2022 3* DB Brian Dilworth (2/25 Decommits From AU)

toddc

10 Early offers including AU, Louisville, Kentucky, Miami, & Minnesota

Auburn lands commitment from 2022 CB Brian Dilworth

By Andrew Ivins

Auburn has picked up its second commitment in the Class of 2022.

Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna Prep cornerback Brian Dilworth told 247Sports on Tuesday that he has given a verbal pledge to the Tigers. 

“They just made it feel like home,” Dilworth said. “I talked to [AU assistant Wesley McGriff] a couple of times and I just felt that connection. We talk about more than just sports. He’s all about life lessons and stuff like that. That just made me feel comfortable.”

Dilworth started this as a sophomore for a Lions’ squad that won a 3A state title. He totaled 27 tackles and a team-high three interceptions.

“He had a heck of a season,” Chaminade-Madonna Prep head coach Damon Jones said. “He had two interceptions against Miami Central and another big breakup. That was huge. He’s just a baller. You know he can play on both sides of the ball, but defense is his thing.”

Dilworth also held early scholarship offers from Miami, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Syracuse. He said that Guz Malzahn was excited when he informed him of the news over the phone.

“He welcomed me in and was just glad that I’m committed to the school and stuff like that. He’s proud that I’m and Auburn Tiger,” Dilworth said.

Auburn has had some success recruiting Chaminade-Madonna Prep in recent years. Last cycle, the Tigers beat out Florida and others for three-star wide receiver Elijah Canyon. Before that, Malzahn & Co. were able to secure a signature from four-star athlete Shaun Shivers.

“I’m looking forward to getting up there with them,” Dilworth said. “Elijah told me about the school, he says that’s a good place.”

Dilworth, who also plays varsity volleyball as a setter and outside hitter, admitted that this time last year he probably could have never envisioned himself being committed to play football an SEC program.

“It’s crazy,” Dilworth said. “It’s a big step for me because I started out at [Hollywood Hills] where we went 1-8. I’m at Chaminade now where we we just won a state championship and now I’m going to a big school that plays in big games."

Dilworth joins Loganvile (Ga.) Grayson three-star cornerback Andre Stewart as early 2022 commitments for Auburn. While the 6-0, 175-pound defender isn’t currently ranked by 247Sports, he should receive a grade on Wednesday when the rankings are updates.

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic

More on the commitment of Brian Dilworth

By Keith Niebuhr

Rising junior cornerback Brian Dilworth of Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna Prep committed to the Auburn Tigers on Tuesday. Here's a little bit more about him ....

FIND HIM ON TWITTER: @thatboybj6

2022 CLASS NOTE: Dilworth becomes the second 2022 Tigers commitment, joining cornerback Andre Stewart of Grayson (Ga.).

RANKING/RATING: Dilworth has yet to be ranked or rated. That's not uncommon for someone in his grade. 247Sports has only started to dig into the 2022 class. There's a good chance he'll be ranked sometime this summer.

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-feet, 175 pounds.

LEAD RECRUITER: Secondary coach Wesley McGriff is Dilworth's area recruiter and position coach.

AUBURN OFFER DATE: May 10. 2020.

2019 STATS: 29 total tackles, 3 interceptions, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 fumbles caused, 3 receptions for 63 yards.

ACCOLADES: On Oct. 28, 2019, the Sun-Sentinel recognized Dilworth as a Week 10 top performer after he picked off three passes and recovered a fumble in a 27-7 win over Miami (Fla.) Central.

OF NOTE: He's a three-sport athlete (football, basketball and volleyball).

OF NOTE, PART II: In 2019, he was a starting corner for a squad that won the Class 3A state title.

TIES TO AUBURN: Dilworth is former teammates with 2020 Auburn receiver signee Elijah Canion. Tigers running back Shaun Shivers attended the same school.

FILM REVIEW: Dilworth seems to read both the quarterback and his receiver well -- and that allows him to get fairly good jumps on the ball, leading to interceptions and pass deflections. He also seems to close well. One thing defensive back coaches love right now are ball hawks -- guys who can make a strong play on the ball, not just bat it down. Dilworth appears to have that skillset. In his highlights, you see the interceptions against Central. On one, he spotted the play and got a good jump on it before stepping in front of the receiver. On another, the ball is slightly underthrown, but Dilworth jumped high on the run to get it. On each of those picks, you could see that he has the hands to pull down the ball. On video, he is shown playing off the line and in press coverage. He looks fairly natural at both, but obviously an increase in overall body strength will allow him to alter more routes at the line of scrimmage. Dilworth plays the ball well and creates incompletions with his hands action at the end. If there's another attribute that stands out, it's that he battles until the end of the play. On one pass completion (against another man), the receiver appeared to have an easy touchdown. Dilworth, though, surprised him right before he crossed the goal line and stripped him of the football. As a tackler, Dilworth shows the ability to be physical in the box if needed. All in all, he's a solid prospect and while we can't speculate on what type of rating Dilworth will get, he certainly looks like someone who has the potential to be a 4-star.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Guessing it's the 2022 CB.

Figured it might be just seemed like a pretty late “boom” to me lol

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Guessing it's the 2022 CB.

Yes, always count the "!" after the boom for the number of recruits. I suppose we have two in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yes, always count the "!" after the boom for the number of recruits. I suppose we have two in 2022.

Really? Didn't know that!

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Dilworth plays the ball well and creates incompletions with his hands action at the end. If there's another attribute that stands out, it's that he battles until the end of the play.

Like.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Really? Didn't know that!

giphy.gif

It's been a running joke & something AU fans tracked on all AU sites for a few years.

Hmmmm! I know we've been sending out 2022 offers like crazy! I'm sure it's normal but I've set Keith's tweets to notify me so I've been seeing a lot more lol.

Thanks for the cleanup! I guess I just need to let you post these things, but when I don’t see it posted I get a little overzealous. 😝 

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

Thanks for the cleanup! I guess I just need to let you post these things, but when I don’t see it posted I get a little overzealous. 😝 

You’re good. I’m basically only going to profile up OPs in new recruit threads.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:24 PM, ellitor said:

@Momma Worm can you tell us anything about this youngster?

I’m sorry, I can’t! I only watched the state game last year & I didn’t know he had an offer until he committed ... I missed regular season games do to travel for AU football. But I will see this year as my younger son will play varsity & is on the defensive part of the ball 

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

I read somewhere (can’t recall where) that 3* CB commit Brian Dilworth said when interviewed that he had not heard anything from the new AU coaching staff so isn’t sure that his offer remains.  He remains committed pending discussion with the new staff.  Anyone heard anything one way or the other about him and his offer?

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

I read somewhere (can’t recall where) that 3* CB commit Brian Dilworth said when interviewed that he had not heard anything from the new AU coaching staff so isn’t sure that his offer remains.  He remains committed pending discussion with the new staff.  Anyone heard anything one way or the other about him and his offer?

@dilligasyou just posted the latest. Keith  said the same a week ago today.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@dilligasyou just posted the latest. Keith  said the same a week ago today.

I must have seen Keith’s tweet posted somewhere because I heard that about a week ago.

• 4 weeks later...
  • ellitor changed the title to 2022 3* DB Brian Dilworth (2/25 Decommits From AU)
  • ellitor unfeatured this topic

New staff not calling kids that previous staff recruited? Doesn't seem professional not to contact the recruits and let them know where they stand, maybe that they are being reevaluated or something.

1 minute ago, autan said:

New staff not calling kids that previous staff recruited? Doesn't seem professional not to contact the recruits and let them know where they stand, maybe that they are being reevaluated or something.

May not be professional but that's the norm for derecruiting kids, including kids committed to a previous staff.

Archived