Nothing like being a parent

I've been so blessed to have a wonderful wife and three kids.  There is nothing like it when you see the hard work and dedication of one of your kids come to  pass for them.   I'd say he's wanted this since he was in the 7th grade and made the 1st visit to the A&M campus while his older sister was looking into colleges.  He received a West Point appointment when Roger Williams was our congressman.  He was white-as-a-sheet coming out of the interview that day.  It was him, 17 years old, at a table with Williams, 2 MoH winners, and 5 other retired generals/admirals and 2 wounded warriors.  He ultimately chose A&M after a lot of thoughtful conversations with former academy grads and others.  His 1st cousin was probably most influential in that decision (Naval Academy grad flying Marine Osprey's now).  He had missed having a "college" experience at Annapolis.  So that is the direction Ethan went.  His choice.  He's been able to represent A&M and the US Army at national competitions and international competitions as a Cadet.  Even played Rugby for the A&M Rugby team (his season ended last  Nov when they routed Baylor ;but he broke his wrist in the 1st half.  He never missed a play.  I had to drive down to College Station late the next week and force him to get it x-rayed after we talked about it after one of his practices (sometimes I wonder about his brains:-) .   Mom put on his shoulder boards.  He even let a broken down old NCO offer his 1st salute.  Seriously, the water running down my face was from the sweat :'(; it was over 90 and hot since they've moved all these outside to just a couple of people at time due to current circumstances.  

I am so proud of him.  I worry for him.  I pray for him.  I think he actually enjoyed yesterday...he's not one to celebrate much; unfortunately a paternal family trait; but I could tell last night he really didn't want us to go and enjoyed all the conversations and memories.  I got about 10 hugs and handshakes; multiple times as we were saying our goodbyes.  As I always say paraphrasing Mel Brooks; "it's good to be Dad".  I wished yesterday that both his grandfathers could have been there.  My Dad WW2 and Korea; Teresa's Dad whose career ended after his wounds in Vietnam; both senior NCO's; and ultimately my Dad a CWO.    They would have loved it.  I wish they could have been there to tell him how proud they were of him.  And not just for pursuing this career....just for how awesome a young man he is.  Thoughtful, funny, smart, dedicated, loves God, loves his family and loves what he does.  

God Bless you Ethan.  It's good to be Dad.  

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-20 at 17.42.54.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-20 at 18.43.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.30.57.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (7).jpeg

Screenshot (1).png

@japantiger

Brother, reading this made ME tear up....uh, urr.....it's humid in Florida. 

Seriously though.  I'm proud to have an association, no matter  how small, with your family.

God bless you sir and God bless your BA family!

War Eagle!

39 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

@japantiger

Brother, reading this made ME tear up....uh, urr.....it's humid in Florida. 

Seriously though.  I'm proud to have an association, no matter  how small, with your family.

God bless you sir and God bless your BA family!

War Eagle!

Thanks '72.  He used to set on my lap when we lived in Asia and listen to the Auburn games on the internet.  He was 5 when we moved there.  For a night game; it was Sunday afternoon...so that was all good and easy.  But for normal day games, they would be between 2:00 and 4:00 AM...he would be in his Bo jersey and would mostly sleep in my lap while we listened.   You guys might find it interesting to know that when Auburn plays A&M; he still wears his Auburn gear to the games and cheers for Auburn. 

Congratulations to Ethan and damn fine job making a man out of him, JT. 

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

Congratulations to Ethan and damn fine job making a man out of him, JT. 

Well, his mother deserves a tremendous amount of the credit.  She is an amazing woman and mother.  

39 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Well, his mother deserves a tremendous amount of the credit.  She is an amazing woman and mother.  

Credit where credit is due.  It does take a team, congrats.

21 hours ago, japantiger said:

I've been so blessed to have a wonderful wife and three kids.  There is nothing like it when you see the hard work and dedication of one of your kids come to  pass for them.   I'd say he's wanted this since he was in the 7th grade and made the 1st visit to the A&M campus while his older sister was looking into colleges.  He received a West Point appointment when Roger Williams was our congressman.  He was white-as-a-sheet coming out of the interview that day.  It was him, 17 years old, at a table with Williams, 2 MoH winners, and 5 other retired generals/admirals and 2 wounded warriors.  He ultimately chose A&M after a lot of thoughtful conversations with former academy grads and others.  His 1st cousin was probably most influential in that decision (Naval Academy grad flying Marine Osprey's now).  He had missed having a "college" experience at Annapolis.  So that is the direction Ethan went.  His choice.  He's been able to represent A&M and the US Army at national competitions and international competitions as a Cadet.  Even played Rugby for the A&M Rugby team (his season ended last  Nov when they routed Baylor ;but he broke his wrist in the 1st half.  He never missed a play.  I had to drive down to College Station late the next week and force him to get it x-rayed after we talked about it after one of his practices (sometimes I wonder about his brains:-) .   Mom put on his shoulder boards.  He even let a broken down old NCO offer his 1st salute.  Seriously, the water running down my face was from the sweat :'(; it was over 90 and hot since they've moved all these outside to just a couple of people at time due to current circumstances.  

I am so proud of him.  I worry for him.  I pray for him.  I think he actually enjoyed yesterday...he's not one to celebrate much; unfortunately a paternal family trait; but I could tell last night he really didn't want us to go and enjoyed all the conversations and memories.  I got about 10 hugs and handshakes; multiple times as we were saying our goodbyes.  As I always say paraphrasing Mel Brooks; "it's good to be Dad".  I wished yesterday that both his grandfathers could have been there.  My Dad WW2 and Korea; Teresa's Dad whose career ended after his wounds in Vietnam; both senior NCO's; and ultimately my Dad a CWO.    They would have loved it.  I wish they could have been there to tell him how proud they were of him.  And not just for pursuing this career....just for how awesome a young man he is.  Thoughtful, funny, smart, dedicated, loves God, loves his family and loves what he does.  

God Bless you Ethan.  It's good to be Dad.  

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-20 at 17.42.54.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-20 at 18.43.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.30.57.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-21 at 10.34.24 (7).jpeg

Screenshot (1).png

I'm crying. Love your pics and post...the grandfathers... trust me, they see. They are there. Add my prayers for continued safety, discernment, God's protection... and definitely for a rip-roaring, beyond-fulfilling inexpressible joy in doing what he is called and supported to do. Rejoicing with you, in gratitude for his accomplishments and sacrificial pursuits. Jeremiah 29:11!

4 hours ago, japantiger said:

Congrats to both of you for raising a fine, young man capable of making rational decisions for his future.  And ... you're right about being a parent too.  When you've been taking care of them their whole lives and then suddenly  -- WHAM -- you realize you have to take a step back because they've grown into adulthood.  Terrifying & awesomely conflicted feelings at the same time!   

Archived