Caylin Newton Transfers to AU as a Walk On

toddc

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Caylin-Newton-Cam-Newtons-younger-brother-will-also-be-a-Auburn-Tiger--147433570/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200522_200137_AuburnTigers&utm_content=Link

Caylin Newton, Cam's brother, will be a Tiger

Another Newton will be an Auburn Tiger.

First, there was quarterback Cam Newton, who led the program to the 2010 national title while winning the Heisman Trophy. Now, his brother will follow in his footsteps.

According to a Twitter post Friday evening from Caylin Newton, he is Auburn bound. Auburn Undercover has since confirmed this news.

Caylin Newton, a grad transfer who played quarterback at Howard, will be a preferred walk-on with Auburn -- at least at first. He is coming aboard the program as an athlete, meaning he could play anywhere from quarterback to receiver, and will have a chance to earn a scholarship.

Once a 3-star recruit from Atlanta (Ga.) Grady, the younger Newton signed with Howard out of high school. He was the 2017 MEAC Rookie of the Year. As a sophomore, Newton then was named the conference’s offensive player of the year. In 2019, Newton played in only a few games at Howard before entering the transfer portal.

Edited by toddc

So will he have two years of eligibility left, since he only played a "few" games at Howard?

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

So will he have two years of eligibility left, since he only played a "few" games at Howard?

Two years to play one. 

• Thanks 1

Howard's coach got into trouble for mistreated the players and I think student athletes who transferred got eligibility extensions

14 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Howard's coach got into trouble for mistreated the players and I think student athletes who transferred got eligibility extensions

This is surprising to me. He won’t start over Bo and won’t be around long enough to replace Bo (barring injury). I’ve been following him to see where he went but thought it’d be a smaller G5 school where he could try and shine.

Maybe he’s a receiver but we have some absolute studs at receiver that are more true to the position.

Regardless, I’m more than happy to have another Newton and his build is insane. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

This is surprising to me. He won’t start over Bo and won’t be around long enough to replace Bo (barring injury). I’ve been following him to see where he went but thought it’d be a smaller G5 school where he could try and shine.

Maybe he’s a receiver but we have some absolute studs at receiver that are more true to the position.

Regardless, I’m more than happy to have another Newton and his build is insane. 

There's room at safety. I'm just saying...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There's room at safety. I'm just saying...

Smoke and Sherwood gonna shine this year Birdy boy!!! But yeah I could see it. 

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Can the NFL give a waiver and let Bo go to pro after this season?

For who to play instead of him?

https://247sports.com/Player/Caylin-Newton-67427/

While it is exciting to have another Newton on campus, he wasn’t that highly rated out of high school. We’ve had better rated quarterbacks buried in the depth chart in recent years. He will probably be 3-4 on the depth chart next year if he remains at QB. 

I don’t think It’s a football move. He may be a good kid and be a contributor on the field. But my money is going on him just finishing his education at a place he grew fond of a few years ago. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Smoke and Sherwood gonna shine this year Birdy boy!!! But yeah I could see it. 

You don't have to tell me!

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think It’s a football move. He may be a good kid and be a contributor on the field. But my money is going on him just finishing his education at a place he grew fond of a few years ago. 

I think you’re correct. Gonna be really neat to see him take a few snaps though. All QBs eventually play during homecoming/cupcake games, and I imagine he’ll have a nice little roar when he’s in... 

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to Caylin Newton Transfers to AU as a Walk On

This guy is a true athlete . He doesn’t have to play QB to make an impact.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Can the NFL give a waiver and let Bo go to pro after this season?

No

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

This is likely on the right track. Especially since he’s a walk on he’s probably transferring to start his coaching career basically as a student assistant.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You don't have to tell me

Safety depth may not be too bad. After Smoke and Sherwood, Jason Caldwel expects Peters to be second on the depth chart at one safety and either Puckett or Reed at second at the other safety spot. He’s expecting Puckett to move to safety for what it’s worth. Oh yeah, Matthew Hill has moved to safety also. If he works out there is definitely solid depth there now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Safety depth may not be too bad. After Smoke and Sherwood, Jason Caldwel expects Peters to be second on the depth chart at one safety and either Puckett or Reed at second at the other safety spot. He’s expecting Puckett to move to safety for what it’s worth. Oh yeah, Matthew Hill has moved to safety also. If he works out there is definitely solid depth there now.

I forgot about Hill.  

ZP will be good. I could also see Thompson getting some play too

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thompson getting some play too

I knew I was forgetting someone.

giphy.gif

Depth at S could potentially be good for a change.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Two years to play one. 

@around4ever Keith added to his article. He can play 2 seasons. Likely didn't play enough in year 3 for it to count as a playing season since he left the school very early in that season.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I knew I was forgetting someone.

giphy.gif

Depth at S could potentially be good for a change.

Now corner on the other hand....

😂

• Like 1

<font color/yellow on>

Pat Forde will have a field day with this. Wonder how much we paid for Caylin to come to Auburn.

<Font color/yellow off>

War Eagle Mr. Newton !

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ladarius Tennison could end up there too. I know he’ll probably start off in the slot

11 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Ladarius Tennison could end up there too. I know he’ll probably start off in the slot

He will be at nickel and there are high expectations for him. If he progresses well Tutt may be able to move to another position if needed.