Play the season without fans at the stadium

doc4aday

4 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Think the question in Georgia (and any state for that matter) is are the hospitals able to handle the cases? I thought that was the primary reason for the shut down. I do not live in the area so not sure if Georgia is getting people from other states coming over, but where I live, we are next to a state where they never completely shut down and many were crossing over to do things they were not allowed to do in their own state. Neither state has high numbers Or ever came close to having overrun hospitals.  I feel cases will go up. The question is can the health care system handle them?

The most pertinent item I saw concerning this is that one of Atlanta's major hospitals (Northside?) just closed its COVID-19 section due to lack of business. That ward was empty.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Dude, wear a mask. It costs you nothing. While the mask offers you some protection, it’s main feature is that it protects other should you become infected. You yourself just said there is a good chance that if you were, you might not even know it. Not wearing a mask isn’t brave, it’s incredibly selfish. 

Wearing a mask is a pain in the butt. As I said above, if a store's employees are wearing masks, I put one on out of courtesy. If they aren't wearing a mask, I don't either. Workers in most grocery stores are wearing them. Go to an auto parts store, farm supply, hardware or building supply place and there's not a mask to be seen, workers or customers.

Pay per view for college football?

Jez....don't give them any ideas!  It's like when they build a highway and swear up and down that the tolls will stop in 10 years.  If they start making us pay to watch college football once, it will be with us forever.   They are greedy enough as it is.   

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The most pertinent item I saw concerning this is that one of Atlanta's major hospitals (Northside?) just closed its COVID-19 section due to lack of business. That ward was empty.

Great news!  My frustration as of late is the concentration on cases rather Than hospital capability.  Feels like changing the rules in the middle of the game. I, too, am in the older category but feel like I am capable of making good decisions.   

Assuming we don't play all the games and don't make all the revenue we have in the past few years; I wonder if some of these high paid coaches will take pay cuts this season to help out the athletic department.  That could be millions across the NCAA donated back to the schools

47 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Conversation over...Paul says so.

I have been saying this for a couple of weeks now. It’s time. If hospitals start getting overwhelmed dial it back. Otherwise push on . That’s not a political issue. I’m not blaming anyone. No hysteria, no conspiracy. Go strictly on hospital capacity per region. Wash your hands, wear your masks a little longer but get back to normal by September. 

19 hours ago, alexava said:

I have been saying this for a couple of weeks now. It’s time. If hospitals start getting overwhelmed dial it back. Otherwise push on . That’s not a political issue. I’m not blaming anyone. No hysteria, no conspiracy. Go strictly on hospital capacity per region. Wash your hands, wear your masks a little longer but get back to normal by September. 

So what do we do now? dial it back or open up?  .....   https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/montgomery-running-out-of-icu-beds-as-coronavirus-cases-double-in-may.html?utm_source=reddit.com  

Edit add free link... https://www.al.com./news/2020/05/montgomery-running-out-of-icu-beds-as-coronavirus-cases-double-in-may.html?utm_source=reddit.com

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Montgomery can dial it back. And if anyone there wants to get their nails done, they'll have to go all the way to Prattville or Wetumpka or Tallassee. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Montgomery can dial it back. And if anyone there wants to get their nails done, they'll have to go all the way to Prattville or Wetumpka or Tallassee. 

Mid June headline "Prattville , Wetumpka and  Tallassee  have clusters of Covid"   LOL

I believe in the state of Alabama,  cities do not  have he legal authority to shut down businesses or implement isolation orders.  (according to the mayor of Auburn.) 

I am not sure it can be implemented legally by county.     I think the state may have to issue the order.    It will be interesting to see if Montgomery is allowed to open,  and how it effects the rest of the state. 

Any local or state lawyers here that can clear up who has the authority to make the call on a city? 

Quote from Montgomery article.

Mayor Steven Reed said the virus is straining the city’s hospitals.

“I’m concerned about the current status of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Reed said. “We are seeing an increase in the number of people who test positive. Occupancy in our Intensive Care Units has reached a critical point and Montgomery hospital officials are now referring some cases to Birmingham.”

...Beyond the numbers, Thrasher also has concerns about the faces he’s seeing. About 40 percent of his patients have been between the ages of 25 and 40. And although older people are more likely to die from the virus, he said he has lost younger patients, including a couple hairstylists.

...“There is no way for me not to cry when I see and treat folks that I work with and are giving their all to help others,” Thrasher wrote. “Many are on vents. Just intubated a 26-year-old male who will probably die. It is hitting Blacks worse but nobody is safe. We have to have an economic engine, but we have to insist for people to use good sense.”

I hate quoting other boards! . but on mississippi states 247 forum they are saying Fulmer is the only guy not wanting to allow players back on campus June 1

Waiting for the rules committee to release the new penalty. QBs who lick their fingers pre snap. "Illegal Mouth Touching. 15 yard penalty, ejection, and quarantine"

On 5/19/2020 at 2:22 PM, Mikey said:

Wearing a mask is a pain in the butt. As I said above, if a store's employees are wearing masks, I put one on out of courtesy. If they aren't wearing a mask, I don't either. Workers in most grocery stores are wearing them. Go to an auto parts store, farm supply, hardware or building supply place and there's not a mask to be seen, workers or customers.

Do you wear a seat belt?    People said the same thing about seat belts when they first made  seat belt wearing mandatory .   People were complaining wearing a seat belt  might wrinkle their cloths.   

A mask is no different.   

On 5/19/2020 at 2:22 PM, Mikey said:

But you SHOULD be wearing a mask as you are a person considered the most at high risk. This whole thread you have said those who are at the highest risk should isolate themselves from the rest. Yet, you do not do that and you don’t even adhere to basic CDC recommendations. Earlier in this thread you said you would not waive your rights if you need medical attention, but you are willing to just go out knowing you are considered at risk. 

U Texas make a decision.   Still no word on sports.

The University of Texas on Wednesday said it will begin the fall semester as scheduled on Aug. 26, but will continue operations remotely after Thanksgiving for fear of spreading the coronavirus

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200520/ut-students-to-return-for-fall-semester-but-leave-after-thanksgiving?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Austin American-Statesman austin-breaking-news 2020-05-2022:13:58&utm_content=GCOX_AUS&utm_term=052020

So now that we know football will be played this fall (I don’t see anyway this will not occur), the priority shapes to what happens when someone catches the coronavirus. They can’t just completely shut it down , so I wonder what parameters they will have in place. Also, I wonder how often pre-testing will be done? I imagine it will be more so symptom based than anything starting with temps. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

So now that we know football will be played this fall (I don’t see anyway this will not occur), the priority shapes to what happens when someone catches the coronavirus. They can’t just completely shut it down , so I wonder what parameters they will have in place. Also, I wonder how often pre-testing will be done? I imagine it will be more so symptom based than anything starting with temps. 

That is what it all boils down to.   No one wants to start the machine up and have to shut it down again. So it may be an all or nothing ordeal.   

I want to know if the testing will be done "in house"  or independently?   Some schools can not be trusted. 

Speaking of schools that can not be trusted,  Tuscaloosa is getting hit hard by Covid in the last week or so. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

That is what it all boils down to.   No one wants to start the machine up and have to shut it down again. So it may be an all or nothing ordeal.   

I want to know if the testing will be done "in house"  or independently?   Some schools can not be trusted. 

Speaking of schools that can not be trusted,  Tuscaloosa is getting hit hard by Covid in the last week or so. 

Well, I don’t even know if they will even have testing unless there is significant symptoms. Professional sports are being very careful with how they teat since they got torn a new one about it. It’s just going to be interesting to see the response once a player or two gets it. They can’t walk it back now .

2 hours ago, DAG said:

But you SHOULD be wearing a mask as you are a person considered the most at high risk. This whole thread you have said those who are at the highest risk should isolate themselves from the rest. Yet, you do not do that and you don’t even adhere to basic CDC recommendations. Earlier in this thread you said you would not waive your rights if you need medical attention, but you are willing to just go out knowing you are considered at risk. 

If we are waiving our rights to health care bc we don’t do everything right Relative to covid (I do wear a mask so not arguing that), should those who smoke, Drink heavily, are 40 pounds overweight or otherwise don’t follow health guidelines in general, wave their right as well?  

8 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I read this just before I logged in here. Lol. Not good. Not what I expected.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:31 PM, countoff said:

Pay per view for college football?

Jez....don't give them any ideas!  It's like when they build a highway and swear up and down that the tolls will stop in 10 years.  If they start making us pay to watch college football once, it will be with us forever.   They are greedy enough as it is.   

Do you have ESPN?  Then you're paying to watch college football.

Well since everyone is talking COVID, Pat Dye has been diagnosed with it according to Jay Tate and P. Marshall on another board.

IMG_20200520_212236_01.png

Opinions all over the place among the so-called experts. Who to believe. Here is this to make the point:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doctors-raise-alarm-about-health-effects-of-continued-coronavirus-shutdown

And on the other hand there is this:

https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/coronavirus-cluster-slows-construction-at-bryant-denny-stadium.html

Archived