Our Time: Samir Doughty

Maverick.AU

Our Time: Why my legacy at Auburn will be defined by winning

By Samir Doughty

In the “Our Time” series, the five Auburn seniors will tell their stories in their own words. 

Fifty-five.  

In the two years I played at Auburn, it didn’t matter how many points I averaged per game. It didn’t matter how many assists I dished out or rebounds I pulled down. What mattered to me – the only thing that mattered – is that we won 55 games while I was here.  

See, I don’t have to be remembered as one of the best players to play at Auburn. But I do want to be remembered as one of the winningest players to ever put on the Auburn jersey.  

It’s been that way since I was little. I was so competitive that when my brother and I used to get off the bus from school, we would run home to see who could get there the fastest. When we got in the house, it was who was the fastest to turn the TV on? After that, who wants to play 1-on-1 basketball outside? There has always been that competitive nature. My brother is competitive. My dad is competitive. All my friends are competitive.

Growing up in Philadelphia, especially where I grew up, everybody had that edge. It makes you want to win at everything. I don’t like losing. It doesn’t matter what it is. It can be chess and if I don’t know how to play chess, I will learn how to play to win at it.  

I’ve seen a lot of different people get caught up in the environment I grew up in. Each and every day that you step outside, you always have to be looking over your shoulder, protecting yourself. You try to make the right and smart decisions because there’s always somebody that will hurt you or your family around here.

My big brother growing up, he did the best job he could to keep me out of the streets. My family did a great job. Mom and dad have always been together and always provided for me, so I never had to really make wrong decisions. It’s always been about basketball for me.  

Through basketball, I put my life on the line every day just to win for us as a family. It’s what drives me. My objective has always been to better my situation for them.  

Samir Doughty, MBB (LSU)

I remember my first year at Auburn. I sat out after transferring from VCU and I just worked on developing my jump shot because I knew how many 3s BP [Bruce Pearl] wanted to shoot. I knew how important the 3 ball was to him, so I was constantly in the gym.  

The next year, when I got to play, I was ready. I knew all the schemes. My shot had improved. Yet, I was still a role player. And that was OK. For me, not having as big of a role, that is what makes great teams – everybody playing their role and knowing how to be great in their role to become a better team. 

It was all about winning for me at that point. If I had to be the guy that wanted to be defending the best player or making an open 3 or making the big free throw or whatever the case may be, it was all about winning and putting the team first. I just tried to step up into my role and excel at that.  

What was crazy about that team is we talked about the Final Four before the season began. We knew it was something we were capable of doing. So while we were winning all those games in March, it wasn’t surprising. Maybe it was a surprise seeing we were one of four teams still playing – it’s a surprise to any team who makes it that far – but we knew we belonged.

Honestly, thinking about that team is what makes losing this past season so hard.  

The decision to stop the season was made for the right reasons. Has it been hard to hang my head knowing that I didn’t get to finish my senior year the way I would have loved to finish it? Of course. But this is more important than basketball right now. I realize that. I just wish this team had the opportunity to go win a national championship because like last year’s team, I think we were capable.  

Best fans in the country': Samir Doughty celebrates Auburn's OT win vs. LSU
As I leave Auburn, I have developed into a better basketball player. More importantly, though, I can honestly tell you I’m a better person. 

No matter what, we will always be able to reflect on the season we had. We accomplished a lot of great things, things that will never get taken away from us.  

My favorite memory is the LSU game when J’Von [McCormick] made the last shot. I just love how he willed us at the end of the game to give us a chance in overtime and allowed me to make a few baskets. I would not have been there without J’Von giving us a chance. When I think about last season, I always come to that game and am always impressed by how he carried us through the final few minutes.  

Our team continued to make history, which is why I came to Auburn.  

Now, as I leave Auburn, I have developed into a better basketball player. More importantly, though, I can honestly tell you I’m a better person.  

Bruce preached – not even preached, it’s the way he carries himself – just trying to be better each and every day as a person, as a basketball player, as everything in life. That’s what a lot of people don’t know about him. They don’t know how hard he works and how much he wants greatness from each and everybody – from him, his coaching staff, his players, everyone. He just wants you to always be your best self.  

I never had anyone that brought the best out of me like that. He challenged me all the time. I wasn’t always the guy that wanted to be challenged, but he brought that into me.  

I do feel as though we made each other better because nothing mattered to him but winning and you being a better person all around in life. We were just on the same page, and I was always able to see eye to eye with him. Even if I thought he was wrong, I knew where he was coming from because he just wanted to win and wanted you to become better.  

It’s because of BP, the other coaches and my teammates that I’m now able to chase the ultimate goal – the NBA. I feel like I belong at the next level, and all I’m trying to do is get there.  

At the top of my resume? Fifty-five wins. That's how I'm leaving Auburn. A winner.  

It’s because of BP, the other coaches and my teammates that I’m now able to chase the ultimate goal – the NBA. I feel like I belong at the next level, and all I’m trying to do is get there.  

At the top of my resume? Fifty-five wins. That's how I'm leaving Auburn. A winner.  

As a Redshirt I kept hearing how good he was then when he could play in his Junior year I was not initially that impressed by him because of the hype as a Redshirt I was expecting a scoring machine who could take over games but as the year progressed I started to see all the little things he did. Play tough D, rebound, find the open man, give up his body on loose balls and periodically having a great offensive game. 

I expected him to be better as a Senior because of the year of experience and because he was no longer a sub but a starter. I was wrong again but this time the other way as he blew my expectations away.  He has been a true asset to the team and more importantly as you read his story it shows you he is a true Auburn man who wants to win and also be the best man that he can be.

War Eagle Samir and thank you for coming to Auburn.

Samir was a huge asset to Auburn. His "Philly swag" brought a toughness to the team. He certainly never seemed intimidated. I would have loved to see him and the team finish the season. His comments about CBP were awesome. That's what recruits need to hear. He was clutch for Auburn and his defensive skills won us many games.

Great article! Thanks for posting!!!

I don't think I can ever let go the wreckless defense.....I swear that I try to.....But maybe it's not his fault maybe we don't coach great habits on defense....I literally called it during the season though, one game I think it may have been nc State or somebody like that I wrote he needs to stop jumping into jump shooters like that.......but I don't want to ruin my day I'm out

Such a well-written piece by Samir.  And I absolutely love the fact that a higher percentage of it is about how he feels he has developed as a person rather than as a basketball player.  If I'm Bruce Pearl or any of the coaches on that staff I take more pride in that than the Wins.  

Going to miss that shimmy after a made 3.

Going to miss seeing that Philly "P" on his arm (I'm a born-and-raised Philly Sports fan).

Thx for all the blood, sweat, and tears, Samir!

I'm just disappointed he doesn't get the opportunity of justice for what happened in that Virginia game last year.

I will carry that grievance to my grave along with Aaron Murray's "Back-to-goal-line" touchdown call (vs UGA 2013) and the Pass Interference call (vs LSU 2018) 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, cole256 said:

I don't think I can ever let go the wreckless defense.....I swear that I try to.....But maybe it's not his fault maybe we don't coach great habits on defense....I literally called it during the season though, one game I think it may have been nc State or somebody like that I wrote he needs to stop jumping into jump shooters like that.......but I don't want to ruin my day I'm out

Lol seriously dude? What made you think this post was the appropriate place to say all of this? Come on maaaaan. I mean really? SMH.

io4FbXU.gif

War Damn Samir shimmy shake eagle!!!!!! Going to miss that Philly swag and edge you brought to the team!!! You and j'von came up super clutch for us at various times last season!!!! That performance in your last game at Rocky top was one for the ages!!!! Woooooo!!!!! LFG!!!! Going to miss this dude. He was one of the biggest reasons for the culture change in this program!!! 

On 5/27/2020 at 1:36 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Lol seriously dude? What made you think this post was the appropriate place to say all of this? Come on maaaaan. I mean really? SMH.

io4FbXU.gif

You of all people have some nerve to say that with the things you choose to laugh and joke about....but we're talking about a national championship here so yes that's what I'll remember him for so that's why I wrote. I'm sorry I'm objective I can't just make up good things just because he is one of my favorite players 🤷🏾

Samir was really hitting his stride right in time for the postseason and it is such a shame that he could not attempt one more run in the SEC tourney and NCAA. With the way he finished the season i fully believe he was poised to carry us to atleast a handful of postseason wins. He was such a great teammate as well. He had no problem taking a back seat to Okeke, Jared, and Brown his junior season and then led the team from an offensive standpoint his senior season. The way he was able to raise his game from 1 year to the next was special and not a lot of guys can pull it off. 

Thanks for all you did for AU Samir!

You have to admire a guy from a big east coast city.  Transfers to culture shock in small college town Alabama. Patiently sits out a year. Plays as a backup his junior season. Makes a critical error at a pivotal moment that led to a loss in the biggest game in school history. Does he hang his head in shame? No. He returns for his senior season and elevates his game and the team beyond expectations in my opinion. Leads the team in scoring and steals and to a 2nd place finish in the SEC. The power of positive thinking and hard work. A winner indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this but this seems like a reasonable spot 

Archived