a method any researcher would use.

12 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We have had 1500000 cases and over 100000 dead . I’m not sure where you got the numbers but that’s 6% .

Here's a start: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v2

From the report: "...14,000-35,000 using unweighted prevalence) people were infected in Santa Clara County by early April, many more than the approximately 1,000 confirmed cases at the time of the survey. Conclusions: The estimated population prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in Santa Clara County implies that the infection may be much more widespread than indicated by the number of confirmed cases. More studies are needed to improve precision of....."

Yes, this study has yet to be peer reviewed and duplicated, but there's the source for my numbers.

Too many people I see wearing masks are constantly fiddling with them and taking them off and on. Unless you clean your mask or replace it constantly while you’re in public it probably does more harm than good in these people. The masks are most helpful in keeping the sick from passing the virus or to protect people around a sick person in close proximity. Everyone else is getting very little protection with them because they don’t use them properly. Also, I think a few of the mask wearers are just virtue signaling and hoping they can shame someone who isn’t wearing one.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

The masks are most helpful in keeping the sick from passing the virus

Correct. And many people who are contagious don't know that they are contagious. Which is why almost all of us should be wearing a mask in public. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Correct. And many people who are contagious don't know that they are contagious. Which is why almost all of us should be wearing a mask in public. 

My point is that most people I see wearing a mask are always messing with them and if you get the droplets on your mask and are constantly touching it, and rewearing it after taking it off, you’re chances are probably no better than a non-wearer, or worse. Social distancing and hand sanitizer are the best way to protect yourself and a masks give people a false sense of security. You can believe what you want but I don’t see the benefits that some are saying. If fact there are some experts saying exactly what I believe to be true.

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

My point is that most people I see wearing a mask are always messing with them and if you get the droplets on your mask and are constantly touching it, and rewearing it after taking it off, you’re chances are probably no better than a non-wearer, or worse. Social distancing and hand sanitizer are the best way to protect yourself and a masks give people a false sense of security. You can believe what you want but I don’t see the benefits that some are saying. If fact there are some experts saying exactly what I believe to be true.

"You contend that the sky is blue, but my point is that water is wet."

Congrats on being completely preoccupied with how you can protect yourself.

If you carry the virus, which there's a decent chance you do and don't even know it, then the best way to prevent spreading it to others is to wear a mask. Therefore, most of us should be wearing a mask in public. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"You contend that the sky is blue, but my point is that water is wet."

Congrats on being completely preoccupied with how you can protect yourself.

If you carry the virus, which there's a decent chance you do and don't even know it,
then the best way to prevent spreading it to others is to wear a mask. Therefore, most of us should be wearing a mask in public. 

And from May 21, the New England Journal of Med....by all means, let's all wear talismans.  Play the games.

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance ofcatching Covid-19 from a passinginteraction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals.

Again, social distancing and washing your hands. If I’m social distancing then I can’t spread the virus. If others are worried about me being asymtomatic (sp) then social distancing works for both of us. Not my opinion but New England Journal of Medicine.

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

And from May 21, the New England Journal of Med....by all means, let's all wear talismans.  Play the games.

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance ofcatching Covid-19 from a passinginteraction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals.

Jesus, dude. Why do you keep telling me that wearing a mask doesn't protect you from getting an infection? Especially right after I (even further) clarified that's not an argument I'm trying to make? You're being obtuse, obnoxious, or both.

I'm glad that you're 100% certain that you can remain in public for extended periods of time without any sustained encounters inside of six feet. I'm not as confident for myself or my family. 

On 5/29/2020 at 1:09 PM, abw0004 said:

So today I purchased my season tickets and season parking pass for the 2020 season.  I did it with the understanding that if there was no season or it was cut short I would be refunded.  I did this for two reasons:  #1  I would not lose my seats for 2021.  #2  If it is deemed safe I will go.  I will not go if the medical professionals say it is too risky.

Ditto here.

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

OR self distancing!! No need to do both.

And now we see nightly that thugs can wear masks while looting stores so they can't be identified in videos. I would hate to be a bank teller these days.

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jesus, dude. Why do you keep telling me that wearing a mask doesn't protect you from getting an infection? Especially right after I (even further) clarified that's not an argument I'm trying to make? You're being obtuse, obnoxious, or both.

I'm glad that you're 100% certain that you can remain in public for extended periods of time without any sustained encounters inside of six feet. I'm not as confident for myself or my family. 

No, I understand exactly what you’re saying but there’s no way everyone is going to wear a face mask, and then when so many wear them incorrectly they may increase their odds of getting it. There are also many who get a false sense of security and therefore it negates the good it may do by not social distancing or hand washing. In a utopian world where everyone does the right thing it would be different. You do you and what’s best for your family and I respect that. I haven’t been within six feet of another person for more than a minute or two in 2-3 months, except for household members. Being close enough to catch it from someone for 10-30 minutes is a long time during a pandemic.

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

No, I understand exactly what you’re saying but there’s no way everyone is going to wear a face mask

Okay, so how does that mean you or I shouldn't wear a mask? If you or I are wearing a mask properly, then we are lowering the chances of others getting infected.

and then when so many wear them incorrectly they may increase their odds of getting it.

Okay, so how does that mean you or I shouldn't wear a mask? How does that justify spreading anti-mask propaganda instead of instructions for proper usage?

There are also many who get a false sense of security and therefore it negates the good it may do by not social distancing or hand washing.

Okay, so how does that mean your or I shouldn't wear a mask? How does that justify spreading anti-mask propaganda instead of what you're posting now, which is that masks should be worn in addition to other protective measures?

In a utopian world where everyone does the right thing it would be different.

Okay, so how does that mean you or I shouldn't wear a mask?

You do you and what’s best for your family and I respect that. I haven’t been within six feet of another person for more than a minute or two in 2-3 months, except for household members. Being close enough to catch it from someone for 10-30 minutes is a long time during a pandemic.

Good. I hope you wear a mask when you're in public, too.

Also, since you bring up a good point about so many people somehow remaining ignorant to the incredibly simple safety instructions- wear a mask, 6 feet, wash your hands, don't lick doorknobs- I am not advocating for wearing a mask at the park or beach or whatever. Wear one when you are inside a public building or in crowded areas. Suuuuuper easy to be compliant and live a normal life. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

don't lick doorknobs

Um, the CDC never mentioned this.  Think I may be in trouble.

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, so how does that mean you or I shouldn't wear a mask? If you or I are wearing a mask properly, then we are lowering the chances of others getting infected.

Okay, so how does that mean you or I shouldn't wear a mask? How does that justify spreading anti-mask propaganda instead of instructions for proper usage?

Okay, so how does that mean your or I shouldn't wear a mask? How does that justify spreading anti-mask propaganda instead of what you're posting now, which is that masks should be worn in addition to other protective measures?

Okay, so how does that mean you or I shouldn't wear a mask?

Good. I hope you wear a mask when you're in public, too.

Also, since you bring up a good point about so many people somehow remaining ignorant to the incredibly simple safety instructions- wear a mask, 6 feet, wash your hands, don't lick doorknobs- I am not advocating for wearing a mask at the park or beach or whatever. Wear one when you are inside a public building or in crowded areas. Suuuuuper easy to be compliant and live a normal life. 

Never said people shouldn’t wear a mask or that it didn’t keep people with the virus from spreading it. All I did was point out the negative side of some people who wear them incorrectly and I’m not sure where the propaganda part came from when I quoted a well respected medical journal. Don’t know why you’re attacking me for having a viewpoint on this. I’m  moving on to other topics.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Um, the CDC never mentioned this.  Think I may be in trouble.

Hate to break it to you, Brad but that wasn't a doorknob...

Nah, each side gets one fan!

They can sit in the upper deck  and And they will have to represent!!!!

This thread is about to make me.............................................................................SOB give me a frickin drink

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

This thread is about to make me.............................................................................SOB give me a frickin drink

tenor.gif

Archived