Caylin Newton Transfers to AU as a Walk On

toddc

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He will be at nickel and there are high expectations for him. If he progresses well Tutt may be able to move to another position if needed.

I could see LT getting some PT at nickel and take over when Tutt leaves. I think he'll go after this year. JMO

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He will be at nickel and there are high expectations for him. If he progresses well Tutt may be able to move to another position if needed.

The way that it’s looking Tutt may have to play outside. Maybe boundary corner

12 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t think It’s a football move. He may be a good kid and be a contributor on the field. But my money is going on him just finishing his education at a place he grew fond of a few years ago. 

Nothing at all wrong with that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DAG said:

This guy is a true athlete . He doesn’t have to play QB to make an impact.

Probably an asset in the locker room, too. 

The legacy little brother of a Heisman winner and NFL MVP and we don't have to use a scholarship? Doesn't get much better than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well, whoever is next lined up! 

So either Sandberg or another true freshman in Garnett is who you’d rather start?

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

So either Sandberg or another true freshman in Garnett is who you’d rather start?

Chayil will be a RS FR after this year and Caylin could still practice at QB in spurts, even if he did get moved. But if Bo did go to the league, I'd be content seeing a year of Caylin until Davis came in 2021. Just my preference

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Chayil will be a RS FR after this year and Caylin could still practice at QB in spurts, even if he did get moved. But if Bo did go to the league, I'd be content seeing a year of Caylin until Davis came in 2021. Just my preference

Caylin threw like 30 interceptions in 2 years at Howard. You really want to see that behind center? Sheesh

Edited by Sizzle

On 5/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, alexava said:

I don’t think It’s a football move. He may be a good kid and be a contributor on the field. But my money is going on him just finishing his education at a place he grew fond of a few years ago. 

Agree but i also think Caylin would be a good fit for the Wildcat position. I'm rarely a fan of the WC but when used with a player that can actually be a passing threat i'm ok with it in certain situations. With Boobie gone, i think Caylin could fit in those WC situations. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

🤔

If Bo plays the 2020 season (and did go pro in your senario) and Davis will be here in 2021 then where is the year that Caylin plays? Redshirt Davis? Just trying to understand what you are saying. 

Edited by gr82be

Don’t see him staying at QB myself but I’ve not a clue where he would play. 

Edited by toddc

1C433533-3F7D-433B-AA28-35FA115A0334.pngNot exactly awestruck by these numbers! Interceptions per game = 2 in most games which will probably go up in the SEC if he plays qb. Completion percentages low as well in a lot of games. It’s a little better in the few 2019 games he played but not great by any means.

Edited by toddc

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Probably an asset in the locker room, too. 

The legacy little brother of a Heisman winner and NFL MVP and we don't have to use a scholarship? Doesn't get much better than that.

I'm pretty sure Cam can foot the bill.😁

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Don’t see him staying at QB myself but I’ve not a clue where he would play. 

Thought this was already posted but I guess not. His career at Auburn is beginning at wide receiver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, toddc said:

1C433533-3F7D-433B-AA28-35FA115A0334.pngNot exactly awestruck by these numbers! Interceptions per game = 2 in most games which will probably go up in the SEC if he plays qb. Completion percentages low as well in a lot of games. It’s a little better in the few 2019 games he played but not great by any means.

He's best known for leading the win over UNLV as a 45point underdog, which was the highest point spread upset victory in Vegas history.  In his first start.  A couple of links. 

https://theundefeated.com/features/howards-upset-of-unlv-is-biggest-in-hbcu-football-history/

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20555460/howard-stuns-unlv-biggest-point-spread-upset-college-football-history

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

🤔

If Bo plays the 2020 season (and did go pro in your senario) and Davis will be here in 2021 then where is the year that Caylin plays? Redshirt Davis? Just trying to understand what you are saying. 

I thought the 21 season was a year further out than it was, never mind the scenario 

I just wanted to see Caylin play QB here once 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Caylin threw like 30 interceptions in 2 years at Howard. You really want to see that behind center? Sheesh

To me it seems like he could have a ceiling of Nick Marshall. his reading the field skills definitely needed work, but I’d have to know more about the difficulty of the offense...seems like his OC was a disciple and former player of Gus’s offense at Tulsa, which is a little different than what he runs here. The ints definitely look bad, but could they look different when you only have one read and you have Seth Williams to bail you out? Probably

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thought this was already posted but I guess not. His career at Auburn is beginning at wide receiver.

Do you know his actual 40 time?

21 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Do you know his actual 40 time?

Nope. Just know he’s a real good athlete 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope. Just know he’s a real good athlete 

I'm more concerned what he can bench!!!!!!!!!! That's the biggie

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

To me it seems like he could have a ceiling of Nick Marshall. his reading the field skills definitely needed work, but I’d have to know more about the difficulty of the offense...seems like his OC was a disciple and former player of Gus’s offense at Tulsa, which is a little different than what he runs here. The ints definitely look bad, but could they look different when you only have one read and you have Seth Williams to bail you out? Probably

He’s nowhere near Nick. I think you’re starting to underrate how good Nick actually was. Especially his natural ability to make guys miss was second to none 

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

He’s nowhere near Nick. I think you’re starting to underrate how good Nick actually was. Especially his natural ability to make guys miss was second to none 

I said his ceiling

He’s not coming to play QB so will you guys please take it to PMs or stop the debate?

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

He’s not coming to play QB so will you guys please take it to PMs or stop the debate?

But is he a better WR than Nick?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But is he a better WR than Nick?

Or Cam...

• Love 1
  • Haha 1