Gogue Says YES.

ToraGirl

Hot off the Plainsman press...

"...Freshman convocation, student organization activities and Pizza and Popsicles with the President will be held, Gogue said. He also shared that Auburn "will have football this fall," but did not note any changes..."

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2020/05/auburn-university-to-reopen-in-fall-says-president-jay-gogue

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Hot off the Plainsman press...

"...Freshman convocation, student organization activities and Pizza and Popsicles with the President will be held, Gogue said. He also shared that Auburn "will have football this fall," but did not note any changes..."

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2020/05/auburn-university-to-reopen-in-fall-says-president-jay-gogue

I don’t know how well he has kept up with our major world leaders but proclamations like this are dangerous. 

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t know how well he has kept up with our major world leaders but proclamations like this are dangerous. 

Like all of the info out there that's true, spun, mixed, redacted, unfolding, fluid, rephrased, debated, and polarizing...I don't know what to think. 😊 Just sharing the "latest subject to change" that's out there. 🦋 

P.S. This is why leadership is painful. 50/50, @bigbird @augolf1716?

I wouldn't read too much into any statement about the fall that isn't accompanied by specific plans about course delivery, student housing, dining, employee and student health, etc. Essentially saying "everything will be normal" is not a plan. Universities still have a little time left to figure out the fall semester. This message is surely just placating people while the details are all worked out before that clock runs out in a few weeks.

10 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Like all of the info out there that's true, spun, mixed, redacted, unfolding, fluid, rephrased, debated, and polarizing...I don't know what to think. 😊 Just sharing the "latest subject to change" that's out there. 🦋 

bird and leadership in the same sentence??????????????? wow

11 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

He is not wrong though. Sports will come back. It is all about money. It has nothing to do with safety or pushing education. People in high places are not going to stand for losing money too much. The can handle watching those of low SES struggle but in terms of the big power brokers? It is not going to happen. You can see it professionally already. 

Up until the day they canceled March Madness i thought there was no way sports would stop in this country. I assumed they would figure it out because there is way too much money involved for them not to. But i was dead wrong. 

I do expect that at some point this summer a plan will be laid out on how college sports can resume. If they are able to complete that plan and if sports actually do return i'll take a wait and see approach. I certainly do not believe anyone who is sure one way or the other. 

I like the positive attitude though 👍

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He is not wrong though. Sports will come back. It is all about money. It has nothing to do with safety or pushing education. People in high places are not going to stand for losing money too much. The can handle watching those of low SES struggle but in terms of the big power brokers? It is not going to happen. You can see it professionally already. 

Mike Gundy said it out loud, verbatim, a month or more ago. Good for him for being honest, I guess. 

It all depends on how well the MLB does when they reopen in July,  personally.  The country will use them as a litmus test.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

bird and leadership in the same sentence??????????????? wow

50/50, I believe...🤫🤣

14 hours ago, DAG said:

The universities planning to re-open will have to relax their own directives regarding students coming back to campus housing and in person classrooms.  The current rules won't let a student on campus if they don't have a clean tuberculosis test. 

Now they have a respiratory virus possibly worse than TB, with no available vaccine or treatment & testing is still limited.  This has to be super difficult from an administrative stand point - you want students/faculty/support staff back in full force and you have to make critical decisions that will affect the health of the entire campus population.

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

The universities planning to re-open will have to relax their own directives regarding students coming back to campus housing and in person classrooms.  The current rules won't let a student on campus if they don't have a clean tuberculosis test. 

Now they have a respiratory virus possibly worse than TB, with no available vaccine or treatment & testing is still limited.  This has to be super difficult from an administrative stand point - you want students/faculty/support staff back in full force and you have to make critical decisions that will affect the health of the entire campus population.

There will have to be a plethora of steps to ensure safety just as you outlined. That why I am so captivated in him exclaiming everything will be back and we will even have football. If we do, it will be a "new" normal type.  To say this, without releasing an idea of what your plans will be ensuring safety is quite a bit short-sighted.

12 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It all depends on how well the MLB does when they reopen in July,  personally.  The country will use them as a litmus test.

What MLB employs as far as techniques go may help collegiate sports, but collegiate sports begin and end on whether students can safely be on campus, and that's the rhetoric I've seen repeated whenever this discussion happens. Seeing as how we'll likely have our second wave in a month and a half, maybe longer, with everything opening back up, that part of the discussion is definitely up in the air 

I know some colleges are making these hollow promises during this period to try to entrance those incoming students who might be on the fence, but I don't think that's the way to operate personally

27 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

And then they hire a professor that won't say War Eagle.

Yeah? So? On a scale of 1-100 in importance, I can't see where this even merits ranking. It's a non-issue.

If the NCAA doesn’t have a season how cool would it be to play an exhibition schedule?  I don’t think you can have fans though which would kill a lot of the mystique of a Ohio State or Texas traveling to Jordan Hare

18 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Yeah? So? On a scale of 1-100 in importance, I can't see where this even merits ranking. It's a non-issue.

I don't think it is whatsoever (and its certainly not like they hired him knowing this ridiculous fall out would occur, or that he even had the stance he did), but it is very self-evident that southern fanbases treat sports alot different than where he came from, and he should've known at least that much. 

Now, I think the responses he got after the initial tweets became very degrading after a while, but once you get hired at a place this large, you lose the option to respond with that same energy. It's unfair, but it's how it works. 

Tl;dr, this shouldn't matter, the initial tweet shouldn't have been posted and people shouldn't have gotten pissed over his stance on it, but all of that happened and he should've not responded

The Southeast and middle America will play football. I believe that. Now what will it look like? TBD

• 2 weeks later...

I still have doubts that this season will get underway. I guess I'll just have to see it to believe it's gonna happen.

Archived