Caylin Newton Transfers to AU as a Walk On

toddc

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Or Cam...

Top 5 play from that season for me. It wasn't even top 25 in terms of actually winning us a trophy, but Kodi Burns throwing a dime to Cam Newton on the corner fade for a touchdown... I mean, it even had Hollywood lighting. Look at the sparkle on Kodi's helmet from the end zone camera view! One last detail... that might have been the most fun, laid back regular season SEC game all year. We didn't spend much time breathing during league play in 2010. Not until the SECCG... :bananadance:

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Top 5 play from that season for me. It wasn't even top 25 in terms of actually winning us a trophy, but Kodi Burns throwing a dime to Cam Newton on the corner fade for a touchdown... I mean, it even had Hollywood lighting. Look at the sparkle on Kodi's helmet from the end zone camera view! One last detail... that might have been the most fun, laid back regular season SEC game all year. We didn't spend much time breathing during league play in 2010. Not until the SECCG... :bananadance:

Best pass by Kodi in his career at Auburn.  

• Haha 1

Interesting take on the Caylin Newton pick-up. I don't agree with it but he is quite high on Caylin.

• Like 1

Not even going to bother listening since he's training & coming in as a WR, not a QB.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not even going to bother listening since he's training & coming in as a WR, not a QB.

I'm falling behind yet again. I thought he was coming in to increase his possibilities of a post college career not including playing. and even though I suspected a position change  I thought he was still gonna start as a qb.

18 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I'm falling behind yet again. I thought he was coming in to increase his possibilities of a post college career not including playing. and even though I suspected a position change  I thought he was still gonna start as a qb.

If he is gonna start out at AU as a QB, he is going to only get mop up practice or possibly get into a position to backup Nix. No way as a QB is he going to advance to the NFL. As E says, his only chance is to show he can learn a new position, contribute and find a way onto an NFL team. Similar to what Marshall realized he needed to do to play professionally (DB after college).

Regardless of the position he plays, the dude is obviously hoping to contribute as a player. He's already got his degree. If he only wanted to learn how to coach, then he could probably just come here as a GA or intern. (Are they the same?)

Anyway, nothing about him wanting to play ball here for a year precludes him also using this as a stepping stone closer towards a coaching career. I could even see where a year as a player in a power program- in addition to his stellar career at an HBCU- would look good on a coaching resume. Never mind the vastly larger network he's plugging into.

Seems like an everybody wins scenario worth celebrating. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

The thread is only three pages long. It’s a fairly short read to catch up. Yes he’s probably coming in to help jumpstart his coaching career but in doing that as an undergraduate player he still would have a position he plays.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

in addition to his stellar career at an HBCU- would look good on a coaching resume. Never mind the vastly larger network he's plugging into.

Ding ding ding ding!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

What do you think his role at AU will be? I’ve seen some say WR but not sure that’s a great idea either 

13 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

What do you think his role at AU will be? I’ve seen some say WR but not sure that’s a great idea either 

I don't have an opinion. Just relaying the info he's training at WR now & that's where his AU career is expected to begin.

• Like 1

What Auburn fan in his right mind wouldn’t want to see Cam Newton’s little brother come in and become a qb at AU? It’s not happening and a quick perusal of his college numbers to date will show why. He is a really good athlete though and I think he could claim a spot on the roster as a receiver, which would be a great fairytale type story in its own right!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, JBiGGiE said:

Interesting take on the Caylin Newton pick-up. I don't agree with it but he is quite high on Caylin.

This guy didn't watch the same Iron Bowl I did. Bo didn't dominate the game, but he did play really well, and Mac Jones benefited more from his stellar wide receivers than he played a superior game to Nix. I don't know anything about that kid who played at Arizona State, but he probably wasn't up against quite as stiff a test as Bo was. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

This guy didn't watch the same Iron Bowl I did. Bo didn't dominate the game, but he did play really well, and Mac Jones benefited more from his stellar wide receivers than he played a superior game to Nix. I don't know anything about that kid who played at Arizona State, but he probably wasn't up against quite as stiff a test as Bo was. 

Having watched some more of his stuff over the last few months, I don't agree with his takes.

Interesting perspectives... But I'm not onboard

I agree with the majority of that video, but I don't know about his analysis of Caylin's value. Unless he watched most of those games, which is possible with his HBCU ties, just using a statistical reference isn't enough here. But I really agree with the Howell and Daniels were definitely better than Bo sentiment, Howell in 2021-22 with the talent they have coming in is going to be something else

On 6/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, JBiGGiE said:

I am not on the Bo Nix hype train but it sure seems like this guy is forgetting Bo was a true freshman last year and played against stellar talent. There is definitely room for improvement but it sure seems like he is giving much of a less benefit of a doubt to Bo and an higher leash to Caylin, especially with that Justin Fields waiting in the wings comparison. IMO, that is a leap of speculation. 

• Like 2

Unless there has been a major announcement that I'm not aware of, Caylin Newton is trying out for a wide receiver spot at AU. Why did that guy even bother with an article speculating about him at QB?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Unless there has been a major announcement that I'm not aware of, Caylin Newton is trying out for a wide receiver spot at AU. Why did that guy even bother with an article speculating about him at QB?

Caylin Newton is a transfer from Howard and the younger brother of Auburn icon Cam Newton. 

Newton wants and will get his chance to play quarterback, but he also could end up at wide receiver.

This was in an article today and I don’t think it’s out of bounds from VIP because it’s common knowledge 

Edited by toddc

Gus has always liked having a wildcat QB. We have other candidates, but I would expect Caylin to get a shot at that. If he does well at it, who knows?  It would be nice to have a wildcat QB where throwing was a real option.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

It would be nice to have a wildcat QB where throwing was a real option

It'd be nice having more than just the fake jet power Rt...

oops, I forgot about the fake jet power Rt jump pass

So, It'd be nice having more than just those TWO plays.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Maybe he likes fan fiction 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 10:24 AM, ellitor said:

He hinted that Cord would beat Bo out. 🤔