Battlegrounds

bigbird

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IronMan70 said:

Exactly, you wouldn't think you'd have to explain the obvious. 

Unfortunately, I’ve cone to the conclusion that you have to with some folks here. 

3 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

But I wouldn’t expect Homer to understand that. The Brits must not be part of the human species as well. 

HAHA, right. The Brits, the Poles, the Italians, the Hungarians and the list goes on.

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

HAHA, right. The Brits, the Poles, the Italians, the Hungarians and the list goes on.

Yep, they have figured out you can be nationalists and embrace aspects of globalism at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Yep, they have figured out you can be nationalists and embrace aspects of globalism at the same time. 

Correct, a nationalist is not an isolationist. He will protect his nation's sovereignty as he engages in agreements, treaties, organizations and other international interests.   

11 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Correct, a nationalist is not an isolationist. He will protect his nation's sovereignty as he engages in agreements, treaties, organizations and other international interests.   

But, I wouldn’t expect some of the folks here be able to grasp this concept. 

On 5/30/2020 at 3:44 PM, wdefromtx said:

But, I wouldn’t expect some of the folks here be able to grasp this concept. 

On 5/30/2020 at 3:32 PM, IronMan70 said:

But Trump’s approach to our allies isolates his brand on nationalism.

This false dichotomy between "nationalism" and globalism is exactly the sort of BS responses I would expect from the know-nothings.

At this point in human history, no rational person can deny that - for better or worse - we dominate all aspects of the planet - including the climate.  Global pandemics is just one of the consequences.

Nationalism is to globalism as local governments are to the nationalism.  They are in tension, but they don't preclude each other. (This is getting a little complex, so the know-nothings may have a problem in grasping it.)

Globalism are us.  Just like with Physics and other branches of science - it doesn't matter if you like it or not. 

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

But Trump’s approach to our allies isolates his brand on nationalism.

Can you blame our allies from wanting to run away from Trump's brand of nationalism? We need some nationalism, but I am sure know other countries just look at him when he opens his mouth and go WTF!! 

6 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Can you blame our allies from wanting to run away from Trump's brand of nationalism? We need some nationalism, but I am sure know other countries just look at him when he opens his mouth and go WTF!! 

Don’t blame them at all. We need patriotic self-interest— all countries do— not the same as nationalism.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Don’t blame them at all. We need patriotic self-interest— all countries do— not the same as nationalism.

In the form I am thinking of that is nationalism to an extent, but you still embrace globalism. You need a balance to succeed. Trump's rhetoric with it while has done some good things for us in this regards has also made other allies run for the hills to get away.

22 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

In the form I am thinking of that is nationalism to an extent, but you still embrace globalism. You need a balance to succeed. Trump's rhetoric with it while has done some good things for us in this regards has also made other allies run for the hills to get away.

What’s the good that you see done?

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

What’s the good that you see done?

When it comes to some of the international organizations we are members of, other countries are now contributing more of their resources and money as opposed to the US carrying the load. That is one of the main things.

20 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

When it comes to some of the international organizations we are members of, other countries are now contributing more of their resources and money as opposed to the US carrying the load. That is one of the main things.

How do you balance the pros and cons of his approach?

52 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

How do you balance the pros and cons of his approach?

It's the difference between leading and following.

And it's not like we're talking about a lot of money.  We probably spend more on our military in a day or two compared to the amount we spend to support global organizations.

We need a clean slate that excludes the likes of elephants and asses. 

carry on

13 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

We need a clean slate that excludes the likes of elephants and asses. 

carry on

*sigh*

two_party_system.png

Reuters released a poll with Biden +10

17 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Reuters released a poll with Biden +10

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a bump yesterday from his speech. Literally all he had to do was sound like a sane human being and a traditional, boring politician and he accomplished that at the very least. Perfectly timed. For better or for worse, I think he's about to make a big push. Just needs to protect the football. 

Edit: And nail his VP pick. Demings's time in Orlando might be a disadvantage right now.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a bump yesterday from his speech. Literally all he had to do was sound like a sane human being and a traditional, boring politician and he accomplished that at the very least. Perfectly timed. For better or for worse, I think he's about to make a big push. Just needs to protect the football. 

Edit: And nail his VP pick. Demings's time in Orlando might be a disadvantage right now.

A friend of mine and I keep saying "Run the ball" about Biden right now.  Worst thing he could do would be to beat himself.  

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

A friend of mine and I keep saying "Run the ball" about Biden right now.  Worst thing he could do would be to beat himself.  

Atlanta Falcons fan, here. Sure as hell hope Kyle Shanahan isn't running his campaign!

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

BC6D2B85-253B-43A8-BD2A-0C5DF225E2E1.gif

Can we not use the term "battlegrounds" when discussing politics?   - said Dr Goldberg, probably.

11 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Can we not use the term "battlegrounds" when discussing politics?   - said Dr Goldberg, probably.

Man. Imagine the good old days when there was just a pandemic and the president was just a normal jackass who didn't try to send the military after US citizens and people actually had time to get their panties wadded about something as trivial as that. (Btw, he only commented on what he would or wouldn't say.)

Archived