2021 4* OG Jaeden Roberts

ellitor

49 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Welcome Jaeden!   War Dame Eagle, from Denton!  

(Katrina - we have a few thousand in the Denton area  for crying out loud, I know 100k is low)

I used to pass Denton on my way to lake Texoma as a kid living in Irving.  My childhood buddy owns Gholke Pool Supply there in Denton.  Great place!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Also, I see this bumped us into the top 20. Kind of surprised it didn't move us higher.

@Zeek we had dropped to 24th since our last commit because other teams picked up commits.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Would put us one over our OL limit but would be worth it.

Not it wouldn't Keith says we may take 6. JLee says we may take 6-8.

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

This class has the potential to end up top five imo 

Unlikely with how guys are rated currently. Would have to land all of Tommy Brockermeyer, Dylan Fairchild, & Smael Mondon just to have a shot.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not just in opening up Houston, but also in having more control over who we recruit. Bicknell's likely an upgrade over the last guy, but his hands aren't tied like the last guy's were, either. 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just repeating all the stuff you told me, bro!

tenor.gif?itemid=13126821

Boom! 4-star OL Jaeden Roberts commits to Auburn

By Keith Niebuhr

Auburn has gone into Texas to land another heralded recruit.

Just 10 days after getting a commitment from 4-star Houston North Shore quarterback Dematrius Davis, the Tigers on Wednesday picked up a verbal from his teammate, 4-star offensive guard Jaeden Roberts.

"It's a really good school, a lot of good people, the coaching staff was awesome -- couldn't ask for anything better," Roberts told Auburn Undercover.

Roberts, who said he is 6-feet-6, 330 pounds, is the No. 8 guard and No. 148 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. He starts at guard for North Shore, which won the Texas 6A D-I state championship in 2019. Prior to that season, he attended Lenexa (Kan.) St. Thomas Aquinas.

Roberts is commitment No. 9 for Auburn in the 2021 recruiting class. The Tigers now are 20th in the class rankings, up from No. 25. They were 50th just two weeks ago.

Roberts chose Auburn over numerous programs, namely Oklahoma State. At various points in his recruitment, Alabama and LSU each were considered the favorite.

Roberts has yet to visit Auburn (not unique in the Covid-19 era as many prospects are committing to schools they haven't been to before), but he did recently have a virtual visit with the Tigers. That, according to Roberts, went so well it gave him a feel not only for the staff, but for the campus and the community. Offensive coordinator Chad Morris and offensive line coach Jack Bicknell led this recruitment.

Roberts informed the Auburn coaching staff of his decision Sunday evening.

"They were excited," Roberts said. "I was happy, too, and I think it was awesome to see how excited they were for me to be apart of the program."

Davis certainly had a hand in Roberts' decision. Roberts told Auburn Undercover his teammate recruited him every bit as hard as the Tigers staff.

"That's my guy; that's my quarterback," Roberts said. "Being able to play with him up to the next level is just amazing."

Roberts' verbal gives Auburn four offensive line commitments in the class. He joins J’Marion Gooch, Caleb Johnson and Garner Langlo. The Tigers still could add a couple linemen before all is said and done.

Here is 247Sports' player evaluation of Auburn's newest commitment: "Huge interior offensive line prospect with college-ready size. Flashes impressive point-of-attack strength. Thrives in the run game thanks to size and strength. Overwhelms smaller defenders at high school level. Shows encouraging block-finishing ability. Fairly quick when pulling or getting to the second level relative to size. Shows good straight-line athleticism on tape. Will need to improve overall agility and foot quickness. Physical ceiling likely limited because of size. Can improve hand placement, as well as pad level and leverage consistency. Gets too far out over his feet at times. Power 5-caliber interior offensive line prospect who can plow the row in the run game and possesses the size to give pass-rushers a large obstacle to navigate in pass pro."

Taking full advantage of Free VIP day for this one

Recruiting Insider: Behind the Jaeden Roberts commitment

VIP By Keith Niebuhr

Two months ago, Jaeden Roberts, a talented 4-star offensive guard from Houston (Texas) North Shore, likely was headed to Oklahoma State. Wednesday, the No. 8 guard and No. 148 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite committed to Auburn, becoming the Tigers’ ninth verbal in the 2021 class. They’re now up to 20th in the 247Sports class rankings.

How did Auburn land a recruit who has yet to step foot on campus?

After talking with multiple sources, here’s a behind-the-scenes look at Roberts’ recruitment.

-Auburn started to recruit Roberts not long after offensive coordinator Chad Morris arrived at the school in December. That month, Morris attended a North Shore practice. Previously, Morris had recruited Roberts some when he was head coach at Arkansas. So even though Roberts wasn’t offered by Auburn until Feb. 26, by that time he and Morris already had built a solid foundation. Per Roberts, “I already kind of trusted him.” Another thing that also helped the Tigers was that multiple members of the North Shore staff had good things to say to Roberts about Morris. After Jack Bicknell joined the staff in January, it became a tag-team effort. Roberts quickly emerged as a top target as Auburn looks to bulk up at the line of scrimmage with big, tough and physical players.

-One thing that should be known about Roberts is that feeling comfortable with the coaches recruiting him was arguably the biggest priority. He’s family oriented and Roberts, his mother (Twanisha Riley) and step-father (Jon Riley) wanted to find a family feel in a staff. They got that with Oklahoma State — and later with Auburn. For the Tigers, the challenge of showing — not just telling — Roberts and his parents about the family vibe at Auburn was a big one, especially with on-campus recruiting off right now. That’s where his recent virtual visit really helped. According to Roberts, the Tigers knocked that out of the park as multiple coaches and support staffers got involved and took their time to give the prospect an inside look at the program and the Auburn community.

"That really opened my eyes to what Auburn has to offer," Roberts told us. "A lot of kids go just for football. For me, it’s not all about football. I want my school to feel like it’s home.”

The more Roberts communicated with people at Auburn, the more he liked it. Morris and Bicknell led the charge, with head coach Gus Malzahn also getting actively involved. With every conversation, the trust factor grew.

To Roberts, the coaches have talked to him like he is one of their own children and that is meaningful to him.

-Covid-19 shut down campus visits, but phone calls were still permitted. And Bicknell and Roberts connected often. Their conversations focused more on things outside of football and to Roberts and his parents, that showed the Tigers cared about him as a person, not just a player. “He was always asking how I was doing, how my family was, showing real good hospitality.”

-If a commitment would have been made in March, it would have gone to Oklahoma State. A native of Kansas, Roberts visited the Cowboys twice -- once as a freshman and again last fall. The things he likes in Auburn, he also saw in that program. The academics (he wants to major in business) were to his liking and he really bonded with that staff. In the Cowboys, he saw, as he put it, “Good people.”

-When did Roberts know Auburn would be his choice? After that virtual visit. It was his chat with Malzahn that pushed the Tigers over the top. While talking to Malzahn, Roberts and his mother were struck by his personality. The thought he was genuine, honest, trustworthy. The way Malzahn talked was how the people who brought up Roberts spoke. That resonated with him.

-How big of a factor was it that Auburn already holds a commitment from his 4-star teammate, quarterback Dematrius Davis? Huge, according to our intel. But that wouldn’t have mattered had Roberts not felt comfortable with the coaching staff. Having Davis opened the door, but Morris, Bicknell and Malzahn had to take things from there. Roberts made it clear, “I’m not committing to Auburn because of Dematrius.”

-Roberts would like to graduate in December and enroll at Auburn next January. It’s not set in stone, but he’s trying to make it happen.

-Once on-campus recruiting resumes, Roberts hope to visit Auburn as soon as possible. “That’s the first thing I’m doing,” he said. Because he hasn’t been to too many places, he still plans to visit other schools. But, he noted, “I’m going to Auburn.”

Never thought I would be this excited about an OG recruit.  So THIS is what real OL recruiting looks like?   Gives me hope for the future.  This dude is a Maaaaan!!!

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

It'll be interesting to see how big the quarantine boom will be

Thank God I'm too old for that nonsense

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Thank God I'm too old for that nonsense

Snip and forget...

Can we stop with the old men getting snips lol. Let’s focus on our new big man and continued success in Texas

I am telling you, the next kid who gets his picture posted without a shirt on, is gonna commit.   

Just sayin' it's gonna be a trend.  

9 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am telling you, the next kid who gets his picture posted without a shirt on, is gonna commit.   

Just sayin' it's gonna be a trend.  

tenor.gif

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

Snip and forget...

Question for you bird. With all these tall trees we are recruiting for the OL, who is going to provide the step ladder for our QB to see over them to throw?

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Does he project as a tackle or a guard?

Is there a difference...

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

Just threw up a little bit in my mouth! 😝 

56 minutes ago, toddc said:

Just threw up a little bit in my mouth! 😝 

Why did you have to quote it in your reply? Made me throw up again.

Archived