2021 3* TE Landen King Commits To AU!

McLoofus

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Does backfield TE = H? Does split TE = big slot? In line TE = traditional, hand-in-the-dirt TE, right?

FWIW of these Jason Caldwell thinks King will be a hybrid TE that Flexes & play the H, not a traditional hand in dirt TE.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lets hope.

Knowing that program, he'll most likely enroll around 220-230

57 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think he is fast enough to be a WR.

If he runs good routes then he can't be any slower than Cannella and we used him more as WR than TE

Well, it's good to get a kid like this, considering our new QB commit apparently wanted him on board. I'm excited about the possibility of utilizing the tight end position more abundantly going forward, and the prospect of having Morris around long enough to properly utilize all of this TE talent we're hauling in is pretty intoxicating. I do have to wonder how quickly his prospects for a head coaching position might change if we have as much success in the next year or two as we are capable of having. But this kid looks fantastic.

20 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, it's good to get a kid like this, considering our new QB commit apparently wanted him on board. I'm excited about the possibility of utilizing the tight end position more abundantly going forward, and the prospect of having Morris around long enough to properly utilize all of this TE talent we're hauling in is pretty intoxicating. I do have to wonder how quickly his prospects for a head coaching position might change if we have as much success in the next year or two as we are capable of having. But this kid looks fantastic.

It's a good question. It feels very similar to Muschamp, where we felt like his reputation was too tarnished for a big time job, and that he wouldn't leave for a small time job. But then the USC job- maybe not "big time", but a middle of the pack SEC program which makes it decidedly not small time- came open kind of out of nowhere after he had only been here a year. Nobody would take it, so they finally offered him as like their 5th or 6th choice IIRC.

So yeah, that could happen again. But I think it would have to be that kind of situation, and I think the chances are slim. Could be wrong, though. 

Oh, one other thing Muschamp had going for him which was that TRob was part of the package. TRob was a rock star recruiter at the time. (I think Lance Thompson happened more after the fact, could be wrong.) Morris won't come attached with anybody like that, I don't think. Might not be any reason to care about that, though, the way he's crushing recruiting right now. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I do have to wonder how quickly his prospects for a head coaching position might change if we have as much success in the next year or two as we are capable of having.

I've seen a couple different answers to this from connected people. 1. Chad expects 3 years best case scenario. If he leaves it will not be to be a HC at a G5 job or lower tier p5 job. It will take time to build up enough success here to land a quality p5 job after the Arky debackle or 2. He doesn't want to be a college HC again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's a good question. It feels very similar to Muschamp, where we felt like his reputation was too tarnished for a big time job, and that he wouldn't leave for a small time job. But then the USC job- maybe not "big time", but a middle of the pack SEC program which makes it decidedly not small time- came open kind of out of nowhere after he had only been here a year. Nobody would take it, so they finally offered him as like their 5th or 6th choice IIRC.

So yeah, that could happen again. But I think it would have to be that kind of situation, and I think the chances are slim. Could be wrong, though. 

Oh, one other thing Muschamp had going for him which was that TRob was part of the package. TRob was a rock star recruiter at the time. (I think Lance Thompson happened more after the fact, could be wrong.) Morris won't come attached with anybody like that, I don't think. Might not be any reason to care about that, though, the way he's crushing recruiting right now. 

Big difference between the 2 situations as of right now at least. Boom was looking for the 1st way out of AU from virtually the minute he became our DC again. That's not the case with Chad so far.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I've seen a couple different answers to this from connected people. 1. Chad expects 3 years best case scenario. If he leaves it will not be to be a HC at a G5 job or lower tier p5 job. It will take time to build up enough success here to land a quality p5 job after the Arky debackle or 2. He doesn't want to be a college HC again.

I have heard the same, though not the time limit of 3 years best case (it does make sense, I just haven't heard anyone put a number on it). I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if he didn't want to be a college HC again and things click with him and Malzahn, because that might actually facilitate Gus becoming a CEO head coach, having someone he trusts running both the offense and the defense.

I just rather doubt it's going to work out that way.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Big difference between the 2 situations as of right now at least. Boom was looking for the 1st way out of AU from virtually the minute he became our DC again. That's not the case with Chad so far.

Gotcha, thanks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

@abw0004 You just made Star Wars creepy

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e476d501b1334c12646d1

Was I the first one to make it creepy though...  😂

c32beeb0da622e0e3105df58193aebe6.gif

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Kid is real good and a great get. I just wish he was heavier.

As far as Morris. He isn't looking to go anywhere to be a HC anytime soon. He just wants to coach football. That is it. So as long as he is allowed to do his thing, he has to be successful doing his thing, and someone doesn't meddle I can see him being here for a long while.

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Don't believe he would. Pretty certain he wouldn't in fact. As long as he is allowed to do his thing and not be messed with a bunch.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

I can say with upmost certainty that he has zero desire to be a HC again in the upcoming future. Not even in his plans at all. But we all know in 3 to 4 years all that could change.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

This isn't true. He had a plan to be here at least 2 years. That job came out of nowhere and he took it. He wanted to be a HC again. That part is true. Chad has zero desire to be a HC again. That is the difference.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't true. He had a plan to be here at least 2 years. That job came out of nowhere and he took it. He wanted to be a HC again. That part is true.

Interesting. Just passing on what I think @Hunter48 said on the bunker a few weeks ago. Sorry if I misrepresented what you said Hunter.

On 6/16/2020 at 8:48 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wish he was 245lbs instead of 210.

He said in an interview on Monday that he was 215 now. Looks like he is working on adding some weight.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

He said in an interview on Monday that he was 215 now. Looks like he is working on adding some weight.

He'll most likely hit 220 before summer ends. Id look at him being around 225+ when he enrolls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I can say with upmost certainty that he has zero desire to be a HC again in the upcoming future. Not even in his plans at all. But we all know in 3 to 4 years all that could change.

This is just about what I've heard as well...besides from you.

• Thanks 1

Man it freakin feels good to have some real tangible things to be excited about regarding our program going forward. I love how we're getting athletic TEs. CCM is really making an impact I'm really hopeful we are allowed to see his fingerprints all over this offense on gamedays

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tiger said:

Man it freakin feels good to have some real tangible things to be excited about regarding our program going forward. I love how we're getting athletic TEs. CCM is really making an impact I'm really hopeful we are allowed to see his fingerprints all over this offense on gamedays

Right. Now to get this virus behind us, so we can enjoy it on the gridiron.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 8:12 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't true. He had a plan to be here at least 2 years. That job came out of nowhere and he took it. He wanted to be a HC again. That part is true. Chad has zero desire to be a HC again. That is the difference.

REALLY?

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

REALLY?

That’s the Intel he and others connected  to the program are getting.