Georgetown Guard Transfer Mac McClung commits to Texas Tech

Maverick.AU

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Based on what some of you guys have said, he seems like an outlier for CBP.  CBP puts a premium on defense.  I understand a frosh who needs to be taught D, but this kid is a transfer.  HIs O may be good but is it great enough to not be able to play D?

if he wants to go next level, I’d assume he’d need to do a couple things out of the following ... grow a few inches, Improve his O (good but nba good?), play better D, be better cog on a team, play more of a PG role for his height, etc...

I like the idea of him coming if he’ll stay a couple years and be a team guy.  CBP encourages the guys to shoot if they have a good shot.  Appears MM has that part down and could do well under CBP 

Il take guys like him any day over a Flanigan who is a absolute dud offensively. I got pretty got damn tired of his awful three point bricks that were trying to renovate the arena or his go to move which was put his head down and go full boar in to the waiting arms of a defender.

I get Flanigan is easily our best defender and good wing defenders are at a premium but it's painful to watch him offensively. 

We desperately need scorers. Especially at the 2 guard. Coop is at his best when he can be a pure true point guard. Without a viable threat at the 2 coop is going to have way to much responsibility being our table setter on offense and our go to scorer.

36 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Lol. Other insiders on the site had done so a day or 2 before JLee did.

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Flanigan who is a absolute dud offensively.

Wasn't @ Tennessee. He was a good offensive factor in that game. I hope it's a sign of progress.

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We desperately need scorers. Especially at the 2 guard. Coop is at his best when he can be a pure true point guard. Without a viable threat at the 2 coop is going to have way to much responsibility being our table setter on offense and our go to scorer.

Agree

I figured UTK wouldn't make it, that just would be bad business for himself. I really think it's gonna come down to immediate opportunity and a platform to raise his brand, and the latter is definitely what Memphis is pumping (Auburn offers you a good bit of both IMO)

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He has appeared to be a "I want the spotlight" guy, but I never like to label people as career ballhogs until I see that as being concrete. Pat Ewing played hardball with the guys there, and maybe he wasn't the right one to break his players' bad tendencies (he had a couple other transfers as I understand). 

Time will tell. Maybe we will get to see. The kid pretty much has acted the same from HS on. He has always been the best player on the court and definitely the most in your face; put a show on, look at me, person on the court. He could end up being a terrific addition and a crowd favorite (Funny, like our crowd needs more hype). He definitely has the ability to pass the ball and get people involved and I guarantee Coach Pearl will help his overall game if he lets him.

One concern I have with McClung is although he's gifted offensively, his defense is not ideal. And we all know how Bruce Pearl prides in defensive side of the ball. We know McClung has NBA on his mind, and I think there's no better coach in America than Pearl to teach him defense. Otherwise he won't have any shot at NBA even with his offensive arsenal.

3 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

One concern I have with McClung is although he's gifted offensively, his defense is not ideal. And we all know how Bruce Pearl prides in defensive side of the ball. We know McClung has NBA on his mind, and I think there's no better coach in America than Pearl to teach him defense. Otherwise he won't have any shot at NBA even with his offensive arsenal.

Trust Pearl. I can remember some of his recruits, like Harper and Brown didn't come w/ very good defensive game. I can remember Pearl getting very upset early in Harper's freshman or sophomore year, about how poorly our defense was at the guards positions. Over time Harper got better and Brown got really good at defending his guy.

So i am not worried about McClung's defense. And we shouldn't either. 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Trust Pearl. I can remember some of his recruits, like Harper and Brown didn't come w/ very good defensive game. I can remember Pearl getting very upset early in Harper's freshman or sophomore year, about how poorly our defense was at the guards positions. Over time Harper got better and Brown got really good at defending his guy.

You know, being worried about his defense doesn't mean we don't want him to come to Auburn or that we don't trust Bruce to make him better. It means, quite simply, that it's a weakness of his. If he were an incoming freshman, it would be one thing, but he'll be a junior, so that's not much time to coach him up. Now, given our deficiency with scorers, that makes McClung more of a valuable piece than he would be otherwise, and he would balance the team out better than a guy whose talents are weighted toward defense. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out that he's got a long way to go before he's adequate on the defensive end.

Jared might honestly be a better defender than Mac. He’s got a 6’5 wingspan and by all accounts, Mac has baby arms, which likely means he’s worse than that. He’s also not a very smart guy on that end, and JH always seemed to have a high D IQ, just a lil bit reachy at times 

I try to go with a positive every time I say a negative about this guy, and I love the idea of running Sharife-Mac-Powell and using two of our more agile bigs as screeners. Golden State had some sets where a screen for Klay might be a decoy before doing their usual elevator door pick for Stephen. Idk if we’ve ever done anything that convoluted but with how many supposed playmakers we should have, Id hope we’d try something like that 

On 5/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Il take guys like him any day over a Flanigan who is a absolute dud offensively. I got pretty got damn tired of his awful three point bricks that were trying to renovate the arena or his go to move which was put his head down and go full boar in to the waiting arms of a defender.

I get Flanigan is easily our best defender and good wing defenders are at a premium but it's painful to watch him offensively. 

With you. He puts us on another level. With his considerable top shelf experience and moxie, he fills a serious leadership void immediately until Coop evolves, as he will. Imagine being able to control tempo at will, especially late in a game with he and Coop running the show. Beating the press. Hitting FT's to maintain a lead. Having a "go to" guy at crunch time. As for D, BP would find the best role.

21 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

Greg Gard says hi

17 hours ago, Rednilla said:

You know, being worried about his defense doesn't mean we don't want him to come to Auburn or that we don't trust Bruce to make him better. It means, quite simply, that it's a weakness of his. If he were an incoming freshman, it would be one thing, but he'll be a junior, so that's not much time to coach him up. Now, given our deficiency with scorers, that makes McClung more of a valuable piece than he would be otherwise, and he would balance the team out better than a guy whose talents are weighted toward defense. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out that he's got a long way to go before he's adequate on the defensive end.

My post never indicated nobody wanted him bc of his defense. I was just telling the poster don’t worry about his D, Pearl knows how to work w McClung to hopefully make him a better defender. 
I was told a player can always learn to be a better defender. 

and our need at the 2 is a scorer and an experienced guard which McClung fills that hole. 

hopefully his goal is not to be the starting PG cause I don’t see that happening w Cooper here. 

19 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That's what I was saying in my post, lol. I have my qualms about McClung's defense but like I mentioned in my post--there's no better coach in America than Pearl to teach him defense.

It is funny because Bruce plays up tempo people think about him as an O coach and don't think about his D. Those who watch his team a lot start to understand how important D is. It is not always about statistics when  team is scoring a lot of points every game and scoring quickly the other team will get the ball more and have a chance to score more. With Bruce point differential and key stops are what you need to look at when judging his defenses.

Like everybody I see McClung has some issues on Defense but I know he will improve with coach Pearl assuming we get him as he feels a big need offensively. That said don't be surprised to see big offensive improvements from both Cambridge and Flanagin after a year under Pearl. I just hope we can get players on campus sometime this summer. 

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Anyone know a commitment timeline for MM? Seen it could be as early as next week I think by Crain.

Nope. JBoy is the only person I have seen post a timeline.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:54 AM, JFDTiger80 said:

Kid will definitely be asked to do less, and share the spotlight more at AU than he did at Georgetown. I know he has been the center of attention on every team he has been on, up to this point, and it looks as though he likes it. He will have to give into team ball under Coach Pearl or this could be a failed experience.

Definitely...

It's kind of like all those Wide Receivers who want to be the man then realize that the only reason they were putting up huge numbers was because the had someone on the other side who was taking the pressure off. You see it every other year. You can't have Batman without Robin... In the canon. 

But the kid can ball and dunk. Hope we get him. I've been following him since his senior year. I think he came out the same year as Tyler Herro

We need efficient scorers not just scorers, I personally don't want a 6'2" wing. He needs to play point or just don't come here. A backcourt of Cooper and him would get decimated right now

I just spent a good bit of time watching some YouTube videos of him. Offensively he is the total packet he can take it to the rack in traffic and is equally adept with either had to avoid the block, he has some serious hops, his catch and shoot is effortless and quick he always is in a position to put it up it hots his hands and it is on the way. He ball fakes or dribble fakes to get open shots when somebody is closing fast, he drives and then has a sweet pullup shot (Sadly this is missing art with many players today) and he has a nice tear drop when going down the lane and is cutoff. He moves well without the ball to get open. He dribbles well and sees other players. 

Defensively he cheats and plays the passing lane so he gets steals which leads to his scoring. At 6'2" he will be overmatched at SG on defense and with him and Cooper on floor at same time our D could hurt. It really will come down to how much he buys into the Bruce Pearl Defensive philosophy as to whether he is the right fit for Auburn. Except for the elite players it is always a balancing act that the coach needs to take advantage of each players strength's and minimize their weaknesses.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

We need efficient scorers not just scorers, I personally don't want a 6'2" wing. He needs to play point or just don't come here. A backcourt of Cooper and him would get decimated right now

Sounds like you don't won't him to come. If he plays point only he will get about 5 minutes a game and you know he will not sign with AU for that much pt. We need experience in the backcourt I think you would agree.  Maybe there are better fit CG's out there

Archived