Recruiting Question around Covid-19

There are some people who think we might not play football this year. I sure hope that is not the case. If we don't play this year how will that affect scholarship numbers and bringing in new players. Will they make a 1 year exception on the 85 Rule as a lot of Seniors won't play and would probably take a Redshirt year meaning if you signed new players it would push teams over the 85 limit or would they just count it as a season for all players and take away a year of eligibility?

This is uncharted territory but they need to discuss it and have a plan in place if it happens. It is also possible that there could be a different impact from state to state as some states may rule against playing while other rule for it. How will NCAA handle that?

I'm not going to cross that bridge unless we get to it since right now it's trending more & more each day that we have a season. Interested so see other opinions though.

The way things are looking I bet there will be a season just with no fans. More and more Governors say they want sports back and football is such a big money maker I feel the NCAA is going to force it back imo

Many non-power 5 have already talked about their changes.  One example: AU's game against UMass was to pay them $1.9M.  UMass entire budget for athletics is $10M.  It works out to 19% of their entire budget being gone if they don't get that payday.  Imagine how AU would be affected if they lost 20% of their budget.  We definitely would not be talking about new facilities or stadium upgrades or anything of the such.

23 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There are some people who think we might not play football this year. I sure hope that is not the case. If we don't play this year how will that affect scholarship numbers and bringing in new players. Will they make a 1 year exception on the 85 Rule as a lot of Seniors won't play and would probably take a Redshirt year meaning if you signed new players it would push teams over the 85 limit or would they just count it as a season for all players and take away a year of eligibility?

This is uncharted territory but they need to discuss it and have a plan in place if it happens. It is also possible that there could be a different impact from state to state as some states may rule against playing while other rule for it. How will NCAA handle that?

We will be playing college football this year. Might look different but the SEC will be playing. Don't be surprised to see the players in a summer camp at the end of June. When that happens the other conferences will follow.

19 hours ago, Sizzle said:

The way things are looking I bet there will be a season just with no fans. More and more Governors say they want sports back and football is such a big money maker I feel the NCAA is going to force it back imo

NCAA isn't the one driving this. The SEC is. The NCAA will do what the SEC wants. This I know to be 100% fact. Even the talking heads on the radio are saying this. Will be monkey see, monkey do with the other conferences. I bet there will be fans in the stands for most SEC teams. For the people that want to go.

I imagine there will be some big holes to run through with the offensive linemen 6 ft apart and defensive line 6 ft from the line of scrimmage.

1 minute ago, LakeBum said:

I imagine there will be some big holes to run through with the offensive linemen 6 ft apart and defensive line 6 ft from the line of scrimmage.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47d5d2f145e34d0a592a

On 5/19/2020 at 8:39 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

It is also possible that there could be a different impact from state to state as some states may rule against playing while other rule for it. How will NCAA handle that?

I think the rule is if you have a game scheduled and you don't show up, you forfeit. I can see California colleges all going 0-12.

Archived