2021 4* OG Jaeden Roberts

ellitor

Very impressed with how quick this large human is. Yes please, come to AU. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am remembering Arky a few yrs ago having an enormous line, but they couldn't beat many teams.

I know they had a lot of issues that went into their losing so much, but could we end up with a problem if all of our linemen are 'jumbo sized' and the QB has to sprint out every time to pass?    I do not claim to be an expert in college football except to my family and strangers;  just to be honest here.

Otherwise,  I am stoked about this latest prospect for many reason.

I feel like the guys we've landed so far have been long and lean. I wouldn't equate them to the Big 10 herd of cattle that Bielema brought in at Arky.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

had to be always open to what he wanted on offense.

Before last year he wasn't open minded offensively though. That's Bird's point & premise. He wanted his offenses to run vanilla pro sets.

coach O didn’t bring that kind of problem base w him to LSU

Not to the degree Gus did but yes he did. Whether a HC is from the O or D side of the ball all of them have offensive play style philosophies & it can be hard to let go of those philosophies if needed.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

He may be "jumbo sized"...but he isn't fat by any measure.

img.png?width=980

He's the one on the left.

FWIW from 247 Texas A&M reporter Brian Perroni on why 247 has JR a 3* while ESPN & Rivals have him a 4* & in the top 120 overall in the nation...

I'm not the one in charge of the rankings but I think the concerns are his weight. I know the national guys have looked back at all the early-round picks from the last several years and their measurements, testing numbers, etc. in high school. Most of the guys that were already this big did not go on to have the best college careers. However, I personally think Roberts is going to be a stud.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

img.png?width=980

He scares the crap out of me

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm not the one in charge of the rankings but I think the concerns are his weight. I know the national guys have looked back at all the early-round picks from the last several years and their measurements, testing numbers, etc. in high school. Most of the guys that were already this big did not go on to have the best college careers. However, I personally think Roberts is going to be a stud.

That is an interesting quote.  This guy does not look like a bad 340 lbs.  Also at 6'5", 340 is not that bad.  Seems like most OL coming out of high school now going on to major D1 schools are most all over 300.  I could see back in the day where 340 was a fat guy using his weight to over power kids, but today's athletes are 300+ and work hard to have mostly good weight.  

Just my $0.02.  What do I know.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

That is an interesting quote.  This guy does not look like a bad 340 lbs.  Also at 6'5", 340 is not that bad.  Seems like most OL coming out of high school now going on to major D1 schools are most all over 300.  I could see back in the day where 340 was a fat guy using his weight to over power kids, but today's athletes are 300+ and work hard to have mostly good weight.  

Just my $0.02.  What do I know.

You prompted me to look up some stuff and run some numbers.

Roberts weighs 1.74 lbs per centimeter of height at 196 cm. In the Super Bowl era, there have been 5 times the left guards and 4 times the right guards have averaged 1.7 lbs or more per centimeter of height. Almost all have occurred since 2005. The exceptions were 3 times the left guards were big in the early 90s- I'm guessing we can thank Dallas for that.

Interestingly- to me, at least; I'm sure some here could explain the changes in offensive philosophy (*cough* Patriots *cough*) that have led to this- Super Bowl left guards have gotten smaller since 2005 and right guards have gotten bigger.

Also of note, 6'5 is the exact average height of most Super Bowl guards on either side going back to 2005.

If Roberts were to play at 330 instead of 340, he would perfectly fit the mold of a Super Bowl right guard at 1.69 lbs per centimeter of height at 196 centimeters, and he'd be a little heavy but the right height for a modern left guard. (He'd be spot on for a left guard in 2010ish.)

He doesn't look to be carrying much bad weight, so losing 10 lbs of fat while building muscle might not be quite the slam dunk it seems on a 340 lb dude. But it certainly seems feasible.

Finally, this all assumes 340 is accurate. Blah blah numbers aren't always accurate blah.

Sauce: https://medium.com/@mscp/offensive-lineman-size-in-the-super-bowl-era-a654f4351954

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Roberts weighs 1.74 lbs per centimeter of height at 196 cm. In the Super Bowl era, there have been 5 times the left guards and 4 times the right guards have averaged 1.7 lbs or more per centimeter of height. Almost all have occurred since 2005. The exceptions were 3 times the left guards were big in the early 90s- I'm guessing we can thank Dallas for that.

Interestingly- to me, at least; I'm sure some here could explain the changes in offensive philosophy (*cough* Patriots *cough*) that have led to this- Super Bowl left guards have gotten smaller since 2005 and right guards have gotten bigger.

Also of note, 6'5 is the exact average height of most Super Bowl guards on either side going back to 2005.

If Roberts were to play at 330 instead of 340, he would perfectly fit the mold of a Super Bowl right guard at 1.69 lbs per centimeter of height at 196 centimeters, and he'd be a little heavy but the right height for a modern left guard. (He'd be spot on for a left guard in 2010ish.)

He doesn't look to be carrying much bad weight, so losing 10 lbs of fat while building muscle might not be quite the slam dunk it seems on a 340 lb dude. But it certainly seems feasible.

Finally, this all assumes 340 is accurate. Blah blah numbers aren't always accurate blah.

Sauce: https://medium.com/@mscp/offensive-lineman-size-in-the-super-bowl-era-a654f4351954

You have way too much time on your hands my friend.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Those are some great numbers @McLoofus.  I guess just judging 340 @ 6'5" wasn't quite technical enough. :) But seriously that is interesting how he matches so close to NFL size.

8 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Those are some great numbers @McLoofus.  I guess just judging 340 @ 6'5" wasn't quite technical enough. :) But seriously that is interesting how he matches so close to NFL size.

Hah! I had to do the math because I don't know what 340 @ 6'5 means, you know? Like... it's huge. But is it "fat" by offensive line standards? I was curious.

One thing that's also interesting to me is that we have seen a few more offenses in the SB lately that employ some concepts similar to what Gus and Chad like. So some of the guys in the test group likely flourish doing similar things to what Roberts would be asked to do here.

But @toddc has a point. And I'm really going to feel dumb when this kid doesn't even sign with us...

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

But O didn't try to dictate Aranda, either. He enabled him to do his job. And he just hired Bo Pelini, which suggests that he'll continue to stay out of the way.

We're saying the same thing. I believe Coach O has little understanding of Offensive details as he forte is defense so he lets his OC run what will hopefully be successful. Maybe Coach O has an idea of what he wants on offense like E said, but in the end he's not ingrained to it since he is not the expert. It shows w what he learned bringing in Brady. 

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We're saying the same thing. I believe Coach O has little understanding of Offensive details as he forte is defense so he lets his OC run what will hopefully be successful. Maybe Coach O has an idea of what he wants on offense like E said, but in the end he's not ingrained to it since he is not the expert. It shows w what he learned bringing in Brady. 

Not really saying the same thing, but it's not important enough to go any further astray in this guy's thread. 

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

img.png?width=980

I hope he plays as pissed as he looks.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yep with a little more meanness. This kid plays fiercely

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I like this kid.  He is big & plays with a mean streak.  That is exactly the kind of OL we need.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

45 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

5 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

He plays ANGRY!!!

When's the last time an OL recruit's thread looked like this? Much less on page 2.

Vapors GIFs | Tenor

I grant the guy to the right of our guy is carrying a lot of fat but man is he a big guy. If our guy is really 6'5" the other guy is at least 6'7".  That said our guy (actually hoping he is our guy) impressed me a good bit with the film Bird showed us.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

When's the last time an OL recruit's thread looked like this? Much less on page 2.

Vapors GIFs | Tenor

No joke.    

Maybe it is just because he is walking around without  a shirt on.  

You should see me without a shirt on - you would go buy me one pretty quick I imagine.

he lets his OC run what will hopefully be successful

What we’re trying to say Steele is that before Brady no Coach O was not doing that. Offensive coordinators had to run what Coach O wanted them to run. The OCs called plays But it had to be within a specific framework that fit Coach O’s philosophy. Not sure where this idea of because X coach Was defensive coach that he doesn’t have a philosophy on offense that he wants his offensive coordinators to run and adhere too came from. It’s just Simply not true in most cases.

It shows w what he learned bringing in Brady. 

No. It shows that he swallowed his pride and finally let Emsminger as well as Brady do their jobs the way they saw fit.

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My only guess would be Braden Smith.

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

the film Bird showed us.

What about the film in the OP?

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

No joke.    

Maybe it is just because he is walking around without  a shirt on.  

You should see me without a shirt on - you would go buy me one pretty quick I imagine.

Sometimes when I read your posts I wonder if fifty has hacked your account. I am going to have to start calling you Cheech and Chong. LOL

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My only guess would be Braden Smith.

That would be a good guess.

I know with Ashley it was "yahoo 5*" but I don't remember too many people talking about him looking or playing mean. 

We've been talking about it for a few years now and I think we might finally be putting a premium on brawlers. And tackles. Ugh. False hope already setting in. 

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That might just be the old age...

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

He has so far

Archived