No More “War” Eagle

Zeek

22 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Looks like he opens with "My first controversial tweet...". Is this the start of the whole thing? If so, hes definitely trying to stir the pot.  He could have not said anything on a public format and nobody would have ever known or have any response to it.  He could have gone years at Auburn with out saying it and probably nobody would have even noticed. 

Just the typical social media attention whore. The world is full of them.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Know what I want in a professor? I want one that knows his subject and knows how to teach it. Their opinions on anything else are pretty damned immaterial.

There are too many students who have found this to sound really great in theory...but when your grade is attached to someone's opinion--the someone who holds the power--all bets are off.  Too many needless controversies as it is.  DualThreat said it well...this one never should have been one...starting with Dr. Goldberg. #knowledgeVSwisdom

18 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

There are too many students who have found this to sound really great in theory...but when your grade is attached to someone's opinion--the someone who holds the power--all bets are off.  Too many needless controversies as it is.  DualThreat said it well...this one never should have been one...starting with Dr. Goldberg. #intelligenceVSwisdom

agree, And it seems like this professor intentionally planted HIS flag to let everyone know a little bit about him.

Either that, or there are some college professors who are terrible terrible at trying to make a joke, and it backfires on them...

..but i think he chose to put his stamp on his coming with that tweet...

22 hours ago, Grumps said:

Good info! Thanks!

Is it possible that potential employees first checked out his Twitter account? That might explain it if he had trouble finding a job!

The only people that apparently didn't check his Twitter was Auburn.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:21 PM, Barnacle said:

What's a soy boy?

An effeminate male. Not typically an insult you'll see outside of the right wing. 

On 5/14/2020 at 10:13 AM, Mikey said:

"I'm never going to be able to call myself a War Eagle" That's very good, because we don't call ourselves War Eagles.

"..or say 'Go War Eagles'" That's good, because if you did people would think you are very ignorant.

This yahoo should have educated himself before he posted those remarks. I hope he's better informed on the subjects he teaches students than he is on Auburn sports.

PS: Are we sure this guy is real? He seems too stupid to have graduated from high school, let alone have earned an advanced college degree.

Good point! Needs to be educated on US and World History. Unfortunately without war we would all be speaking German right now, the Jewish race would be eliminated from the earth, the African-American race would also be eliminated or treated like animals as that’s what Hitler and the Nazi‘s claimed they were.

Then we have the radical Muslims that want the entire world living under jihad.  I’m not talking about the peaceloving, good natured Muslims, I’m talking about the millions and millions of radicals!

Again, someone at Auburn may want to bust out a history book and teach this guy a lesson or two.

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Good point! Needs to be educated on US and World History. Unfortunately without war we would all be speaking German right now, the Jewish race would be eliminated from the earth, the African-American race would also be eliminated or treated like animals as that’s what Hitler and the Nazi‘s claimed they were.

Then we have the radical Muslims that want the entire world living under jihad.  I’m not talking about the peaceloving, good natured Muslims, I’m talking about the millions and millions of radicals!

Again, someone at Auburn may want to bust out a history book and teach this guy a lesson or two.

How in the heck can you come to this conclusion?   I mean, you are lecturing about reading a history book and yet you assume that NAZI Germany would take over the world without even giving basic thought that history results from other historical happenings.  So if there were no wars there is no way of knowing how the world would exist in the 20th century.

19 hours ago, auburnphan said:

How in the heck can you come to this conclusion?   I mean, you are lecturing about reading a history book and yet you assume that NAZI Germany would take over the world without even giving basic thought that history results from other historical happenings.  So if there were no wars there is no way of knowing how the world would exist in the 20th century.

You say: “if there were no wars”  There is/are wars, because there are bad people in the world. My example was Adolf Hitler and radical Islamic leaders that do things like walk homosexuals up to 12 and 14 story buildings and then push them off, simply because their homosexual. There are also very evil political parties, (the Nazis were my example) that march people to gas chambers and murder them by the millions.  It is unfortunate but it does take war to set these evil people straight.

Again, if it wasn’t for us (America) getting involved in and winning World War II everything I mentioned above is how we would will be living right now. Or do you believe Hitler and the Nazi’s would’ve gotten the nice guy genes and suddenly started living as loving, understanding leaders?

There of course are other examples: if the Civil War was never fought, African Americans could very well still be slaves. It is unfortunate but it takes wars to correct evil wrongs.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:32 AM, AU-24 said:

the African-American race would also be eliminated

giphy.gif

Context, people. Apparently the long, tough road to a PHD doesn't include a lot of literature classes. It means "look at how and where a word or phrase is used". Things should be read and heard based on where you read or heard them. If someone screams "war", and its at the southern Ohio Al Queda monthly meeting, its a little different than "War Eagle, hey!" at Jordan-Hare.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, AUFriction said:

In academic lingo, the order is adjunct (part time teacher), instructor (full time teacher), assistant professor (pre-tenure researcher/teacher), associate professor (tenure), professor (senior tenured). So he’s been hired to the lowest full time role, which may mean he was having an especially hard time finding a job elsewhere. 

When he should be appreciative for his new employment in his field of expertise, he chooses to use social media to express his opinions and pisses off the Family of his employer?🙃

Every campus has one...or three. 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

When he should be appreciative for his new employment in his field of expertise, he chooses to use social media to express his opinions and pisses off the Family of his employer?🙃

He probably had a higher opinion of Auburn people than to think they'd flip out over something so trivial and inoffensive.

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He probably had a higher opinion of Auburn people than to think they'd flip out over something so trivial and inoffensive.

You could also say, the Auburn people may have expected him to use better judgement than to come out and publicly state his problems with Auburn's traditions. Not very wise for a professor when the better option would have been to keep it to himself.  Thats pretty basic logic.  I dont think he was asked, so why take the time and post a statement like that? What outcome was he hoping for?

2 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

You could also say, the Auburn people may have expected him to use better judgement than to come out and publicly state his problems with Auburn's traditions. Not very wise for a professor when the better option would have been to keep it to himself.  Thats pretty basic logic.  I dont think he was asked, so why take the time and post a statement like that? What outcome was he hoping for?

I don't agree that that is basic logic. A fundamental flaw in human behavior, perhaps. But not logic. 

I'm not certain what outcome he was hoping for. Controversy and attention are certainly two possibilities. But just wanting people to challenge their own assumptions and pause a moment to think about the words they use is another. That's not an insult or an attack. Especially since he didn't actually suggest that a single other person abstain from saying War Eagle. 

Nobody can control what the man said or what his motivations were. Auburn fans can only control their own reaction. So far, many simply haven't.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't agree that that is basic logic. A fundamental flaw in human behavior, perhaps. But not logic. 

I'm not certain what outcome he was hoping for. Controversy and attention are certainly two possibilities. But just wanting people to challenge their own assumptions and pause a moment to think about the words they use is another. That's not an insult or an attack. Especially since he didn't actually suggest that a single other person abstain from saying War Eagle. 

Nobody can control what the man said or what his motivations were. Auburn fans can only control their own reaction. So far, many simply haven't.

His opening tweet started with "My first controversial tweet" then he even "apologizes" at the end. To me, thats an obvious chip hes putting on his shoulder. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of others see it that way to.  

1 minute ago, SaturdayGT said:

His opening tweet started with "My first controversial tweet" then he even "apologizes" at the end. To me, thats an obvious chip hes putting on his shoulder. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of others see it that way to.  

Oh, a lot of people definitely see it that way. And they/you could be right!

But I personally don't think anyone seriously intending to cause controversy explicitly announces their intentions immediately before proceeding. To me, it seems obvious that the guy was being a bit silly and sarcastic about the "controversy". I could be wrong.

21 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Good points. The casual observer could ascertain that he might have...

1. Wanted to be funny. OR

2. Wanted to make waves. OR

3. Wanted to state his opinion, right, perspective, yada.

OR all three...or none of the above.

HOWEVER, teachers of all ages know the sacrifice of keeping a lot of what you think inside in order to build the bridges needed for your students to emote what they think...and continue to become. It's not about you, when you're a teacher. Ask any currently teaching  if they're cautioned by their PTB to watch what they post on Facebook, etc. NUMEROUS PD sessions yearly on this. Countless jobs are lost, though legally challenged yearly, because of the idiocy of what people post themselves saying and doing. Same reason many deny their rights to purchase what they might at the grocery store...because of eyes that could be watching. If you're not in the field, you don't understand the role model aspect to what we do. We just don't get to flaunt it all, purposefully...and sadly...often without meaning to. Sure "we're all adults" in the university environment, but what we say or do still affects our influence.

It's fine to differ on whether or not his mission was accomplished. But it's not hard to debate the wisdom of it. 

Aaaaaand as a left-winger (by American standards at least), this is what I want the left dropping like a hot potato. I want focus on fixing our horrific healthcare system, on stopping climate change, on guaranteeing a basic income, etc. But when people on the left focus on petty trivial grievances like this and how much clothing video game characters have, it needlessly turns people towards the right.

Or, this guy is just bored from quarantine and trolling. 

My son-in-law has a PhD from Auburn, but said he could never teach there, because they do not hire Auburn graduates. Does anyone know is if that is a university policy or perhaps just in certain departments?

Does anyone know what this guy teaches? I remember one summer semester, I took an English lit class from two bonafide hippies.  It was very interesting. It was a discussion group and we sat in a circle.  I got an A by assimilating and providing profoundly deep insight. 😂😂😂 Didn’t learn a thing except that Frank Kafka’s The Roach was very weird.  

My point being that profs will try to get you to buy into their way of thinking and figuring that out and pretending to follow along is a good way to get an A.  This guy will definitely try to influence young minds. 

22 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

We won't see him at any football, baseball, basketball or softball games.

Oh i'm sure he'll be playing some games with soft balls.

Archived