2021 OL Recruiting Thread

ellitor

Some of the quotes make Roberts remind me of Carl Lawson in terms of mindset. And they also make it sound like Bicknell is a perfect cultural fit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

...with the Tigers unable to sign more than three high school offensive linemen in a class since 2015, signing 13 total over those five classes. During that same five-year period, it’s three top rivals averaged four or more high school offensive line signees per class: Alabama (20), Georgia (23) and LSU (20).

In eight years under Malzahn, the Tigers have brought in four JUCO signees, three graduate transfers, two traditional transfers and made three position changes to bolster the offensive line.

Auburn hasn’t signed four offensive linemen 6-foot-5 or taller since the 2012 class.

Just damn...

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just damn...

Combination of Gus casting too small of a net & JB not being able to close on Gus's top targets.

Wow. So for FIVE years, Auburn has signed 39% fewer high school linemen on average than our main (and generally more successful) rivals. We have signed 3 guys for every 5 of theirs. For FIVE years. That includes Grimes and Hand. 

Our head coach is an offensive coordinator by trade. Insanity. If he has finally gained the humility to acknowledge that his way doesn't work and he needs to let somebody else do it better- which seems to be the case on at least this one issue- then better late than never, 100%, and I tip my cap to him. But man. That is some learning curve. 

No way do we get No. 1 OT and No 1 OC (the twins).  That would be too much to ask for.  Finishing in third place is not bad though.  However after the OVs (if they do happen) we will have expended a lot of time and energy and resources that maybe could have put us in a better position with Fairchild. Who knows? I would so love to steal one from UGA. This guy DF would finish off an outstanding class of OL recruits. Regardless Bicknell and Morris have done an outstanding job in their first year of recruiting at AU.  But it's not over until it's over.

28 minutes ago, autan said:

However after the OVs (if they do happen) we will have expended a lot of time and energy and resources that maybe could have put us in a better position with Fairchild.

The effort we put in with the twins will not effect the effort put in with Fairchild.

Morris (hired 12/10/19) and Bicknell (hired 1/13/20). They are already outperforming several years of OL recruitment. Talk about a desperately needed shot in the arm. While offensive performance this fall will be the ultimate evaluation, from a recruiting standpoint, with only 4-5 months on the job, these 2 coaches have exceeded expectations.

What I like is that in the past we’ve seen Gus take a boat load of OL but most were lower rated or average 3* dudes. We have two 4* hammers and honestly Langlo/Gooch could rise up.

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

we’ve seen Gus take a boat load of OL

1 out of 4 or 5 years. The other 3 or 4 he hasn't taken enough & that's been the biggest criticism for most of us on his OL recruiting.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1 out of 4 or 5 years. The other 3 or 4 he hasn't taken enough & that's been the biggest criticism for most of us on his OL recruiting.

Agreed, especially without getting true OT's 

On 5/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, Beaker said:

No - still a good question:  who was our biggest NSD surprise?

Corey Lemonier would fit in the discussion.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Corey Lemonier would fit in the discussion.

Not from the old Auburn Eagle side of things. From @Jonesy, who was connected to the program at the time, a week before NSD...

And a couple of posts from AUSportsTalk who had some of the best AU recruiting info by anyone on any site back then...

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Looks like our QB commit wants more OLs...

DD is gonna bring some talent with him for sure

Our staff has their work cut out for them trying to hold on to these four OL studs while trying to add at least one more.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not from the old Auburn Eagle side of things. From @Jonesy, who was connected to the program at the time, a week before NSD...

Then Jonesy should have told the AU coaches. TV cameras were live in the AU "war room" when Lemonier made his announcement. There was jumping, shouting,  hugging and caps were thrown in the air. That's not the sort of reaction you'd see from coaches if they thought Lemonier signing with AU was a done deal.

That was as big of a signing day surprise as I've ever witnessed. If there was message board gossip to the contrary, that just demonstrates how little message boards are really connected to the coaching staff. The coaches were happily surprised.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

thought Lemonier signing with AU was a done deal.

There you go stretching someone's words again to an extreme to fit an opinion you have. Very confident does not mean the same thing as done deal, especially in recruiting where there are very few done deals anyway.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

TV cameras were live in the AU "war room" when Lemonier made his announcement. There was jumping, shouting,  hugging and caps were thrown in the air. That's not the sort of reaction you'd see from coaches if they thought Lemonier signing with AU was a done deal.

I watched it live & remember their reaction well. FTR our staffs have always had that type of reaction on big NSD announcements whether they were confident or not. Prime examples are Monty Adams & Derrick Brown. We were confident with both but had similar reactions when they committed.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

The coaches were happily surprised.

Happy, yes because it's a time of celebration. Surprised, nope. Just respectful of FSU as a serious threat.

• 5 months later...

So we have had two linemen decommit.  Gus has to be freaking out.  He failed to sign five high school linemen last cycle and isnt likely to do that this one either.  2022 is going to be painful.

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

So we have had two linemen decommit.  Gus has to be freaking out.  He failed to sign five high school linemen last cycle and isnt likely to do that this one either.  2022 is going to be painful.

Who was the second? I know Johnson flipped to the Irish. Who was the second? Or first? Was it the Gooch kid? Wasn't he committed?

15 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Who was the second? I know Johnson flipped to the Irish. Who was the second? Or first? Was it the Gooch kid? Wasn't he committed?

@Tigerpro2aYes Gooch to the Vols.

With Tennessee tanking and O-Line not looking very good even with highly rated players any chance of Gooch coming back or picking up one of their other O-Line commits.

35 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With Tennessee tanking and O-Line not looking very good even with highly rated players any chance of Gooch coming back or picking up one of their other O-Line commits.

Any chance Gus learning to be a college coach?

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

@AuburnNTexas I haven’t read any word of Auburn showing any interest in any Tennessee OL commits, including Gooch. They seem to be determined to finish the last 1 to 2 OL spots in the class with transfers.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas I haven’t read any word of Auburn showing any interest in any Tennessee OL commits, including Gooch. They seem to be determined to finish the last 1 to 2 OL spots in the class with transfers.

I mean it is a proven track record to win championships. Saban, Dabo, Urban....all the great coaches in the modern era just expunged the High School OL recruiting and went for that heavy favored transfer portal for the real hidden gems.

59 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I mean it is a proven track record to win championships. Saban, Dabo, Urban....all the great coaches in the modern era just expunged the High School OL recruiting and went for that heavy favored transfer portal for the real hidden gems.

Well when you don't think there's many good OL options left at the high school level & you feel the roster needs an immediate upgrade the transfer portal is the best option then.

Archived