Auburn Claims Six National Titles

autigeremt

On 5/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, Zeek said:

We are the only undefeated team (with wins) that year USC is officially 0-0 that season. Not a hard one to claim. I’d feel bad about it but I believe 100% in my heart 2004 Auburn beats USC

On 5/20/2020 at 10:23 AM, AUsince72 said:

AU was not losing to ANYBODY that year. I fully believe that.

I'm in total agreement that the Tigers were screwed. ....just like '83.

I have always claimed 2004.

Eufaula-Tribune-20041.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gr82be said:

They must have viewed the bowls strictly as a bonus or a exhibition type game until the latter 60's - early 70's...

That's exactly how my Dad described them.  The season was completed (as well as polls) and bowls were merely exhibition games.

I THINK (could be mistaken) there are other examples of Nat'l Champs losing their bowls besides bammer.....but I only would ridicule bammer for it 🤫.

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

The polls used to vote before the bowl games were played so some of the recognized championships from that era are as legitimate as any. They must have viewed the bowls strictly as a bonus or a exhibition type game until the latter 60's - early 70's

Ah...you’re referring to bammer MNCs such as 1973...when undefeated bammer lost to undefeated Notre Dame. bammer still proudly claims that as a legit National Championship. 

Imagine if we had lost to Oregon to end the 2010 season and still claimed the National Championship.

Yup...as bammers have reasoned for decades...that was how and when they voted then. And that’s exactly why and when they changed when voting occurred. Because of farce National Championship claims such as those. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Ah...you’re referring to bammer MNCs such as 1973...when undefeated bammer lost to undefeated Notre Dame. bammer still proudly claims that as a legit National Championship. 

Imagine if we had lost to Oregon to end the 2010 season and still claimed the National Championship.

Yup...as bammers have reasoned for decades...that was how and when they voted then. And that’s exactly why and when they changed when voting occurred. Because of farce National Championship claims such as those. 

Any team that was voted number one before the bowls can claim them in that day and time. Not sure who all can do that because if Auburn isn't one of them then I don't care enough to do the research. Are you saying you are of the opinion that we toss the 57 championship since it was mythical with no bowl? 

To me, it is not right to the players or family of deceased players to not recognize what they have done. It should be about them. They put in a lot for some one to say “ you played great, won your games but, I think we will not claim it.” 

My favorite bammer claim is 1942. They finished 8-3, third in the SEC and #20 in the AP poll. Yet, they proudly hang a 1942 banner in BDS. It takes a special kind of liar to be a bammer.

About AU claiming six, I like it. None of the six we claim have to be apologized for.

I think you can make an argument for 2004 since the official champion Was stripped of the title. I’m opposed to claiming any others. We aren’t bama. We don’t invent mythical national championships to stand out. 

Then again, I don’t care as much about NCs as some of the folks on here do anyway. The NC process is nonsensical now. It was nonsensical in the BCS era. It was even more nonsensical before that. Why bother adjusting records on something that’s largely nonsensical to begin with? I’d instead just focus on our heisman numbers, program winning percentage, etc. to sell the program. 

On 5/23/2020 at 3:17 PM, gr82be said:

Any team that was voted number one before the bowls can claim them in that day and time. Not sure who all can do that because if Auburn isn't one of them then I don't care enough to do the research. Are you saying you are of the opinion that we toss the 57 championship since it was mythical with no bowl? 

Two completely different situations. 57 AU never lost. 73 bammer did. 

Oh sure...bammers claimed 73 then and still do, but no one outside of Tuscaloser gives them credit because they lost their last game. It forced the Coaches Poll to immediately change and align with the AP,  which was already voting after the Bowls for several years. 

On 5/24/2020 at 8:07 AM, Mikey said:

My favorite bammer claim is 1942. They finished 8-3, third in the SEC and #20 in the AP poll. Yet, they proudly hang a 1942 banner in BDS. It takes a special kind of liar to be a bammer.

About AU claiming six, I like it. None of the six we claim have to be apologized for.

1941. Finished 9-2. Correct on the rest. 

1941 was one of the five fabricated Atcheson “stroked with a pen.”

It is by far the most embarrassing National Championship claim in the history of the sport. 

• 1 month later...

If Auburn claims the National Championships that I posted, that gives Auburn 13 National Championships.

Archived