Georgetown Guard Transfer Mac McClung commits to Texas Tech

Maverick.AU

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Not a good fit for AU. Do not mind not getting him.

Not a good fit? why is that?

Other than he and his agent wanting to focus on him at PG to get him to the NBA, and we have Sharife, that is the only bad fit I see, and that was for him...not us.

He would have brought energy, and experience at the 2 spot if he was willing to play combo guard...and we still need to fill that hole...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will be alright without him. Our backcourt would've been a mess defensively with Coop/Mac starting at 1 and 2

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We will be alright without him. Our backcourt would've been a mess defensively with Coop/Mac starting at 1 and 2

Coop and Turbo or coop and Cambridge will be just as much of a mess. I would of taken the offensive trade off Mac would of brought.

Mc had his detractors on our board for sure so it's probably best for both parties that he went in another direction. I for one think he could have made a huge positive difference in our team.  We will struggle next year IMO without someone to take the big shot like Samir or take it to the hole like Okoro.  Maybe there is still someone else out there who can fill those roles that would be a better fit for our team.  AU BB really needs more experience but that usually happens right after you field a very experienced team.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Coop and Turbo or coop and Cambridge will be just as much of a mess. I would of taken the offensive trade off Mac would of brought.

Not a bad way to look at it. But I'm looking for the positives since he likely won't be coming here lol

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Not a bad way to look at it. But I'm looking for the positives since he likely won't be coming here lol

We desperately needed a go to scorer at the 2. I feel awful for Coop. His freshmen year is going to look a lot like his senior year of high school where he has to do everything offensively and he got very frustrated as the season went on. Like has been said in here he's at his best when he can be a pure point guard. He won't have that luxury next season.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We desperately needed a go to scorer at the 2. I feel awful for Coop. His freshmen year is going to look a lot like his senior year of high school where he has to do everything offensively and he got very frustrated as the season went on. Like has been said in here he's at his best when he can be a pure point guard. He won't have that luxury next season.

Unfortunately, I believe the word desperate is appropriate here. We need a 2 in a bad way right now.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We only needed one of JG or Mac or even going back to last summer BJ Boston to say yes to us for next season to be another special year. It's going to be a true rebuilding year though. I'm so freaking mad we could not find one more elite instant impact player to pair with Coop. He recruited his freaking tail off for us with JG, brown etc. I'm just totally shocked we came up empty handed. This is a great crutin class but I don't see any of them being instant impact besides coop next season. Maybe Thor but he's what only 16 or 17 years old?

Frankly, I am OK with this. McClung is an offensive talent as well as a defensive liability. Since HS, he has loved being the large billboard on the Highway, shouting, look at me. Not sure that would fit that well with our team personality. I have faith in Coach Pearl. I believe he is still talking to potential transfers. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Frankly, I am OK with this. McClung is an offensive talent as well as a defensive liability. Since HS, he has loved being the large billboard on the Highway, shouting, look at me. Not sure that would fit that well with our team personality. I have faith in Coach Pearl. I believe he is still talking to potential transfers. Time will tell.

Hes a terrible fit for Tech. Beard plays stall ball and emphasizes defense more than almost any top program. He's a perfect fit for our open run and gun and sling it offense. This makes no sense other than him just wanting to play PG and theirs just left.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Not a good fit? why is that?

Other than he and his agent wanting to focus on him at PG to get him to the NBA, and we have Sharife, that is the only bad fit I see, and that was for him...not us.

He would have brought energy, and experience at the 2 spot if he was willing to play combo guard...and we still need to fill that hole...

You just answered your own question. IF he was willing to play combo guard...he is not. Everyone sees his highlights and gets all excited. He doesn't play D, not really tall enough for a SG, and Cooper is a better PG. He won't come to AU for obvious reasons, and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

We only needed one of JG or Mac or even going back to last summer BJ Boston to say yes to us for next season to be another special year. It's going to be a true rebuilding year though. I'm so freaking mad we could not find one more elite instant impact player to pair with Coop. He recruited his freaking tail off for us with JG, brown etc. I'm just totally shocked we came up empty handed. This is a great crutin class but I don't see any of them being instant impact besides coop next season. Maybe Thor but he's what only 16 or 17 years old?

Yeah man it really sucks swinging and missing on all those guys. I really thought we would land one of the elite guys, but maybe it's too early for us to land one of those dudes just yet. We are taking steps, we are now being considered by the elite caliber athletes. I really think once we land our first one it'll really get us rollingbut this is the space we are working in now we will be having tough recruiting battles moving forward but you know that as well as anyone.

Yeah we are looking kinda grim at the 2 spot right now there is no doubt about it. I'm concerned. We NEEEEED Turbo to start tapping into what made him a 4 star recruit and most importantly we need him to have a healthy summer. But we have the coach to help him get there and also help Cambridge and Al Flan develop.

As far as this class I'm the self proclaimed president of the JT Thor fan club so I'm all in on JT being our next lottery pick!! The kid is a freak. I just hope he starts to flash that potential this year rather than next bc we are going to have to rely on him a little more than ya really want to for a true freshman

• ellitor changed the title to Georgetown Guard Transfer Mac McClung commits to Texas Tech

I don’t think it’s “not getting Mac is better than what we got”

I think it’s “not getting Mac would waste a scholly that could go to someone who doesn’t require a big trade off”

I was cool with Mac if we got him, but if you want to get someone who can greatly improve Auburn’s guard rotation, while also making sense in the system, Idk if that’s him. And since a championship run is a long shot anyway, might as well try to find ur preferred guy 

Archived