Play the season without fans at the stadium

doc4aday

26 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

But CNN has pooh poohed such things earlier. They have zero credibility for me and their poor ratings reflect it.

They didn't pooh pooh. The reported the news. That's what they did here. But hey, since it's CNN I suggest you ignore and reject the good news.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

What changed is that medical science did what science does. It learned. Think back to when science rejected the germ theory of disease. Hell, just go back to the 1940's and early 1950's when science rejected the idea of plate tectonics. Science learns. It corrects its mistakes. The surgeon general and others operate on best information. As knowledge changes and best information changes. advice changes. This ain't hard...

This is the Peacock Spider..cute eh? 

D3506874-D282-4FD1-9123-F9991C588769.png

Here is what my clients told me that are the major power players within Auburn (one of the few times I can give info *with their permission*):

As of right now Auburn is in a holding pattern.  They are waiting to see how professional baseball and basketball do later this month.  Auburn has gone ahead and asked the families that own boxes to go ahead and act as if they will be in their boxes and most season ticket holders to pay (which this makes sense as I have already paid for my tickets this season).  It is not helping that some schools like UGA are not requiring facemasks on campus for even Fall classes.

My personal opinion is all colleges are going to give it a go but I would be surprised if we finish the season.  I would expect refunds to season ticket-holders for games where attendance is not allowed or the game cancelled entirely.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:09 PM, nixtosanders94 said:

Clearly you are an avid mask guy so I’m not trying to argue the point with you but rather pointing out the various opinions we’ve seen.  Coronaviruses aren’t new.  This one is different but is still a coronavirus so if masks were so ineffective three months ago I still question what changed so dramatically?  Politics perhaps? I don’t take anything said by anyone at face value(no pun intended).  On top of that, I work in public everyday in places where they are requiring masks.  All I see all day is people pulling them down, scratching their nose, touching their mouths, breathing in fresh air and exhaling then putting the mask back on only to see them repeat this ten minutes later...I see it ALL day long.  So what good is that doing?  And if social distancing works so well, then why the need for masks? And if masks work so well then why the need for social distancing?  This virus isn’t going to be stopped by a bunch of cheap cloth masks that everyone continually pulls down and touches and messes with and then touches other objects.  

80,000 people died of the flu just three years ago...did we not care about people in 2017? Why no masks? Why no huge heartfelt push to save grandma and grandpa by wearing masks in 2017 to save them from flu? Why the big change?  80,000 deaths is acceptable and 200,000 just crosses the line? Is that it? We’re playing numbers? I say if this is all about keeping everyone safe all the time then we better start wearing masks every flu season.  I mean, every life matters right?  And don’t give me the “we have a flu vaccine” argument since 80,000 people still died even with a vaccine.  Covid deaths are down 90% from a peak in March so when do we decide this ends?  

I didn’t want to get into a back and forth on this and I respect your enthusiasm for mask wearing but I feel differently and luckily, for now, I have that right. And FYI I wear a mask everyday out of respect for others even if I don’t fully believe its helping anything.

Yes I've seen people being lackadaisical with mask wearing and some people not wearing them at all.  I try to wear a mask in public but there have been times when I realized I left it in my other car.  I think overall the mask helps.  Even if it is just a reminder to keep your distance and to use the hand sanitizer more often.  After missing out on March Madness, the baseball season, and now potentially the college football season, plus the huge hit to jobs and the economy, Is it too much to ask people to wear a mask and practice some distancing in the hopes that this doesn't continue on into next year?

Also regarding 2017 and the flu...My work had me doing a lot of travel the past 5-7 years and I seemed to constantly go from one cold to the next.  The flu was a regular event for me even though I got the flu shot every year.  I assumed I was just getting old and needed to suffer through it.  But that all stopped with this COVID stuff happening.  This is the best I have felt in years.  So yeah....after this COVID stuff is over, I will probably continue to practice mask wearing , hand sanitizing, etc.  Now don't get me wrong....I am not condoning shutting down businesses.  I'm just saying that we can go about our normal business but we just have to be more aware  of  daily practices which help prevent the spread of viruses and diseases. 

There should be another thread somewhere that lists all the good things that have come out of this COVID-19 that we hope to keep practicing:  Such as more outdoor dining, only one person to a golf cart, preventing overcrowding in stores and spreading out the checkout lines, etc.

I actually saw a good idea last night that will never happen.  Limit seating to students only and spread them out in the stadium.  They'll already be on campus, so you're limiting extra exposure to the public.  Ultimately it's supposed to be an activity for the student population anyway, so just give them the stadium for a season.  We can suck it up and watch from home.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually saw a good idea last night that will never happen.  Limit seating to students only and spread them out in the stadium.  They'll already be on campus, so you're limiting extra exposure to the public.  Ultimately it's supposed to be an activity for the student population anyway, so just give them the stadium for a season.  We can suck it up and watch from home.

Maybe even make the tickets free or old school cheap. Even if all 28,000 students attended, they could still spread out pretty well. 

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No problem with that idea. Do you ban on campus tailgating or allow it with restrictions? See how universities can control what happens inside an arena but it is problematic to control what happens outside of the stadiums. 

22 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No problem with that idea. Do you ban on campus tailgating or allow it with restrictions? See how universities can control what happens inside an arena but it is problematic to control what happens outside of the stadiums. 

I think you'd have to ban tailgating.  Auburn's a public campus, so keeping people completely off would be extremely hard.  But it's a way to at least have some semblance of normalcy by having people at the game.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe even make the tickets free

You loss the leading brass with that idea as soon as you said free lol. That would be nice though. I have a feeling if they do let fans in the prices actually will hike up since it will be a limited amount and waivers will have to be signed 

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

You loss the leading brass with that idea as soon as you said free lol. That would be nice though. I have a feeling if they do let fans in the prices actually will hike up since it will be a limited amount and waivers will have to be signed 

Maaaaaaan you might be right but that would be a short-sighted, bad faith decision. But you're probably right. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Maaaaaaan you might be right but that would be a short-sighted, bad faith decision. But you're probably right. 

Don't worry,  the games will all be   pay-per view for all non students.  /s

On 7/6/2020 at 4:54 AM, abw0004 said:

Here is what my clients told me that are the major power players within Auburn (one of the few times I can give info *with their permission*):

As of right now Auburn is in a holding pattern.  They are waiting to see how professional baseball and basketball do later this month.  Auburn has gone ahead and asked the families that own boxes to go ahead and act as if they will be in their boxes and most season ticket holders to pay (which this makes sense as I have already paid for my tickets this season).  It is not helping that some schools like UGA are not requiring facemasks on campus for even Fall classes.

My personal opinion is all colleges are going to give it a go but I would be surprised if we finish the season.  I would expect refunds to season ticket-holders for games where attendance is not allowed or the game cancelled entirely.

what about individual tickets

On 7/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

My guess at this point is there is a better than 50 / 50 chance that no college will play football this fall. I also look for pros to cancel as well. If they do play I would say it would be almost assuredly without fans maybe with the exception of the donor suits . They can’t space them because They couldn’t divide up the season ticket holders. Even with a vaccine by January , it will still take months to vaccinate 250 million people just to get us to a safe point. Just the cards we have been dealt. I’m sure my grandparents weren’t thrilled with what they sacrificed during WWII which was much greater than anything we might go through with this. 

too many are banking on a vaccine being available  by jan/march of next year. while I hope one comes along I think the chances are very slim and bring us to the question 'What if no vaccine" do we just say okay we will no longer have any types of entertainment like sports. movies. concerts. etc

3 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

what about individual tickets

I am not sure but I would assume they are not for sale since not all season ticket holders can buy their tickets yet

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I am not sure but I would assume they are not for sale since not all season ticket holders can buy their tickets yet

What season ticket holders can't buy their tickets yet? The deadline was around May 1,

there are too many obstacles I see with possibly pushing CFB back to spring of 2021 like some are lobbying for is ....what exactly does it mean for other spring sports March Madness. Baseball, Softball. etc starting in late Feb/ or early-mid March puts you right in the middle of March Madness does this mean you start CFB in April of 2021 to avoid conflict with March Madness? or do you cancel college basketball all together and go  a second straight year without march madness ouch! talk about a loss in tv revenue! for college athletics

what about College Baseball and College Softball? those sports generally don't wrap up their season until late June.

Starting the season in Feb/March of 2021 would mean any Championships and bowl games would have to wrap up by late may or early June in order to begin preparation for the 2021 fall season or do you simply cancel the 2021 fall season and have a 2021 spring season

13 hours ago, countoff said:

Yes I've seen people being lackadaisical with mask wearing and some people not wearing them at all.  I try to wear a mask in public but there have been times when I realized I left it in my other car.  I think overall the mask helps.  Even if it is just a reminder to keep your distance and to use the hand sanitizer more often.  After missing out on March Madness, the baseball season, and now potentially the college football season, plus the huge hit to jobs and the economy, Is it too much to ask people to wear a mask and practice some distancing in the hopes that this doesn't continue on into next year?

Also regarding 2017 and the flu...My work had me doing a lot of travel the past 5-7 years and I seemed to constantly go from one cold to the next.  The flu was a regular event for me even though I got the flu shot every year.  I assumed I was just getting old and needed to suffer through it.  But that all stopped with this COVID stuff happening.  This is the best I have felt in years.  So yeah....after this COVID stuff is over, I will probably continue to practice mask wearing , hand sanitizing, etc.  Now don't get me wrong....I am not condoning shutting down businesses.  I'm just saying that we can go about our normal business but we just have to be more aware  of  daily practices which help prevent the spread of viruses and diseases. 

There should be another thread somewhere that lists all the good things that have come out of this COVID-19 that we hope to keep practicing:  Such as more outdoor dining, only one person to a golf cart, preventing overcrowding in stores and spreading out the checkout lines, etc.

One major good thing you left out...bammers wearing masks...

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

One major good thing you left out...bammers wearing masks...

One can hardly tell...

Screenshot_20200707-224439~2.png

Today on local TV news, the Alabama high school associations announced they will play fall sports with fans in the stands. Volleyball practice is first up with a mid to late July start, then football practice follows a week later, around the last week of July. I like the decision, we cannot put off our entire culture for the foreseeable future.

9 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

What season ticket holders can't buy their tickets yet? The deadline was around May 1,

If Auburn requires there be open seats between people some people will not get their season tickets.  That means the lower-end donors probably won't get their tickets.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If Auburn requires there be open seats between people some people will not get their season tickets.  That means the lower-end donors probably won't get their tickets.

I assume you mean they will get a refund for their tickets those already bought. It will be interesting in my case since I have four together. Open seats beside everyone id fine but what about people right in front and back of you. And what about the herd massed at the gates?

Archived