Auburn Claims Six National Titles

autigeremt

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At some point you have to consider playing Alabama at their own games.

5 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

At some point you have to consider playing Alabama at their own games.

Initially, I wanted to offer a retort to this. But then I realized that bama's game is "We don't care what y'all think, we're bama and we'll do what we want."

So, agreed. I think a lot of Auburn fans have been begging our PTB to play that exact game for awhile now.

Whether one sees that as following bama's lead or not is up to them. Doesn't much matter to me. It's what we should do. 

21 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Betcha USC fans still claim it, matter of fact, since nobody officially announced Auburn as the "replacement" champ.

....just wanted to clarify, since nobody announced a replacement, I say CLAIM IT!

That's all.  :beer2:

38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

....just wanted to clarify, since nobody announced a replacement, I say CLAIM IT!

That's all.  :beer2:

We are the only undefeated team (with wins) that year USC is officially 0-0 that season. Not a hard one to claim. I’d feel bad about it but I believe 100% in my heart 2004 Auburn beats USC

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We are the only undefeated team (with wins) that year USC is officially 0-0 that season. Not a hard one to claim. I’d feel bad about it but I believe 100% in my heart 2004 Auburn beats USC

AU was not losing to ANYBODY that year. I fully believe that.

I'm in total agreement that the Tigers were screwed. ....just like '83.

22 hours ago, autigeremt said:

The 83' Team doesn't need to bark any louder than posting the schedule of that season. Auburn was by far the best team in America. Miami wasn't even close. 

My bias doesn't even have to be that large in this case. ;) LOL 

And going into the bowl game, Texas was undefeated, ranked #2 and our only loss was to Texas. To be ranked 3rd and the top 2 teams lose, should have automatically allowed us to be #1.

If you think we were 3rd best and Miami 5th best going into the bowls, and the top 2 teams lost, then the finish should have been 1-Auburn 2-Miami...

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And going into the bowl game, Texas was undefeated, ranked #2 and our only loss was to Texas. To be ranked 3rd and the top 2 teams lose, should have automatically allowed us to be #1.

If you think we were 3rd best and Miami 5th best going into the bowls, and the top 2 teams lost, then the finish should have been 1-Auburn 2-Miami...

And Miami also had the advantage of getting to play their bowl game on their home field. 

I like it and I think Auburn should claim every one it reasonably can.  Some of the ones Bammer claim are not even reasonable and some are a joke.  

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If they’re legitimate claims, claim them. Hang flags. Put it up in the locker room. Make it well known to recruits. 

6 sounds SOOOO much more formidable than 2 lol

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

AU was not losing to ANYBODY that year. I fully believe that.

I'm in total agreement that the Tigers were screwed. ....just like '83.

Instead of Groundhog Day we have Groundhog Year. Other teams catch some needed breaks while the stars have to align perfectly for us. I don't want to say there's a bias against us but when we're really good so are 3 other teams with few exceptions. That's the break we just keep missing on.

Claim every one that the ncaa says we have, it’s a no brainer. No more, no less. Its all legit that way and should have been like that from the start. 

On 5/19/2020 at 7:16 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Then put the damn years in the stadium that we are officially recognized as National Champions.  Only having 57 and 2010 under the category of National Champions inside the stadium is sending a message that you do not claim in fact 6 national championships........

YES!

Have commemorative trophy's made to put in the trophy case and print the banners for ALL of the NC's - update the media guide and brag like crazy.

I think 1913 and 1983 are safe enough where you could potentially claim them, 1913 by virtue of length of time and 1983 by strength of case. But claiming 1913 is pretty iffy considering it’s so far back, and seen as an easy pick. Basically what Alabama has done with a few of theirs. 

I don’t think we should claim 1993 simply because of the probation, no championship game and no Bowl game. Sure, 1957 had the same circumstances but that was also a much different time. 

2004 - eh? It’s sort of a claim it by default because USC got it stripped. I love that team as much as anyone else but part of the appeal is also that we got screwed and there’s a mystique to the team. But there’s no doubt we were one of, if not the best, teams that year. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we claimed it.

I say go for 1983, maybe on 1913, and leave ‘93 and ‘04 for the Auburn legend/mystique.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, Phillip Marshall said:

Atcheson believed it could claim six more. And he made it happen. It wasn’t anything devious

This is a lie.

In the infamous al.com article, Atcheson said himself, “I was a competitor myself with the other schools, and what they bragged about and boasted about.”

Atcheson added five (not six) in 1986 to get to 11 so that bammer could surpass Notre Dame’s 10. That is a fact. 

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Do I have to quit making fun of the Banners for claiming all of theirs retroactively if we start doing it too? I really enjoy giving them a hard time. 

It’s their attempts at legitimacy that gets ridiculed. 

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

I think 1913 and 1983 are safe enough where you could potentially claim them, 1913 by virtue of length of time and 1983 by strength of case. But claiming 1913 is pretty iffy considering it’s so far back, and seen as an easy pick. Basically what Alabama has done with a few of theirs. 

I don’t think we should claim 1993 simply because of the probation, no championship game and no Bowl game. Sure, 1957 had the same circumstances but that was also a much different time. 

2004 - eh? It’s sort of a claim it by default because USC got it stripped. I love that team as much as anyone else but part of the appeal is also that we got screwed and there’s a mystique to the team. But there’s no doubt we were one of, if not the best, teams that year. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we claimed it.

I say go for 1983, maybe on 1913, and leave ‘93 and ‘04 for the Auburn legend/mystique.

I don't care if it's 1813...claim it.  Claim '93 and '04.  If I think long enough, I'll come up with a couple more.  They were all "mythical" national championships before the playoffs anyway...CLAIM them!

*1910: 6-1, Coach Mike Donahue
Auburn should claim national championship.

*1913: 8-0, Coach Mike Donahue

Auburn claims national championship.

*1914: 8-0-1, Coach Mike Donahue

*1932: 9-0-1, Coach Chet Wynn

*1957: 10-0 Coach Shug Jordan

*1983: 11-1, Coach Pat Dye

New York Times national champion.

*1993: 11-0, Coach Terry Bowden  ]

*2004; 13-0, Coach Tommy Tuberville

*2010: 14-0, Coach Gene Chizik

BCS national champions, consensus national champions.

I have said 7-8 in my signature for almost 16 years now. 

4 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Do I have to quit making fun of the Banners for claiming all of theirs retroactively if we start doing it too? I really enjoy giving them a hard time. 

No way, making fun of them is always on the table.  The fans make it soooo easy at times. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:19 AM, McLoofus said:

Initially, I wanted to offer a retort to this. But then I realized that bama's game is "We don't care what y'all think, we're bama and we'll do what we want."

So, agreed. I think a lot of Auburn fans have been begging our PTB to play that exact game for awhile now.

Whether one sees that as following bama's lead or not is up to them. Doesn't much matter to me. It's what we should do. 

Until we start claiming seasons in which we lost bowl games and/or other seasons because some homer at a magazine company wants to write some fictional "what-if" and retroactively award us a Natty...

I think we are pretty safe from "following Bama's footsteps" territory.

10 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Until we start claiming seasons in which we lost bowl games and/or other seasons because some homer at a magazine company wants to write some fictional "what-if" and retroactively award us a Natty...

I think we are pretty safe from "following Bama's footsteps" territory.

The polls used to vote before the bowl games were played so some of the recognized championships from that era are as legitimate as any. They must have viewed the bowls strictly as a bonus or a exhibition type game until the latter 60's - early 70's...

Though some of the math systems selected champions after the bowl games, both of the major polls released their rankings after the end of the regular season until the AP polled writers after the bowls in 1965, resulting in what was perceived at the time as a better championship selection (Alabama) than UPI's (Michigan State).[10] After 1965, the AP again voted before the bowls for two years, before permanently returning to a post-bowl vote in 1968. The coaches did not conduct a vote after the bowls until 1974, in the wake of awarding their 1973 championship to Alabama, who lost to the AP champion, undefeated Notre Dame, in the Sugar Bowl.[10] The AP and Coaches polls remain the major rankings to this day.

Archived